Page 14 of 19 ... 41213141516 ...
    Mentor
    09-20-2010, 04:27 PM #131
    David' Bank's big SAC has now cost RBC Capital Markets clients an 18% move.

Nice close today at $1.18 on 80M shares . . and not a peep from Tyler Savery.

I'm beginning to think that Tyler may have SAC envy . . .

Addict
    09-20-2010, 09:20 PM #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    David' Bank's big SAC has now cost RBC Capital Markets clients an 18% move.

Nice close today at $1.18 on 80M shares . . and not a peep from Tyler Savery.

I'm beginning to think that Tyler may have SAC envy . . .
    Spencer believes in David Bank's large SAC.

Mentor
    09-21-2010, 04:54 PM #133
    Howard came back and took a call from Captain Janks. Janks said that it's getting down to the wire and he wants to know if he's going to throw any kind of a party. Howard said he's going to have another bash for the staff like he did last year. Janks wants to know if he's going to do one for the fans. Howard said he's going to hold off on saying anything. He said he wants to leave everyone in suspense on that.

Howard let Janks go and took another call from a guy who asked about an article that came out about SIRIUS, in Business Week, and Howard. He said that they're talking about how they could afford to let Howard go because they could use the money to pay a wider array of talent. Howard said he agrees. He said that the level of talent out there is huge and they could hire so many people. Howard said he has obviously damaged SIRIUS. Howard said he was trying to think of someone who could attract millions of subscribers. Howard said it's not the NFL. Howard said when he left Viacom he read over 500 articles about how they would do better without him. Howard said they read that they'd have more sponsors and a new morning team would do fine. Howard said Business Week never ran a radio station so they have no clue.

http://marksfriggin.com/news10/9-20.htm#mon

Mentor
    09-22-2010, 05:26 PM #135
    Howard Stern's Endgame and Pandora's Future
    By Mac Greer
    September 22, 2010

Joel Hollander is the former chairman and CEO of CBS (NYSE: CBS) Radio Network (formerly Infinity Broadcasting). Hollander succeeded the legendary Mel Karmazin at Infinity/CBS, the longtime home of Howard Stern. Previously, Hollander served as CEO of Westwood One, and is currently the President of 264 Echo Place Partners. Along with his wife, Hollander is the founder of the CJ Foundation for SIDS.

I recently had an opportunity to talk with Joel about the future of Howard Stern and the future of radio. This transcript has been edited for clarity.

Mac Greer: Sirius XM (Nasdaq: SIRI) CEO Mel Karmazin recently said that he is very confident that Howard Stern will stay at Sirius XM. Do you think Stern is staying?

Joel Hollander: The only person that really knows what Howard is going to do is Howard. And he is always taking it down to the end of his contracts. But I assume that they have a long-lasting relationship that has been very, very good for whatever company Mel has been running and has been very good for Howard. They have had a very good marriage for years. So you would think he would stay. But Howard is very talented. He could do many things, whether he took his own brand and made his own app, made his own online radio station. He has been successful with books and the movies. He is truly one of the great media icons of the last 50 years for sure. I am hard pressed to come up with one individual that has made more money for the companies he has worked for and himself.

Greer: A Motley Fool article written by one of our writers, Rick Munarriz, was entitled Who Killed Terrestrial Radio? Rick says that the final blow will come from online and Internet radio. You seem to be saying it is premature to write off terrestrial radio.

Hollander: Listen, it is premature to write off terrestrial radio just like it is premature to write off network television. How many people have been writing the last five years that network television is eroding? Why does CBS spend all this money to promote Hawaii Five-O? They are probably going to get a number one show. You can amass big audiences with good content and compelling content. There is just more choice and you are living in an on-demand world.

Greer: And when it comes to adapting to the competition and adapting to new technologies, is there a terrestrial radio company out there that you think is ahead of the curve?

Hollander: No, unfortunately the terrestrial radio stations are trying to catch up. It is very difficult. You're trying to invest money in new platforms and are coming out of a recession when most of the media companies just got done laying off people. And you're having the worst advertising economic cycle of the last 50 years over the last 18 months. The radio business is not the growth business that network television is or cable television is. As an example, network television and local TV stations are probably anywhere from 15-25% ahead for the year. Some of that is driven by political, and radio is doing OK. It is probably going to finish up 7-10%, which is not bad.

The one company that I think is doing extremely well digitally is Turner. David Levy is doing a wonderful job of aggregating those assets over there. I think out of all the networks, ESPN obviously has done a very good job, but I think he has done an exceptional job over there of trying to marry their digital platform with their cable platform.

The digital portion of revenue at all these media companies is still miniscule. It is going to grow. There is no question. And there is no question we are living in an on-demand world and you have a million apps. I have an i-Pad and I sit on my couch and I could read newspapers from around the country. At the end of the day, there are more choices for consumers than ever before and there are more choices for advertisers than ever before. And by the way, more content on more devices doesn't necessarily mean more revenue. It means a shift.

Greer: Let's talk about the mobile market and the U.S. smart phone market. Research In Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM) and its BlackBerry still have the top spot. Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) and iPhone are second, but Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) and Android are third, but gaining ground. How is the mobile market, and the smart phone market in particular, changing the business of radio?

Hollander: I think it is going to change every business, but again, it is in its infancy stages. Mobile advertising is a minuscule number so far, so where is it going? There is certainly going to be more as the technology gets better and it is easier to use and to see. The Apple iPhone obviously is doing unbelievable and I am sure they will come out with another gadget in the next year and it will be even that much better than the present one.

It is going to be a huge business because we are a mobile society and everybody wants everything that second, on demand. But there are only so many advertising dollars and only so much discretionary income. So at the end of the day, there will be a sifting out of these smaller companies over the next five years.

Greer: And what is your take on Pandora and the future of Pandora?

Hollander: Pandora is pretty hot. They are in a great spot. I think they have about 60 million users last time I read and I think they were actually cash flow positive now on about, I am hearing $120 million in revenue or so, is what has been written. So they have a big jump-start on everybody, but again, there is a lot of competition in that space too, but they are the leader and their founder is very smart, very passionate about what they do, so I think that is going to be a big business.

Greer: Any chance we could see Howard Stern end up at Pandora?

Hollander: I have no idea. You know what? Howard can do almost anything he wants. Anything audio-wise. He probably has a ton of choices video-wise. Howard can do whatever he wants audio wise, whether it's his own app, his own online radio station, or staying at Sirius XM. Here is what I would never do, is bet against what Howard can do or bet against Mel. Everybody said 15-18 months ago that Sirius is going to be gone. Mel did a masterful job of rescuing that company from the abyss.

Greer: And I am curious, in terms of misconceptions, what do you think the biggest misconception is right now about the business of terrestrial radio?

Hollander: That nobody is listening, which is a joke because there was just Arbitron last week and their radar surveys. There are 225 million people a week in the United States that listen to radio.

Greer: That's not small potatoes.

Hollander: It's not. Unfortunately, the radio industry has done a very poor job of positioning themselves over the years. If you are a 40-to-50 year old male and you are getting into your car in the morning, you want to know about the traffic, you want to know about the local weather, you want to know if the world blew up overnight, and you want to know if your team won the night before. So you're going to get that information when you get in the car in a short burst. So it is still a great vehicle. They are just not as profitable as they used to be .

Greer: And what's the most important business lesson you learned from Mel Karmazin?

Hollander: The most important business lesson --- make quick, swift decisions. Don't look back, and work harder than the next guy.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...as-future.aspx

Enthusiast
    09-23-2010, 09:37 AM #136
    And here we are back to 1.10 ...lets hope it holds... if not buy more at 1.01.

My thought is that .94-.94 is absolute floor now .....I don't think it makes it there but then again this is siri

09-23-2010, 10:19 AM #137
    Did any of you goofballs cash last week? I hope so. I love taking heat on hear it makes me laugh every time. SL busting balls about how most on here have a 10 bagger, lol, so did I DOUCHE...is that the word you used...Classy! I hit the ten bagger but I took it months ago near the high in cash....dipshit. The stock finally "broke out" lol, Mel still playing with your money, I love it. If the stock continues to swing like this I will try to hit the airman swing, 5 pennies, not bad for a day trade, good work on swing shares.

Couple things.....housing is still completely in the dumper...foreclosures are going up not down...nice work Obama...Hope team..joke...Making homes affordable team..joke...banks don't want to get pants. Existing home sales just out....typical..headline number is better but still shity....time to party! That was a funny post busting balls on CNN...Lunacy. Funny stuff.

Volume has been shitty all summer and now into the fall. Low volume markets are much easier to push around, great for traders. I don't think the we will ever get back to pre flash crash levels.

Tip....anyone trying to sell you on the inventory of housing is blowing smoke up your ass....no one has any idea how many houses are in the shadow foreclosure market, no one. Homes 1-2 miles from the beach are selling at half price, Grande Dunes, some of the nicest houses in the area are selling for 600,000k, I have been inside and I can guarantee there is 600,000k in hard materials. They are beautiful inside. I am considering finding two investors with 200k each and buy one of these beast and live in it for the next few years. If you have a solid five years to wait and want a nice house near the beach, you got a winner.

I have to drop my invoice number on yall, Aug 31,500 dollars, not bad for a month, revenue that is....I pay my self 3500 to run the show....so no I am not rich.

How bout them Stillers?

Dennis Dixon is hurt so I am going back to Rapersburger, LOL.....allegedely.

Big Ben

Legend
    09-23-2010, 10:32 AM #138
    Ben,
    A long wait in-between posts huh? i quess it was too embarassing to talk while the stock market and siri went up for the past 3 weeks.
    Didnt you say something about Siri being dead in the water? lol.
    Im sure you are looking forward to their 3rd quarter results.

No doubt however that the economy is still hurting. According to Buffett we are still in a recession. Going to be a long, hard slog.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 09-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Enthusiast
    09-23-2010, 10:34 AM #139
    You are so egotistical as to think that your know everyones positions and therfore what is the best strategy for them. If they only are invested in siri then "this time" you are right. But that is not reality.

I am glad you are doing well with your trading. But why do you feel you need to disparage others? Must be a character thing!

And the funny thing is I agree with most of your posts content. Just not the way you deliver it.

09-23-2010, 10:39 AM #140
    Went up from what? Toilet paper to copy paper? Still has not past my exit level that was back in Feb. Let me guess next qtr is the big one, lol. The reason I could not post is pretty obvious, work. I will check back in from time to time to talk about trading shorts or football but siri is just a big waste of time. If Stern leaves you better have a tight stop loss on your ten bagger, lol.

Good luck,
    Markets are way over bought, wait till the air comes out of this balloon, its going to get ugly over the next 12 months.

Page 14 of 19 ... 41213141516 ...