Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: The Tax Cut Nobody Heard of.

  1. #21
    Havakasha is offline
    From some of the things you come up with here, i could believe you swallow whatever Fox feeds you.
    Have you ever mentioned Defense spending?

    If you are good with taxes, by all means do it yourself. I find my accountant helps me out quite a bit.

  2. #22
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post

    If you are good with taxes, by all means do it yourself. I find my accountant helps me out quite a bit.
    I am logical, scientific and critical. Taxes don't pose a challange. Finance and accounting were easy compared to physical chemistry and physics. LOL.

  3. #23
    Havakasha is offline
    Yeah, but do you have as much logic and common sense as John?

  4. #24
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    From some of the things you come up with here, i could believe you swallow whatever Fox feeds you.
    Have you ever mentioned Defense spending?

    If you are good with taxes, by all means do it yourself. I find my accountant helps me out quite a bit.
    Defense spending? I'm on record saying that our government is the biggest mark on the planet; defense spending included. My issue is consistent. I want the most bang for my tax dollar (I am one of 50% of working Americans that actually pays income taxes!!). No waste, no inefficiency.... Wasn't the military the ones who bought a $600 toilet seat?

    Don't get me wrong, I want our armed forces outfitted with the safest equipment available in the world.
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 10-20-2010 at 10:19 AM.

  5. #25
    Havakasha is offline
    Glad to hear cutting the Defense Dept is part of your plan. Most Republicans and Conservatives manage somehow to leave out the Defense Dept when they talk about cutting waste.

    You dont really need to say our armed forces should be outfitted with the safest equipment available in the world. THATS A GIVEN. Just as it should be a
    given that we should have the safest food, air, water, health care, childrens toys, banking system, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-20-2010 at 10:45 AM.

  6. #26
    Havakasha is offline
    S&L, where do you get your tax information from? Fox news? Who told you 50% pay income tax? Its actually 62% and then "HOWEVER, BEING EXEMPT FROM INCOME TAX DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE EXEMPT FROM FEDERAL TAXES." . ABOUT 60% OF THOSE PEOPLE PAYING NO INCOME TAX ARE MAKING UNDER $20,000. Wow, how the hell does anyone live on less than 20,000. You seem to have zero compassion for them. I wouldnt want to have to pay income tax on that little amount if i was them.

    READ ON AND GET THE FACTS!

    This is from FACTCHECK.ORG
    http://www.factcheck.org/askfactchec...ns_pay_no.html

    "About 38 percent of households have zero or negative income tax liability, but they pay other federal taxes.
    Towards the end of the campaign, John McCain and prominent conservatives like Lou Dobbs claimed that Barack Obama's proposed tax plan would amount to welfare because it offered a tax credit to the 40 percent of Americans who pay no taxes. We've already looked into the claims that Obama's tax plan is a welfare handout (in short, it's primarily a matter of how you define "welfare," but Obama's plan doesn't look any more like welfare than McCain's). But what about that 40 percent with no tax liability? Can it really be true that more than a third of the country pays no taxes at all?

    According to the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, it is true that 38 percent of "tax units" -- which can be singles, couples, or families -- are projected to have zero or negative income tax liability in 2009. About 60 percent of these households make $20,000 per year or less.

    However, being exempt from income tax does not mean you're exempt from federal taxes. Everyone who works is liable for payroll taxes, contributions to Medicare and Social Security that come out of every paycheck. There are also excise taxes on some goods and services, most notably the 18.4 cents per gallon tax on gasoline. The Congressional Budget Office found that earners in the lowest quintile, where most of those with no income tax liability fall, shouldered 4.3 percent of the payroll tax burden in 2005 and 11.1 percent of the excise taxes. Their effective tax rate (which is calculated by dividing taxes paid by total income) in those categories, according to the CBO, was in fact significantly higher than the rate of the top quintile, although that top one-fifth of the population had a much higher effective tax rate for individual and corporate income taxes."
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-20-2010 at 10:44 AM.

  7. #27
    Atypical is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    I am logical, scientific and critical. Taxes don't pose a challange. Finance and accounting were easy compared to physical chemistry and physics. LOL.
    That's a joke, right?

  8. #28
    Havakasha is offline
    Atypical,
    Thats the funniest thing i have ever read here.
    Certainly as it applies to Science, Critical, and Logic. Can you say climate change? lol.

    Where did i hear that "funny" line before? Hmmm.

  9. #29
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    S&L, where do you get your tax information from? "
    Tax Policy Center by way of David Gergen - seems like a straight up guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gergen - advisor to Bill Clinton - and author of this article. You've seen it before.

    http://www.parade.com/news/backpage/...overnment.html

    And thanks for reminding me about all those taxes!!
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 10-20-2010 at 01:26 PM.

  10. #30
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    That's a joke, right?
    My academic acheivements are no joke.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •