Page 2 of 2 12
    Legend
    09-02-2010, 03:07 AM #11
    I dont ALWAYS look for govt to protect me. Thats silly. Your smarter than
    that.

S&L if you can t answer why you might want govt to protect you as in consumer protection, SEC, environmental protection. workplace safety, etc. etc. etc. then i dont know why we should even engage in discussions.

Govt is run by people. So is the free market. They both **** up and they
    both do somethings well. Come on S&L please stop with the silly everything
    about govt is bad mantra, Ever hear of the idea of checks and balances? Well it applies to the relationship between citizens, corporations and govt as well.

Guru
    09-02-2010, 02:36 PM #12
    Here's a list of failures by the US Government.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/inves...les/full_list/

Sorry to distract you from John.

Guru
    09-02-2010, 02:50 PM #13

Legend
    09-02-2010, 04:14 PM #14
    I will check Ayn Rand out when i get a chance. Alan Greenspan was a disciple of hers. Not that there is a direct correlation but during his term at the head of the federal reserve he sure did get a lot of things wrong in his analysis of the economy.

The other stuff on govt failures is just plain boring. We all know the govt messes up just as the private markets do. Your tilting way too far in one direction for some funny reason.

Guru
    09-02-2010, 04:32 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I will check Ayn Rand out when i get a chance. Alan Greenspan was a disciple of hers. Not that there is a direct correlation but during his term at the head of the federal reserve he sure did get a lot of things wrong in his analysis of the economy.

The other stuff on govt failures is just plain boring. We all know the govt messes up just as the private markets do. Your tilting way too far in one direction for some funny reason.
    The funny reason is simply to offer a contrarian point of view to your belief that the private sector and free markets are the problems, but at least above you recognize the government messes up - we're making progress LOL (I'm taking one from your book lol).

The problem with the government messing up is that they are accountable to no one - maybe in theory.... For example, Barney Frank is on record saying Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac aren't a problem, and now he's the chairman of the finance committee. I'm not trying to bust balls on that issue, but to demonstrate how a guy f's up and gets a promotion. If you or I f up at work; we're probably hitting the bricks. Congress is full of that. Mistake after mistake after mistake and no accountability. And to make matters worse, we accept it otherwise we'd throw the bums out. The polictial system that runs our government is corrupt. I think you agree in that you frequently site the role of corporate lobbiests to govenment.

This is why I question why anyone would want more government involvement in anything.

Guru
    09-02-2010, 04:35 PM #16
    BTW, here's one of the failures. You might agree.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/inves...es/entry/1052/
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 09-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 12