01-04-2011, 04:19 PM #1

DIY interior installation in a Toyota Corolla?

Hi all,
    A friend of mine is having trouble with his Sirius hookup in his car. He hasn't had a professional installation of his unit -- he usually plops the radio and the cradle loose on the passenger seat, and runs the antenna along the dash and clips it to the roof exterior, usually running it out the door or rolling it up into the window while driving. This is of course sub-optimal, and he's already gone through two antennae this way. I'd like to figure out a better solution: what would be a good way to fixed-mount the dock and antenna completely inside the interior of the vehicle? It's important to minimize the outward appearance of the unit whenever possible, so that it's not noticeable from the street. Anything better than just looking into a suction cup base for the magnetic antenna? Thanks!

Head Honcho
    01-04-2011, 04:36 PM #2
    Your best bet to run that antenna inside of the vehicle is to run the wire under the carpet near the doors and up to the rear window area (or under the center console, under the rear carpet, and under the backseat to get access to the trunk to run it up to the rear window). It's the only place inside the car thats going to give you a decent signal and even then, its inferior to placing the antenna outside on the roof or the top of the trunk.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-04-2011, 07:31 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Your best bet to run that antenna inside of the vehicle is to run the wire under the carpet near the doors and up to the rear window area (or under the center console, under the rear carpet, and under the backseat to get access to the trunk to run it up to the rear window). It's the only place inside the car thats going to give you a decent signal and even then, its inferior to placing the antenna outside on the roof or the top of the trunk.
    Why the rear of the car? Does it provide superior signal over the front? That's the only place I've seen Sirius antennae placed. And thanks for your reply.

Head Honcho
    01-04-2011, 08:15 PM #4
    I am suggesting the back because who wants an antenna mounted to their nice dashboard? Why not put it back back by the 3rd break light where it is totally out of the way and will go unnoticed?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder