Thread: Internet radio not working (XP, IE 8)

Angry Internet radio not working (XP, IE 8)

Hey, All,

Sirius was working on my work machine - I usually leave my browser running - and everything was fine. I came back on a Monday after the machine was booted over the weekend - and now, no matter what, the radio doesn't work.

I get the dialog box with the player and all okay - I select a channel - usually Lithium - and nothing - I click start and stop - still nothing - no sound. The last five songs doesn't fill in - zilch. This was working fine.

Oddly enough, if I leave it open and just work - eventually, it knows that I'm not playing and I get the "click here to continue playing" message.

I tried several the tricks posted here and nothing seems to matter. I have a sneaky suspicion that some cookie somewhere is blocking me. I've cleared out the cache and history in IE8 many times.

Now, it's not the account - I use a player on my Mac at home and it works fine all the time. And, yes, I do log off of that before leaving for work so that Sirius doesn't think two players are running.

Any suggestions?

Note: Sirius is not rejecting my account login - I'm just not getting any streaming (I belive) to the player.

Help! I need my tunes!

Thanx.

peace. JOe...

Head Honcho
    Can you hear other audio? Maybe its your audio card?

If not, try accessing the player in Firefox and see if that works.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Nope - that didn't work either. Firefox doesn't show the last five box and again, no sound.

Sound card works fine - I can play iTunes and hear music just fine. Also, I can hear webEx meetings through the browser and play / hear flash files just fine.

I have no idea why Sirius' player is not playing the music...

Head Honcho
    Firefox has never shown the last 5 songs (I hate that).

Is this a work computer? Is it possible your IT Dept blocked the Sirius feed?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

No - not that. When my company blocks sites - it does it at the domain name level - so we'd never be able to get to the site at all if that was the case.

Also, it's not a bandwidth issue since lots of people have iTunes going all the time, - I can get feeds from iTunes no problem.

It's only with Sirius that I'm having this (new) problem - like I said, last week it worked fine - now nothing.

Something is being cached someplace that's not allowing the streaming to get through.

I'm going to run an experiment where I use someone else's computer and see if it works then...

JOe... getting even more ->

Head Honcho
    Testing on a coworkers machine is a good idea.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Smile

Co-worker's machine didn't work either. So, gave up on that idea.

Here's what finally did work for me (copied over from another thread I was writing in):

I finally got it working - but not with a browser. I downloaded the following:

http://software.informer.com/getfree...us-player-1.1/

But, before I ran it, I did what M$ suggested and reset the media player settings:

Open a terminal, and type the following:

regsvr32.exe wmpdxm.dll

Now, run the program from PGH Design - it's just a wrapper to the Sirius Widget - and voila, it works.

Now, if you restart, like I did, sometimes the setting gets lost - so I've had to redo the regsvr32 command whenever PGH Design's widget doesn't stream.

Not a perfect resolution - but at least I'm getting my tunes now.

Again, IE8 and Firefox will not run even after the regsvr32 command. I have no idea what the difference is between these two things - but there's something.

peace. JOe... now setting to ->

ps: memorializing the microsoft resolution (fix): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891736

8. Ad Fairy Senior Member