Page 1 of 2 12
    Guru
    11-15-2010, 05:06 PM #1

Blue States in Debt

Lloyd - you were busting my balls about TX, well here's the complete list. Now tell me what a dumbass I am. Look at this list.

http://www.businessinsider.com/meet-...read-664-bps-1

11-15-2010, 06:20 PM #2
    There is nothing necessarily informative about a state having a dem or repub for governor, or having certain programs and connecting that to their financial health. It's way more complicated than that.

California, for example, instituted regulations/laws/taxation by proposition some time ago. That is a big reason for their current condition.

Simplistic Evidence= bad.
    Objective Evidence=good.
    More Objective Evidence=better.
    Exhaustive Objective Comprehensive Evidence=best.
    Last edited by Atypical; 11-15-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Legend
    11-15-2010, 06:27 PM #3
    When S&L channels (dumbass) John, you just know he has reached the bottom
    of the barrel. Running out of ways to hide your true Republican
    support huh?

Sarah Palin's true reality: 'Free' Alaska is a welfare state that enjoys generous federal subsidies

MICHAEL DALY

Sunday, November 14th 2010, 4:00 AM

After all, we helped bankroll it.

I don't mean the new reality show.

I mean the state.

Alaska gets $1.84 in federal spending for every dollar it pays in federal taxes.

We in New York get just 79 cents on the dollar.

Which means we subsidize Alaska even as it enjoys a $2 billion-plus budget surplus.

Even as New York faces a huge deficit that will require ever more painful cuts.

And, on top of a budget surplus, Alaska has a special fund drawn from oil profits that doles out dough to every resident annually.

The check this year is $1,281 for each and every person who has resided in Alaska for a year. Those who die or are born in the midst of a year still get the full check.

The amount is liable to federal taxation, but that same $1.84 back for every dollar comes into play for the state as a whole.

All told, oil-rich Alaska tops the list of states that get more back than what they give.

So, how's that subsidy, welfare-y thing working out for ya, Sarah?

Apparently, pretty well, as she tells it on her new reality show.

"I love Alaska," Palin says in the online promo. "I understand the uniqueness of this land. It's about family and community."

She adds, "I'd rather be out here being free."

In real reality, Palin quit being governor because it would have required her to spend too much time in Alaska rather than in the lower 48, where she can promote herself and her agenda.

As shown in the reality show, Alaska has abundant wildlife and vast open spaces, but precious few voters.

However much or little Palin may like the great outdoors, there is no question that she loves a big crowd.

Grizzly bears don't laugh or cheer when you tell jokes about mama grizzlies, but those Tea Party crowds sure do.

Anyway, the only reason she is doing the reality show in the first place is to get paid and appear before a big viewing audience.

Maybe there will be more reality shows featuring other big names in the Tea Party who call for cuts in government spending even as their home states are subsidized by the rest of us.

There could be Sen. Jim DeMint's South Carolina, which gets $1.35 on the dollar.

There could also be Sen.-elect Rand Paul's Kentucky, which rakes in $1.51.

Compare those states to two that are in financial crisis and suffer an even worse balance of payments than we do in New York.

California receives only 78 cents on the dollar.

And New Jersey gets just 61 cents, though it does have a hit reality show.

The fans of "Jersey Shore" include the younger Daly girl, who expressed some surprise on hearing that Palin is participating in a reality show.

"You don't want Snooki in the White House," my daughter noted.

Just imagine the Situation in the Situation Room.

Only Palin is no Snooki and the Alaska show may actually further what seems to be her ultimate ambition.

In every state, class is almost as much a factor in our politics as race. The show may help convince even more white working people that Palin is one of their own. The subtext is that liberals are elitists, which is at least partly true.

Palin clearly harbors hopes that such passions will carry her into the White House.

If not, she can just go back to Sarah Palin's Alaska and enjoy that subsidy welfare-y thing.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 11-15-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Guru
    11-15-2010, 08:01 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    There is nothing necessarily informative about a state having a dem or repub for governor, or having certain programs and connecting that to their financial health. It's way more complicated than that.

California, for example, instituted regulations/laws/taxation by proposition some time ago. That is a big reason for their current condition.

Simplistic Evidence= bad.
    Objective Evidence=good.
    More Objective Evidence=better.
    Exhaustive Objective Comprehensive Evidence=best.
    Thank you for pointing out this out to Lloyd. After my post about what a mess CA is, he pointed out that TX was in trouble too. As you may be aware, CA is traditionally a democratic voting state, adn TX is the opposite. I accepted his assertion which was a mistake. TX is way better off than CA, NY, IL, CT, MA or NJ which are all traditionally "blue". I'm glad I found out the truth, but disappointed that he tried to mislead me by mistating the real facts.

