Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:08 PM #1

Malone's Own Words!

John Malone speaking about Regional Bell Phone Companies:

"basically they're a club. By and large, they coordinate. They talk to each other all the time. I mean, the RBOCs, what they do is they have a big meeting out on the golf course somewhere, and they decide who's gonna do what and to whom."

Now if myself or someone else at SB expressed this very same sentiment, we would be derisively branded "conspiracy theorists"

Got news for ya . . . wise up!

Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:14 PM #2
    "After we announced the Bell Atlantic deal, [Senator Howard] Metzenbaum says, "Jesus, John, I always thought you were going to be the guy who'd take on the RBOCs." [Representative] Jack Brooks gave me the same story: "What the **** are you doing merging with the RBOCs?" he said to me. And I says, "Jack, they're just so big and they're so powerful, and I'm getting old, and I just can't fight 'em any more."

Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:18 PM #3

hmmmmmm

"Now if you're gonna try to price your company based on earnings, you'll never get credit [on Wall Street] for taking over our US$10 billion worth of assets -- including our 20 percent of Turner Broadcasting -- that don't contribute to short-term earnings. They're going up in value rapidly, but they don't show up on-statement. So they had a real problem paying the price."

I wonder who else I know that might have BILLIONS IN ASSETS that aren't currently contributing to "short-term earnings" . . . hmmm, hmmmmm, now let me think . . . .
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 09-06-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:21 PM #4
    "Those things are going to be leveraged and grow like hell, and we're going to create a lot of shareholder wealth doing that. As for Wall Street, we're just going to have to keep training them to understand the value of that approach."

Well said John !

Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:26 PM #5

what others have said

"He is a brutal but effective deal-maker," said one seasoned Malone observer.

"No I won't talk to you about him. Nobody talks about Malone"
    Chief executive of a UK media company

Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:30 PM #6

Malone on Obama

"He makes great speeches," Malone remarked, and if they can actually achieve that export growth "it'll be a great partial solution to the current jobs dilemma."

"Well, my wife, who is very concerned about these things, moved all her personal cash to Australia and Canada. She wants to have a place to go if things blow up here."

"I don't think he should have been elected in the first place. I think he's incompetent."
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 09-06-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Mentor
    09-06-2010, 06:40 PM #7

June 2, 2010

BY KATHY SHWIFF
    Media mogul John Malone last month spent $19.8 million on shares of two stocks that track different segments of Liberty Media Corp., a conglomerate that he controls and serves as chairman.

Those were his first purchases of Liberty Media shares in nearly two years.

Malone bought 790,000 shares of Liberty Media Interactive for $12.43 on May 20, and 257,000 shares of Liberty Media Capital for $38.83 on May 20 and 21. Those moves brought his total direct and indirect holdings of the Interactive and Capital stocks to 4.5 million and 2.5 million shares, respectively, according to data provider Washington Service.