Page 2 of 3 123
    Guru
    11-04-2010, 09:40 PM #11
    Yes they do but that is because that is what you dumbasses want. I learned my lesson after building my first two. That if you really cant see it then they wont pay for it. Even if they are told what it has that others dont have then it still does not matter. Tell some dumbass that this house has 6" exterior walls and he does not get it. Tell him the house is wired with many plugs, top hot all the time, the bottom are on a switch and there are 3 switch sets on 3 ways and one switch set that ARE ON A 4 WAY, he says, SO. Show him the trim that is made with a hardwood and is finished with a poly coat, he says, who cares. Yes that is until he is paying his huge electric/gas bills, stubs a toe going to turn on a lamp, or has to walk down a dark hallway to turn off the stair/hallway lights, or 2 years later when the house starts to settle and the wood starts to dry out he sees the chaulk tear apart the huge seems (because it was pine and then panted they could cover up the crappy craftmanship using paint and chaulk).

The moral of that is, if it is your house, build it the way I used to for others. If you are building it for someone else then do it the Pulte way it is the only way you can make a living at it. Most are not willing to pay for things they dont understand and an extra 10 dollars here or an extra 50 dollars there will kill you when you have to sell yours for the same as the Pulte (and EVERY OTHER BUILDERS) house down the street. Quality cost and and most dont want to pay for it.

P.S. 3 way is a light that can be turned off/on by 2 different switches. 4 way is a light that can be turned off/on by 3 switches. I doubt very many people have even seen one, much less have one in there house. It cost 20 to 30 dollars per switch (3 are needed to make one set) compared to a normal switch that runs 59 cents (prices are when I was building).

Mentor
    11-04-2010, 10:40 PM #12
    Thanks John...I must only be part dumbass...because I actually knew what you were talking about...6" exterior walls...hot vs switch plugs...ok...you got me...not 100% about 4-way...thought 1 guy/3 sheep...So...only a partial dumbass!!!!

So...when can you start on my vacation home in Colorado...I think we would just get along swell! lol

Have a great W/E!

JS

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Yes they do but that is because that is what you dumbasses want. I learned my lesson after building my first two. That if you really cant see it then they wont pay for it. Even if they are told what it has that others dont have then it still does not matter. Tell some dumbass that this house has 6" exterior walls and he does not get it. Tell him the house is wired with many plugs, top hot all the time, the bottom are on a switch and there are 3 switch sets on 3 ways and one switch set that ARE ON A 4 WAY, he says, SO. Show him the trim that is made with a hardwood and is finished with a poly coat, he says, who cares. Yes that is until he is paying his huge electric/gas bills, stubs a toe going to turn on a lamp, or has to walk down a dark hallway to turn off the stair/hallway lights, or 2 years later when the house starts to settle and the wood starts to dry out he sees the chaulk tear apart the huge seems (because it was pine and then panted they could cover up the crappy craftmanship using paint and chaulk).

The moral of that is, if it is your house, build it the way I used to for others. If you are building it for someone else then do it the Pulte way it is the only way you can make a living at it. Most are not willing to pay for things they dont understand and an extra 10 dollars here or an extra 50 dollars there will kill you when you have to sell yours for the same as the Pulte (and EVERY OTHER BUILDERS) house down the street. Quality cost and and most dont want to pay for it.

P.S. 3 way is a light that can be turned off/on by 2 different switches. 4 way is a light that can be turned off/on by 3 switches. I doubt very many people have even seen one, much less have one in there house. It cost 20 to 30 dollars per switch (3 are needed to make one set) compared to a normal switch that runs 59 cents (prices are when I was building).

Enthusiast
    11-05-2010, 11:13 PM #13
    Hot outlets always have power. Hot on top means that the top outlet has power and the bottom outlet is controlled by a switch (often referred to as a switched outlet.

Switched outlets are popular because you can control a lamp when you enter the room vs. having to walk through a dark room to turn on the lamp the old fashioned way.

Ever wonder how to distinguish a right hand swing door from a left hand swing door?

Stand with your back against the hinge side of the frame and if the open door is on your right it is a right hand swing. If it is on your left it is a left hand swing. By the way....when you build your house use 3 foot doors as much as possible. Makes moving furniture much easier than if you use a 32 inch door.

Guru
    11-06-2010, 01:56 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Osborne View Post
    Hot outlets always have power. Hot on top means that the top outlet has power and the bottom outlet is controlled by a switch (often referred to as a switched outlet.

Switched outlets are popular because you can control a lamp when you enter the room vs. having to walk through a dark room to turn on the lamp the old fashioned way.

Ever wonder how to distinguish a right hand swing door from a left hand swing door?

Stand with your back against the hinge side of the frame and if the open door is on your right it is a right hand swing. If it is on your left it is a left hand swing. By the way....when you build your house use 3 foot doors as much as possible. Makes moving furniture much easier than if you use a 32 inch door.

Nice Tyler, except you did not really explain the difference in conveinence and expence of having all to most plugs in a room that is half and half compared to having one plug top and bottom switchable and the rest always hot (which is minimum BOCA code in a room without a cieling light). yes I know one would think it is common sense but many dont get it.

The conveinence and something many miss is that when the house is built there is no way to know just where the furnature will ALWAYS be. Therefore it limits your choices to having at least one light source next to that one plug that is switchable. The extra cost is that each plug has to be basically wired twice. While the cost in wire is not much the cost in labor is.

Also while I see what you are saying when it comes to a 3'-0" door compared to a 2'-8" door (yes the new code on that has changed from 2'-6" to now 2'-8" except for bathrooms (closets can be smaller) which is 2'-6" in some states BOCA it is even 2'-4"). The problem is that room is hard to come by in most designs. I am sure if anyone in a house that is less then 2250 sqft., gos through their house they will find if not one then several doors that do not have the room for that size of door. Dont believe me just look at BOTH SIDES of the door (you will find mostly the problem happens on the inside of the room). The reason is square footage is expensive and if you notice the door is almost always put as close to the inside wall as possible. That is because any extra room after the trim is useless space. So that extra 4 inches added to the door while maybe more conveinent for moving stuff it cost you 4 inces of square footage (OVER THE TOTAL SWING) and at an average price of 120 dollars a sqare foot (for new construction) that is a extra cost of not just the 30 to 50 dollars for the door but because it is 4 inches OVER THE TOTAL SWING, is at least another 120 dollars in lost space.

Mentor
    11-15-2010, 11:56 AM #15
    SHARES OF SIRIUS XM RADIO POTENTIALLY OVERVALUED IN TERMS OF ITS PRICE TO LAST QUARTER ANNUALIZED SALES RATIO (SIRI, CMCSA, DTV, CMCSK, OUTD)

Nov 15, 2010 (SmarTrend(R) News Watch via COMTEX) -- Below are the five companies in the Cable & Satellite industry with the highest Price To Last Quarter Annualized (LQA) Sales ratios. Price/LQA Sales is a valuable metric used to compare comparable companies using the most recent sales data on an annualized basis. Generally, the lower the ratio, the more undervalued the company.

Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ:SIRI) has the highest with a Price To Last Quarter Annualized Sales of 2.06x; Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) is next with a Price To Last Quarter Annualized Sales of 1.57x; and DIRECTV (NASDAQTV) has the next highest with a Price To Last Quarter Annualized Sales of 1.48x.

Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSK) follows with a Price To Last Quarter Annualized Sales of 1.48x and Outdoor Channel Holdings (NASDAQ:OUTD) rounds out the group with a Price To Last Quarter Annualized Sales of 1.47x.

SmarTrend currently has shares of Sirius XM Radio in an Uptrend and issued the Uptrend alert on April 14, 2010 at $1.04. The stock has risen 35.9% since the Uptrend alert was issued.

Write to Chip Brian at cbrian@tradethetrend.com

Meaningless metric . . any Siri valuation metric must be correlated to EBITDA growth rate to be relevant . . . back to the drawing board Chippy.

11-16-2010, 03:46 PM #16
    What is the play now? Markets are about to do what I called for six months ago. Sometimes genius shows it head a little early, lol. Some guy called for s and p to get down to 400, thats my kind of guy, call it as u see it. I would be adding to my shorts but I am all in already, waiting for Jan 1 to make some moves. By then all of my shorts will have rebounded past my average price, markets are mean. I sold some siri for my mother today at 1.36....I scooped these share for her on 2-18-09 .14c-.17c, nice 864 percent return. If you have a nice pop like that and don't cash some you have no business being in this business.