Legend
    11-15-2010, 08:05 PM #5
    "thanks for pointing this out to Lloyd"

YOU presented the simplistic evidence.
    Hysterical. First you post about blue states being more prone to
    deficits and i respond by saying not so fast. So you try to make
    it like you were making Atypical's point, but now you are back'
    to original thesis. Wow.

You didnt read my last post did you? Of course not.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 11-16-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Guru
    11-15-2010, 08:08 PM #6
    I can't remember every bit of commentary you write here Lloyd. C'mon man.

At least Atypical had the good sense to call BS on the point. You bit, hence his comment applies to you as well as me.

Legend
    11-15-2010, 08:13 PM #7
    Yes BS on your point about the Blue States. This is your thread isnt it?

Read and learn.

Sarah Palin's true reality: 'Free' Alaska is a welfare state that enjoys generous federal subsidies

MICHAEL DALY

Sunday, November 14th 2010, 4:00 AM

After all, we helped bankroll it.

I don't mean the new reality show.

I mean the state.

Alaska gets $1.84 in federal spending for every dollar it pays in federal taxes.

We in New York get just 79 cents on the dollar.

Which means we subsidize Alaska even as it enjoys a $2 billion-plus budget surplus.

Even as New York faces a huge deficit that will require ever more painful cuts.

And, on top of a budget surplus, Alaska has a special fund drawn from oil profits that doles out dough to every resident annually.

The check this year is $1,281 for each and every person who has resided in Alaska for a year. Those who die or are born in the midst of a year still get the full check.

The amount is liable to federal taxation, but that same $1.84 back for every dollar comes into play for the state as a whole.

All told, oil-rich Alaska tops the list of states that get more back than what they give.

So, how's that subsidy, welfare-y thing working out for ya, Sarah?

Apparently, pretty well, as she tells it on her new reality show.

"I love Alaska," Palin says in the online promo. "I understand the uniqueness of this land. It's about family and community."

She adds, "I'd rather be out here being free."

In real reality, Palin quit being governor because it would have required her to spend too much time in Alaska rather than in the lower 48, where she can promote herself and her agenda.

As shown in the reality show, Alaska has abundant wildlife and vast open spaces, but precious few voters.

However much or little Palin may like the great outdoors, there is no question that she loves a big crowd.

Grizzly bears don't laugh or cheer when you tell jokes about mama grizzlies, but those Tea Party crowds sure do.

Anyway, the only reason she is doing the reality show in the first place is to get paid and appear before a big viewing audience.

Maybe there will be more reality shows featuring other big names in the Tea Party who call for cuts in government spending even as their home states are subsidized by the rest of us.

There could be Sen. Jim DeMint's South Carolina, which gets $1.35 on the dollar.

There could also be Sen.-elect Rand Paul's Kentucky, which rakes in $1.51.

Compare those states to two that are in financial crisis and suffer an even worse balance of payments than we do in New York.

California receives only 78 cents on the dollar.

And New Jersey gets just 61 cents, though it does have a hit reality show.

The fans of "Jersey Shore" include the younger Daly girl, who expressed some surprise on hearing that Palin is participating in a reality show.

"You don't want Snooki in the White House," my daughter noted.

Just imagine the Situation in the Situation Room.

Only Palin is no Snooki and the Alaska show may actually further what seems to be her ultimate ambition.

In every state, class is almost as much a factor in our politics as race. The show may help convince even more white working people that Palin is one of their own. The subtext is that liberals are elitists, which is at least partly true.

Palin clearly harbors hopes that such passions will carry her into the White House.

If not, she can just go back to Sarah Palin's Alaska and enjoy that subsidy welfare-y thing.
    Today 05:20 PM

Guru
    11-16-2010, 10:29 AM #8
    Oy vay - another Palin hating article. Whatever.

On another note, I would be curious to understand the math. For example, Alasaka GETS $1.84 for every tax dollar they pay in federal tax, and CA GETS only 78 cents to the dollar, BUT how many dollars total?

Here. I wish it were easier, but...

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/22685.html

Alaska gets 3.8% what CA gets. THREE POINT EIGHT PERCENT! CA could sneeze and lose that much money. Comparing the two without deliving into the details is oversimplistic and can lead to dangerous conclusions. You really need to be more thorough. Please refrain from posting such articles.

Legend
    11-16-2010, 10:53 AM #9
    Once again i think you missed the importance of the article. Palin isnt the important issue. Its about federal taxes. But then you were just avoiding
    the issue werent you cause your fixated on blue states versus red states.
    And of course you dont idenify as a Republican. LOL.

United States Federal Tax Dollars: Federal Tax Payments Per State

The federal taxes paid per capita vary widely by state. New England has some of the largest tax payments per capita while the states with the lowest per-capita payments are scattered elsewhere in the country.

The place with highest federal tax payments per capita is Washington, D.C., with $11,582. The state with the second-highest federal tax payments is Connecticut with $11,522 per capita. The state with the third-highest federal tax payments is New Jersey with $9,902 per capita. The fourth-highest federal tax payments per capita come from Massachusetts with $9,792. The state with fifth-highest federal tax payments per capita is Maryland with $8,812.

