Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    08-25-2010, 08:39 AM #1

A Disillusioned Mr. Gross Returns from Washington

S&L you wont believe some of his quotes. i think they go against everything you believe. Check it out.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38845255

Guru
    08-25-2010, 10:49 AM #2
    No, not at all. Here are my key take away's.

1.) Yes, Mr. Gross is disallusioned. He spoke with self serving, partisan politicians who most certainly want the solution to be "their" solution. I share his disallusion.

2.) "After all Fannie and Freddie had really blown up because of the private/public nature of their charter, which incentivized execs and stockholders to go for broke with the implicit understanding that Uncle Sam would be there as a backstop should anything go wrong," My point exactly!

3.) "Having grown accustomed to a housing market aided by Uncle Sam, the habit cannot be broken by going cold turkey into the camp of private lending." I agree. It's too big of a mess.

4.) "Taxpayers (s)ould be protected through tight regulation, adequate downpayments, and an insurance fund bolstered by a 50- 75-basis-point fee attached to each and every mortgage," I agree. In fact, we SHOULD have been.

I'm not saying that the government shouldn't be involved in the housing market. I would have said that 77 years ago, but now it's a moot point. I'm perfectly fine with effective (and as minimal as possible) oversight and the provision of a framework by our government. I simply don't believe it can be done (reference point 1), and they've failed so far.

I'm watching Fox News lol. OMG - they have Mary Ann Marsh on who is essentially saying the government needs to make corporations hire and spend. lol. Is there a left wing news outlet? I'd like to watch it, and see if they can make republican's look foolish.
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 08-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Guru
    08-30-2010, 12:29 PM #3
    And Havakasha won't reply because............?

Legend
    08-30-2010, 01:48 PM #4
    Got distracted, travelling a lot etc. No other reason. i will get back to you soon.

Legend
    08-31-2010, 12:16 PM #5
    Well S&L i am pleasantly surprised to see that you understand that govt has a necessary role in th housing market. i quess when he said "the private market,
    to my mind, had really lost its claim as the most efficient and judicious arbiter in this particular case" i thought you might have lost it.
    When Mr. Gross said "My argument for the necessity of govt backing was substantially based on this commonsensical, psychological, indeed sociological observation that the great housing debacle of 2007-2010 would have a profound influence on homebuyers and mortgage lenders for decades to come" I quess i thought you would disagree and object to govt's continued role since you seem to blame "Govt"for almost all the worlds problems. And when Mr. Gross said "The vested interest lies on Wall street, not newport beach or main street" "Try explaining that to commentators intent on returning to a free market ideology that continues to serve the moneyed interests in the high style to which they are accustomed." I thought you might object to this negative characterization of those at top echelon of the free market system. And yet agin when he called for "rolling fannie and freddie and other housing agencies into ONE GIANT AGENCY and call it the GOVERNMENTAL NATIONAL MORTGAGE ASSOCIATION quaranteeing a majority of existing and future originations." I really though you were going to run screaming into the wind with your hair on fire. I quess i must have mistaken you for John. Lol.

So glad we have managed to meet halfway in our understand of the "large" role that the private markets and non governmental mortgage lenders played in the financial crisis.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 08-31-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Guru
    09-01-2010, 09:16 AM #6
    Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say it's necessary. Why would you believe it is necessary for government to play a role in housing? I don't believe it's necessary at all. That should have been clear.

In regards to the rest of your points.

1.) "The private market, to my mind, had really lost its claim as the most efficient and judicious arbiter in this particular case". I disagree with this commentary.

2.) "My argument for the necessity of government backing was substantially based on this commonsensical, psychological, indeed sociological observation that the great housing debacle of 2007-2010+ would have a profound influence on homebuyers and mortgage lenders for decades to come." Yes, this debacle will have influence for years to come. When trillions of dollars simply disappear, it will obiously have an impact. Why did trillions disappear? that's really the question. My answer is pseudo demand from the ability to secure easy money (all sponsored by....?).

3.) "The vested interest lies on Wall Street, not Newport Beach or Main Street," he said. "Try explaining that to commentators’ intent on returning to a free market ideology that continues to serve the moneyed interests in the high style to which they are accustomed." I don't agree with this commentary.

It's really simple Lloyd. 77 years of government "policy" (make that "failed policy"), is the root cause of this. Do you understand root cause? They government enabled banks to take risks, and even took that risk off the banks books. The governments role is complicit. That's why we had to bail them out too. You are one stubborn m'fer. The VERY FIRST MBS was issued by none other than our government.
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 09-01-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Legend
    09-01-2010, 09:30 AM #7
    Oh i thought mr. gross said it was and it thought you agreed.
    So i was right when i originally said you werent going to like some of the things Mr. Gross posited.

Im sorry S&L but i just dont agree with your "root cause" analysis. Problems were created by private markets and govt. How you can even separate those 2 out is WAY BEYOND ME. Who is stubborn? Remember Mr. Poole whenever you
    get too carried away with your govt is the root cause of all evil type of arguments. It will cleanse your soul.

Guru
    09-01-2010, 10:28 AM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Oh i thought mr. gross said it was and it thought you agreed.
    So i was right when i originally said you werent going to like some of the things Mr. Gross posited.

Im sorry S&L but i just dont agree with your "root cause" analysis. Problems were created by private markets and govt. How you can even separate those 2 out is WAY BEYOND ME. Who is stubborn? Remember Mr. Poole whenever you
    get too carried away with your govt is the root cause of all evil type of arguments. It will cleanse your soul.
    77 years LOL. Mr Poole wasn't even born when the nonsense started LOL.

Hey, please do me the favor of elaborating on why it is necessary for government to be involved in housing. I want to understand why democrats want government to manage things. I've done some research, but still haven't come to something I can understand.

Legend
    09-01-2010, 10:35 AM #9
    That is going to require a VERY long response. Give me some time to do it justice. i have to move on with my day right now.
    Remember this little tibit. If you left everything to the free market i believe
    what is happening today with regard to what i would crony capitalism (more and more inequality in income and savings, and a middle class that is suffering. A simplfication of course but a start) would be that much worse. Govt serves a useful purpose in protecting consumers (our) interests at the VERY LEAST.

Have a good day. Its always enjoyable talking.

Guru
    09-01-2010, 03:14 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    That is going to require a VERY long response. Give me some time to do it justice. i have to move on with my day right now.
    Remember this little tibit. If you left everything to the free market i believe
    what is happening today with regard to what i would crony capitalism (more and more inequality in income and savings, and a middle class that is suffering. A simplfication of course but a start) would be that much worse. Govt serves a useful purpose in protecting consumers (our) interests at the VERY LEAST.

Have a good day. Its always enjoyable talking.
    Why do you always look for government to protect you? Why can't you protect yourself? It's a rhetorical question. The other thing is why would you want our government to protect you when they've demonstated how badly they perform.

Page 1 of 2 12