06-25-2008, 07:45 PM #1

Sirius-XM Merger Approval May Hinge Upon FCC's Tate

Martin submitted the merger for consideration by the other commissioners without first assuring he has three ``yes'' votes, as is his practice, said two FCC officials last week who spoke on condition of anonymity.

``I'm not at all sure there is a third vote yet,'' Andrew Jay Schwartzman, president of the Washington-based public interest group, the Media Access Project, said in an interview June 18. ``I don't have any sense where Tate is coming from.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...y.8&refer=home

-----

Interesting point of view. Kind of in opposition to Tyler's theory that Martin wouldn't make a recommendation without feeling that he had a majority locked.

06-25-2008, 11:50 PM #2
    I think the recent 4-1 vote against Martin blew the doors off that theory.

He may not have had the votes yet, but I consider both Tate and Adelstein swing votes. One of them will turn simply because of the overwhelming consumer response and they will not want to overturn the DOJ's decision.

It's a nail biter for certain.

Mentor
    06-26-2008, 05:49 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by zcurzan View Post
    "I'm not at all sure there is a third vote yet,'' Andrew Jay Schwartzman, president of the Washington-based public interest group, the Media Access Project, said in an interview June 18.
    You also need to keep in mind who said that: President of Media Access Project, a group which is not exactly happy with the concessions that were put up. Perhaps they are being hopeful, as opposed to insightful.

Always consider the source.

06-26-2008, 08:47 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    You also need to keep in mind who said that: President of Media Access Project, a group which is not exactly happy with the concessions that were put up. Perhaps they are being hopeful, as opposed to insightful.

Always consider the source.
    Good catch, I thought it was the quote from the nameless FCC official. However, whoever that official was did say that Martin put it to vote without the three locked in, right about the Media Access quote.