The state with the lowest federal tax payments is Mississippi with $4,281 per capita. The state with the second-lowest federal tax payments is Louisiana with $4,565 per capita. The state with the third-lowest federal tax payments per capita is West Virginia with $4,861. The state with the fourth-lowest federal tax payments per capita is Arkansas with $5,030. The state with the fifth-lowest federal tax payments per capita is New Mexico with $5,153.

Federal Tax Allotments Per State

The place with highest federal tax allotments per capita is Washington, D.C., with $65,109. The state with the second-highest federal tax allotments per capita is Alaska with $13,950. The state with the third-highest federal tax allotments per capita is Virginia $16,610. The state with the fourth-highest federal tax allotments per capita is Maryland with $11,956. The state with the fifth-highest federal tax allotments per capita is New Mexico with $10,733.

The state with the lowest federal tax allotments per capita is Nevada with $5,889. The state with the second-lowest federal tax allotments per capita is Utah with $5,944. The state with the third-lowest federal tax allotments per capita is Wisconsin with $6,113. The state with the fourth-lowest federal tax allotments per capita is Oregon with $6,285. The state with the fifth-lowest federal tax allotments per capita is Illinois with $6,334.

Federal Tax Dollars Received Per Tax Dollars Paid Per State

New Jersey receives 0.61 for each tax dollar paid. Nevada receives 0.65 per tax dollar paid. Connecticut receives 0.69 for each tax dollar paid New Hampshire receives 0.71 for each tax dollar it pays. Minnesota receives 0.72 per tax dollar paid. Illinois receives 0.75 for each tax dollar it pays. Delaware receives 0.77 per tax dollar paid. California receives 0.78 per tax dollar paid.

New York receives 0.79 per tax dollar paid. Colorado receives 0.81 per tax dollar paid. Massachusetts receives 0.82 for each tax dollar it pays. Wisconsin receives 0.86 per tax dollar paid. Washington receives 0.88 per tax dollar paid. Michigan receives 0.92 per tax dollar paid. Texas receives 0.94 per tax dollar paid. Florida receives 0.97 for each tax dollar it pays. Oregon receives 0.98 per tax dollar paid. Rhode Island receives 1.00 per tax dollar paid. Georgia receives 1.01 per tax dollar paid.

Indiana receives 1.05 for each tax dollar it pays. Ohio receives 1.05 per tax dollar paid. Pennsylvania receives 1.07 per tax dollar paid. Utah receives 1.07 per tax dollar paid. North Carolina receives 1.08 per tax dollar paid. Vermont receives 1.08 for each tax dollar it pays. Iowa receives 1.10 per tax dollar paid. Nebraska receives 1.10 per tax dollar paid. Wyoming receives 1.11 per tax dollar paid. Kansas receives 1.12 for each tax dollar it pays.

Arizona receives 1.19 per tax dollar paid. Idaho receives 1.21 per tax dollar paid. Tennessee receives 1.27 per tax dollar paid. Maryland receives 1.30 for each tax dollar it pays. Missouri receives 1.32 per tax dollar paid. South Carolina receives 1.35 per tax dollar paid. Oklahoma receives 1.36 per tax dollar paid. Arkansas receives 1.41 per tax dollar paid. Maine receives 1.41 per tax dollar paid. Hawaii receives 1.44 per tax dollar paid. Montana receives 1.47 per tax dollar paid.

Kentucky receives 1.51 per tax dollar paid. Virginia receives 1.51 per tax dollar paid. South Dakota receives 1.53 per tax dollar paid. Alabama receives 1.66 per tax dollar paid. North Dakota receives 1.68 per tax dollar paid. West Virginia receives 1.76 per tax dollar paid. Louisiana receives 1.78 per tax dollar paid. Alaska receives 1.84 per tax dollar paid. Mississippi receives 2.02 per tax dollar paid. New Mexico receives 2.03 per tax dollar paid.

Posted by: admin Tags: federal tax dollars, tax payments, united states
    related visualeconomic articles

Visual Economics: United States Federal Tax Dollars - VisualEconomics.com http://www.visualeconomics.com/unite...#ixzz15SOpmVmr
    http://www.visualeconomics.com/

Guru
    11-16-2010, 11:06 AM #10
    "Once again i think you missed the importance of the article. Palin isnt the important issue. Its about federal taxes. But then you were just avoiding
    the issue werent you cause your fixated on blue states versus red states.
    And of course you dont idenify as a Republican. LOL"

Hmmmmm? I posted the same information you posted, but dug down a little deeper. I understand the article perfectly. It was a Palin bash piece (which I don't mind at all) citing that Alaska is heavily subsidized by the federal government. My point was that the subsidy is actually quite small in comparison to CA's subsidy.

I swear you just like to argue.

Page 1 of 2 12