Is siri still under Stern watch? If he leaves he might go down in history as the man who saved and buried satellite radio, interesting. I called for the pop up from 1.20-1.50 if Stern signs, if not....scary ride down. Stock pop on good metrics, what is the down side if he walks...too scary for me.

I am putting in a stop loss for madre around 1.20. I also scooped FAZ at 12.15 today, tried to pick it off at 10.2 and 10.5, had issues with multi accounts on tdameritrade...figured it would hang out there for a few days..not so much. Up seven percent today, luv it, my biggest holding, FXP is up six, second biggest holding, getting my money back, not new money.

Feel free to scoop either of these shorts they should run for a few days.
    Good luck
    Big Ben

Guru
    11-16-2010, 05:26 PM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    What is the play now? Markets are about to do what I called for six months ago. Sometimes genius shows it head a little early, lol. Some guy called for s and p to get down to 400, thats my kind of guy, call it as u see it. I would be adding to my shorts but I am all in already, waiting for Jan 1 to make some moves. By then all of my shorts will have rebounded past my average price, markets are mean. I sold some siri for my mother today at 1.36....I scooped these share for her on 2-18-09 .14c-.17c, nice 864 percent return. If you have a nice pop like that and don't cash some you have no business being in this business.

Is siri still under Stern watch? If he leaves he might go down in history as the man who saved and buried satellite radio, interesting. I called for the pop up from 1.20-1.50 if Stern signs, if not....scary ride down. Stock pop on good metrics, what is the down side if he walks...too scary for me.

I am putting in a stop loss for madre around 1.20. I also scooped FAZ at 12.15 today, tried to pick it off at 10.2 and 10.5, had issues with multi accounts on tdameritrade...figured it would hang out there for a few days..not so much. Up seven percent today, luv it, my biggest holding, FXP is up six, second biggest holding, getting my money back, not new money.

Feel free to scoop either of these shorts they should run for a few days.
    Good luck
    Big Ben
    "Market are about to do what I called 6 months ago". First, that call expired three months ago lol. Secondly, I think you ought to consider "oversold". Some knucklehead just cited that and called a several session uptick the next few days. It may have been a bad day to pick up FAZ. I don't know. QE2 was good, now its bad. The money is in commodities - oh, wait that was last week. Oh, Ireland is going broke. Oops, no, it's fine................................. Wait, yes, Ireland is weighing heavily on the market. China is battling inflation, no, no, they aren't, that was 2 hours ago - they are now buying huge amounts of gold, hurry, get in on it. Gold is going to $5000 an ounce. Hey, look, the market is oversold......... Unemployment is down to 9.4% from 9.6% - buy buy buy....The Fed is going to blow up fanny mae and freddie mac - can you say "real estate" - get in while it's hot!!!!! get it? Back to Ireland.......

Stern - I'm thinking it's a non factor from a financial standpoint. Call me crazy, but I think most are looking at the $100,000,000 per year cost savings, not the 2, 3 or 4 MM subs lost. I tried to sell some shares at $1.60, but it was too late. For as long as I've been holding this bag, I can wait another quarter or two.

It was a nice day for my short position, but I'm so red already, it doesn't matter.

11-16-2010, 06:44 PM #18
    Here is what is going on....QE is bad and was bad. Its having the opposite affect on the markets that Ben had intended. Thank goodness. For some reason trying to inflate assets artificially sounds bad on the face, no?

Real Estate is starting to move in our area, coastal South Carolina. I have recently dropped half of my business because of the squeeze from above and below. Banks are trying to get mortgage servicing companies to do something for nothing. Charleston, SC and surrounding area is top five in the country and my work orders over the past few months show it. We winterize properties this time of year and around 80 percent of the wints have a FSBR sign in the yard. That is very unusual for unless the area is crazy hot, which it is. Boeing moved in and some of it suppliers have bought chunks of land north west of Charleston. A nice chuck of good jobs never hurts the RE market.

This GM stuff stinks to high heaven as well. No common tax payers can get shares. Screw GM. I can't wait for the bond bullies to short GM back to a buck. Major hedge fund guy said he would not touch shares of any company that has government shares, I am with him. I would like to get in on the first thirty percent pop before I dump that shit to some sucker from Michigan, lol. "They are best in class...blah..they are leaner..blah..they screwed the original bond holders, period. I don't care how many cars they sell in China. Once the Chinese figure out they are junk, they will trade them in for a well made Hyundai...that cost a fraction..I might add."

Big Ben

Guru
    11-16-2010, 07:41 PM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Here is what is going on....QE is bad and was bad. Its having the opposite affect on the markets that Ben had intended. Thank goodness. For some reason trying to inflate assets artificially sounds bad on the face, no?

Real Estate is starting to move in our area, coastal South Carolina. I have recently dropped half of my business because of the squeeze from above and below. Banks are trying to get mortgage servicing companies to do something for nothing. Charleston, SC and surrounding area is top five in the country and my work orders over the past few months show it. We winterize properties this time of year and around 80 percent of the wints have a FSBR sign in the yard. That is very unusual for unless the area is crazy hot, which it is. Boeing moved in and some of it suppliers have bought chunks of land north west of Charleston. A nice chuck of good jobs never hurts the RE market.

This GM stuff stinks to high heaven as well. No common tax payers can get shares. Screw GM. I can't wait for the bond bullies to short GM back to a buck. Major hedge fund guy said he would not touch shares of any company that has government shares, I am with him. I would like to get in on the first thirty percent pop before I dump that shit to some sucker from Michigan, lol. "They are best in class...blah..they are leaner..blah..they screwed the original bond holders, period. I don't care how many cars they sell in China. Once the Chinese figure out they are junk, they will trade them in for a well made Hyundai...that cost a fraction..I might add."

Big Ben
    Well Big Ben, one thing you didn't mention was the drubbin' the Steelers took AT HOME none the less.

Good to hear RE is moving down there. Up here in Meat-Chicken, I can show you vacant industrial parks. It is still pathetic. I was down in your area several years ago. Went to Kiawah Island for a sales meeting. Partied with the production crew from the Vagger Bance when they were filming. Good time for sure.

What is FSBR?

About GM, I'm not as cynical as you are. I'm actually hopeful. I can't stand Hyundai even though they have a technical center about 8 miles away. As my wife would say. "who would buy a Hyundai?" Evidently, lots of good, hard working Americans would, but still................

11-16-2010, 09:33 PM #20
    FSBO or FSBRealtor.

Kiawah....beautiful place. The entire coast is fifty percent off. Some condos are 70 percent off. Makes them a sweet buy if your retiring and have not been crushed in the past two years. I ran into a guy who bought a sweet ass house I wanted to buy. I called on it and it was 650k, the other day I stopped and talked with the guy....good story....just sold his house near DC and offered 350k and got it. He said same lot and house in DC would have been 1.5 million. Nice lot, nice rope fence with very nice landscaping, palms, pool, real fence around entire lot, two car garage, mother in law unit above two car unattached garage.

Wow, I have really turned into a red neck, I have a three car garage and work bench and nice shelving, side door.....but if I see someone with a four car garage...ooohhh the space. When I am in the country and I see a five car unattached garage, industrial size door, one door for the golf cart, one for the tractor.....ooooohhh. The farther away the garage from the house the better. Times they are a changin.

About them Steelers....what an asskicking. First class, grade A, ass whipping. My buddy said it best on Monday morning, He was quoting Cris Collinsworth...of all people...for those of you who don't know...he hates Pittsburgh always has....Collinsworth said the look on the face of the mighty Steelers says it all....they showed up for a smash mouth fight and the other team is not playing by the rules..they are dink and dunking as to death...Tom Brady totally exposed our defense....how does Gay even have a job...how is it on any shallow route or screen..our players are not even in the camera shot..players are wide open. After they throw it 10 times in row, they can call any run and BGE looks like Walter Payton. I can only imagine what the coaching staff had to say on Tuesday.

Big Ben

Page 2 of 3 123