Page 1 of 2 12
    10-22-2010, 10:28 PM #1

Have Lifetime Subscription. Repair or Replace Sportster?

Hello.. I have a Serius Sportster which is four or five years old, two boom boxes which I purchased for this radio, and a "lifetime" subscription to Sirius.

My Sportster stopped working last week, it gets stuck on the logo (dog picture screen) when I turn it on, and gets no signals at all. I've been looking on the internet for somewhere to get this receiveir repaired, but have not had any luck.

The advantages of getting it repaired instead of getting a new Sirius radio would be
    1. My Sportster fits into my two boom boxes, which cost about $100.00 each.
    I understand the newer Sirius receivers would not fit.

2. If I get it repaired, I wouldn't be using up one of my radio options on the lifetime subscription, which I believe is only good for 3 radios total.

The advantage of getting a new radio would be that I could try out the Sirius Stilleto or some other model which may be superior to what I am currently using. However, I'd be that much closer to the end of my subscription by transferring my account to this new receiver.

Any suggestions?

Head Honcho
    10-23-2010, 12:24 AM #2
    You should still be able to purchase older versions of the sportster so those boomboxes don't go to waste.

I could have sworn tss-radio.com was offering to take broken radios in on trade for new ones a couple of weeks ago but, I could be wrong.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-25-2010, 02:08 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    You should still be able to purchase older versions of the sportster so those boomboxes don't go to waste.

I could have sworn tss-radio.com was offering to take broken radios in on trade for new ones a couple of weeks ago but, I could be wrong.
    Well I would still be able to use the two old boom boxes if I did that. Thanks for the info.

But if I bought another older version of the Sportster, I'd have to call Sirius and activate the it with a new identification number for the receiver. Then I would lose one of my three lifetime radios allowed under the Siriuis lifetime plan.

If possible I'd like to get my existing receiver repaired, then I would still be on my first radio in the lifetime plan. I've taken it back to Bestbuy but they say they don't repair these Sirius receivers and if they are under warranty (mine is not) they just give you a new receiver.

At this point I'm looking at EBAY because a couple of sellers there seem to be selling Sirius radio repairs, although I have to E mail them for the details. Apparently you mail the receiver in to them and they check it out to see if it can be fixed.

Head Honcho
    10-25-2010, 10:55 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    But if I bought another older version of the Sportster, I'd have to call Sirius and activate the it with a new identification number for the receiver. Then I would lose one of my three lifetime radios allowed under the Siriuis lifetime plan.
    I hate that BS clause in the agreement. If they are not going to guarantee their hardware for life than a "lifetime" subscription is BS. I don't know how you could fight it and win but, I would give it a whirl with the customer support rep.

I wonder if anyone else here has gotten past the 3 change limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    If possible I'd like to get my existing receiver repaired, then I would still be on my first radio in the lifetime plan. I've taken it back to Bestbuy but they say they don't repair these Sirius receivers and if they are under warranty (mine is not) they just give you a new receiver.
    I will see if I can get one of the guys from TSS to chime in on this one.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    10-26-2010, 12:26 PM #5
    We do have a replacement receiver for you. Here's a link to the radio: http://www.tss-radio.com/products/re...alone-receiver

But, what is currently wrong with your radio? If you want it repaired, we may be able to do that. As for purchasing bad radios, we don't do that. We do currently have a buyback program, but it's only for good equipment. So if you do go with a new radio we may be interested in your older boomboxes. Here's a link to our buyback program page: http://www.tss-radio.com/pages/buyback
    Last edited by my name is matt; 10-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.

07-16-2011, 10:25 AM #6
    I sent my sportster to RepairDigital repairdigital.com. Cost was about $25. They returned it to me once, but still wasn't working right. I returned it back to them. They replaced the tuner. It required Sirius be notified of a change in the tuner serial number. Since I had the lifetime subscription, Sirius charged me $60 (marked down from $75) to change the subscription to the new tuner.
    I'm happy since it has the higher output instead of the newer models, and my docking stations don't need to be changed out.

08-13-2012, 04:54 PM #7
    OMG I have the same problem and issues . I have been trying diff things but no success. will continue and let you know but if you find a solution please share it with me. this really is a BS that they offer lifetime and it is limited to three or four equipments only and they did not disclose it up front. Howard Stern should know this and do something about it. It's like we got you by the #@$ so we don't care if your radio is discountined and are forced to buy on because we wont fix it or find a new one without using one allotment towards lifetime away.

08-13-2012, 04:56 PM #8
    did they not use up one of your radio towards your lifetime limit since you had to use diff S# ?

Head Honcho
    08-13-2012, 05:30 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    this really is a BS that they offer lifetime and it is limited to three or four equipments only and they did not disclose it up front. Howard Stern should know this and do something about it.
    It was always in the fine print. I'm not saying its not easy to miss and that the company wouldnt rather have you miss it but, it has always been in place since day one.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-18-2013, 01:00 AM #10
    Was TSS-Radio ever able to repair your Sportster (without having to register a new # with Sirius)? If not, can anyone recomend a company that can do that (repair w/o receiving a new sirius #)? So many of us have lifetime subscriptions but don't want to trade in the old radio (we only get 3 replacements, then "No mas").

Page 1 of 2 12