Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: The Tax Cut Nobody Heard of.

  1. #11
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    OK, is the love fest of higher ideas over?

    I asked if you could provide me an effective date so I could look at my pay stubs. What's the resistance? Being the logical, scientific and critical thinker that I am, the best confirmation is visual.

    It is propoganda. Here's the definition.

    prop·a·gan·da
    [prop-uh-gan-duh] Show IPA

    –noun
    1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
    2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
    3. the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement.

    Now you're telling me that you are NOT trying to help your democratic party? Why post at all. Oh, yeah that's right. You're altruistic, and want to help us.

    OK, here's fact that hasn't been adequately addressed. Bush collected more tax receipts under his 8 years than Clinton did. Heck, I offer better ideas of why this fact occured then Lloyd did. All he did was spam the board with article after article of opinion and commentary. Then he goes on to say that the IRS receipts are wrong.

    Havakasha, please unfreak yourself. You're being kind of, well, "dramatic" would be a better choice than what I was thinking.

    All I've asked is for someone to tell me the date this was put into effect so I can check my pay stubs. For that I get "willful ignorance", and "dismiss the potency of facts"... C'mon guys?

  2. #12
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Hurry up already!

  3. #13
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Is it a post yet?

  4. #14
    Havakasha is offline
    Legend
    Havakasha's Avatar
    Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,358
    There is no propaganda in the fact of the tax cuts for 95% of the working population. Nor for how they were distributed. Show me ONE fact in the article that is untrue.

    I dont think its dramatic to say that someone who just pretends that facts dont exist is somehow acting in a purely ideological way.
    Read the article. Look at the numbers and how the tax cuts were distributed. I've presented other articles about the tax cuts. You simply deny what you dont want to be true. Will you accept the word of factcheck.org or will you say they are propagandist as well? If you cant figure out how much money YOU saved from the tax cuts then i cant help you. How about you do a little work and talk to your accountant before you deny the tax cuts happened. Ask him to tell you when the tax cuts went into effect.

    I already posted an article that showed why your facts about bush tax receipts were incorrect. How many times should i post it. Jeez.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-19-2010 at 07:28 PM.

  5. #15
    Havakasha is offline
    Legend
    Havakasha's Avatar
    Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,358
    From politifact.com

    Tax cut for 95 percent? The stimulus made it so

    "President Barack Obama talked a lot about economic recovery during his State of the Union address on Jan. 27, 2010, including the benefits of the economic stimulus bill passed last year.

    The stimulus, formally known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, included tax cuts for many Americans, Obama said.

    "We cut taxes. We cut taxes for 95 percent of working families. We cut taxes for small businesses," Obama said. "We cut taxes for first-time homebuyers. We cut taxes for parents trying to care for their children. We cut taxes for 8 million Americans paying for college."

    Democrats applauded, while Republicans were silent for the most part. In one of the unscripted moments of the night, Obama looked at the Republican side of the room, smiled and said, "I thought I'd get some applause on that one."

    Here, we wanted to check Obama's statement that he cut taxes for 95 percent of working families.

    The key word in his statement is "working." Obama's claim is based on a tax cut intended to offset payroll taxes. Under the stimulus bill, single workers got $400, and working couples got $800. The Internal Revenue Service issued new guidelines to reduce withholdings for income tax, so many workers saw a small increase in their checks in April 2009.

    The tax cut was part of Obama's campaign promises. During the campaign, Obama said he wanted $500 for each worker and $1,000 for working couples. Since the final number was a bit less than he promised, we rated his promise a Compromise on our Obameter, where we rate Obama's campaign promises for fulfillment.

    During the campaign, the independent Tax Policy Center researched how Obama's tax proposals would affect workers. It concluded 94.3 percent of workers would receive a tax cut under Obama's plan based on the tax credit to offset payroll taxes. According to the analysis, the people who wouldn't get a tax cut are those who make more than $250,000 for couples or $200,000 for a single person. Obama said he intended to raise taxes on those high earners, a promise he reiterated during the State of the Union, and that revenue would offset the stimulus tax cut.

    Because the stimulus act did give that broad-based tax cut to workers, we rate Obama's statement True."

    S&L. DO YOU READ?

