06-15-2008, 02:39 PM #1

On the road - recommendations

Hi

I'm looking for a recommendation for a receiver that I can use on the road in rental cars. Really I'm looking for something that can be windshield mounted and plugged into the 12v outlet (like my GPS unit) and doesn't need any kind of additional hardware in the car to make it work (antenna, etc.. etc...).

Any pointers? Does such a device even exist?

Cheers

MattJ

06-15-2008, 08:16 PM #2
    I would say that the new Sirius Sportster 5 is the way to go.

Head Honcho
    06-16-2008, 12:23 AM #3
    I agree
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

06-18-2008, 10:40 AM #4
    Thanks folks - This may be a supremely dense question but I had looked at the Sportster5 and noted that the technical specs list the Antenna Type as Low Profile Magnetic with a 21' cable. My assumption was that this antenna was both external and required.

Are you saying the unit will still have adequate in car reception without this antenna?
    Last edited by matj6876; 06-18-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Spelin' n Gramm'er

Head Honcho
    06-18-2008, 03:42 PM #5
    It is required but you can just throw the line out the window and stick the antenna to the roof (or anywhere metal). Which is why it is perfect for someone who isn't in the same car all the time.

By the way... I am pretty certain that you will need an antenna for every model... there are not internal antenna units as of yet, as far as I know.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

06-30-2008, 07:18 PM #6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by matj6876 View Post
    Hi

I'm looking for a recommendation for a receiver that I can use on the road in rental cars. Really I'm looking for something that can be windshield mounted and plugged into the 12v outlet (like my GPS unit) and doesn't need any kind of additional hardware in the car to make it work (antenna, etc.. etc...).

Any pointers? Does such a device even exist?

Cheers

MattJ
    After some brainstorming, I though of this window clip mount for cellphone antennas. I would mount/tape the stock antenna to this clip and put it in the window for great reception. a stiletto is the only "no cable" option that I can think of.