    "BECAUSE THE STIMULUS ACT DID GIVE THAT BROAD BASED TAX CUT TO WORKERS WE RATE OBAMA'S STATEMENT TRUE"
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-19-2010 at 07:47 PM.

  6. #16
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I dont think its dramatic to say that someone who just pretends that facts dont exist is somehow acting in a purely ideological way.
    Read the article. Look at the numbers and how the tax cuts were distributed. I've presented other articles about the tax cuts. You simply deny what you dont want to be true. Will you accept the word of factcheck.org or will you say they are propagandist as well? If you cant figure out how much money YOU saved from the tax cuts then i cant help you. How about you do a little work and talk to your accountant before you deny the tax cuts happened. Ask him to tell you when the tax cuts went into effect.

    I already posted an article that showed why your facts about bush tax receipts were incorrect. How many times should i post it. Jeez.
    Alas!

    Who denied the tax decreases didn't exist? As I said, I may be on of the many who didn't see it, or one of the 5% who didn't get one. Don't know and asked for a date so I can go see for myself, (and I can't afford a tax accountant lol). Who denied that the stimulus package didn't work? What I've said consistently is that I haven't seen it in my industry. Period. I see the road projects.....

    Facts do exist. Let's not get into some discussion on what "is" is. I've read your "so called facts" regarding the tax receipts. Sorry, it isn't there. We are talking about adding numbers. Assuming that the IRS can indeed track its reciepts, the question become "why" are the receipts higher under Bush. I suggested without proof adjustment for inflation and two, the bubble both of which are not flattering to Bush. Would you agree with those reasons?

  7. #17
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    factcheck.org - never heard of it. Don't know if that's good or bad.

  8. #18
    Havakasha is offline
    Legend
    Havakasha's Avatar
    Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,358
    Never heard of factcheck.org or politifact.com? How the HELL do you check on FOX news? I get it. you simply believe everything they say. Just great.

    You have said IN THE PAST that the tax cuts didnt happen. DONT REMEMBER OR CHOOSE TO FORGET?
    You also denied IN THE PAST that the stimulus created jobs. Look back at your posts.
    I seem to remember that after i showed you that Warren buffett acknowledged the job creation from the stimulus that you relented a little.

    You cant afford a tax accountant? You serious?
    Last edited by Havakasha; 10-19-2010 at 07:37 PM.

  9. #19
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    From politifact.com


    The key word in his statement is "working." Obama's claim is based on a tax cut intended to offset payroll taxes. Under the stimulus bill, single workers got $400, and working couples got $800. The Internal Revenue Service issued new guidelines to reduce withholdings for income tax, so many workers saw a small increase in their checks in April 2009.
    Thank you. I will go take a look. Drum roll please............

    I'll be damned! It actually happened in Feb / Mar 2009. My withholding was reduced 86 bucks whilst claiming M1. Oddly enough though, even claiming M1 with two kids, I ended up writing a check back in March 2010. Funny how that works. Admittedly, I am untrustworthy of any politician or government entity.

    I changed my withholding to M0 as to get a refund. The last thing I want to do is write a check after getting socked $500 per pay.

  10. #20
    SiriuslyLong is offline
    Guru
    SiriuslyLong's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Never heard of factcheck.org or politifact.com? How the HELL do you check on FOX news? I get it. you simply believe everything they say. Just great.

    You have said IN THE PAST that the tax cuts didnt happen. DONT REMEMBER OR CHOOSE TO FORGET?
    You also denied IN THE PAST that the stimulus created jobs. Look back at your posts.
    I seem to remember that after i showed you that Warren buffett acknowledged the job creation from the stimulus that you relented a little.

    You cant afford a tax accountant? You serious?
    C'mon, you think I believe all of Fox News?

    I can't say I never said it didn't happen; most typically the context I use is what I experience.

    Dude - you wore me down on stimulus. What I said was that although it hasn't impacted me, my industry or my customers, I have to beleive it had benefit. I am still very skeptical about the cost effectiveness of such spending, and most certainly have posted on that to the tune of "$1 trillion dollars gets you only 90,000 job losses".

    Should I have a tax accountant? I use turbo tax and do it myself. In the past we went to a service.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •