Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    07-21-2010, 12:28 AM #1

What 7 Republicans Can Do

S&L gives Obama a bad grade for bipartisanship. What the hell world is he living in?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/op...iedman.html?hp

Guru
    07-21-2010, 09:26 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    S&L gives Obama a bad grade for bipartisanship. What the hell world is he living in?

I see you abandoned the thread immediately below.

Guru
    07-21-2010, 05:02 PM #3

Wow - great corporate earnings have been totally stymied by concerns about the economy - a direct indictment of the effectiveness of Obama and his policies. And now this!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Govt-w...49934.html?x=0

Wow, what a mess.

Legend
    07-21-2010, 05:26 PM #4
    To blame Obama for all the problems we are experiencing in the economy which were caused by a combination of the Bush recession, the finaincial systems collapse, and other systemic problems in the US is quite disengenious. Read Bernake's testimony today. Its quite a bit more complicated than you describe.

I was hoping you were going to comment on Friedman's article and the evidence that Republicans are doing this nation a great diservice.

Legend
    07-21-2010, 05:27 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    I see you abandoned the thread immediately below.
    i can get back to it. i was out of town for work.

Guru
    07-21-2010, 05:42 PM #6
    To blame Obama for all the problems we are experiencing in the economy which were caused by a combination of the Bush recession, the finaincial systems collapse, and other systemic problems in the US is quite disengenious. Read Bernake's testimony today. Its quite a bit more complicated than you describe.

I was hoping you were going to comment on Friedman's article and the evidence that Republicans are doing this nation a great diservice.
    I'll read yours when you read mine LOL.

Fanny and Freddie are bankrupt. Wow. Another government program gone bad - just like Medicare and Social Security (ok, Social Security is GOING bad - ain't there yet). Why on Earth do you trust these idiots with anything -democrat or republican?

A ****ing deer got into my tomatoes. I live 0.3 miles from a major 5 lane thoroughfare. This is on top of suffering a horrible bout of BER, and the "strangulation" of one of my plants (I tied it too tightly with a wire tie). I may have nothing to can in Sept.

Legend
    07-21-2010, 05:45 PM #7
    Shahien Nasiripour

Bernanke To Congress: The Economy Needs You To Keep Spending
    Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke reiterated Wednesday his belief that Congress should continue to prop up the sputtering economy, casting aside concerns that the federal budget deficit should trump the economy's need for additional stimulus.

In other words, Congress should spend now and worry about deficits later.

"At the current moment the large deficits, as unattractive as they are, are important for supporting economic activity," the nation's central banker told a Senate panel, citing "weak" private spending and a "great deal of excess capacity."

Bernanke added that he'd be "reluctant to withdraw that support too precipitously in the near term." His comments strongly echoed remarks he made in June.

The debate over budget deficits versus stimulus spending has gripped the nation's capital as the economy, though technically in recovery, continues to exhibit negative trends. For one, the national unemployment rate is essentially unchanged from June 2009. At 9.5 percent, it's fluctuated in the intervening year, rising to 10.1 percent in October before dropping back down last month. About half of the nation's unemployed workers have been jobless for at least six months.

In addition, foreclosures continue to mount. Consumers continue to hold back on spending. Credit is tight. And banks and corporations are sitting on record amounts of cash, worried about expansion during a time of such great uncertainty.

Left-leaning Democrats in Congress want to keep their foot on the pedal, pumping money into the economy to make up for the lack of private demand. Moderates and Republicans are more cautious, warning about unsustainable budget deficits and the mounting national debt. The total outstanding pubic debt was $13.2 trillion as of Tuesday, Treasury Department data show

President Barack Obama's 2011 budget forecasts a $1.6 trillion hole, or about 10.6 percent of the nation's total output, a post-World War II high.

Bernanke said there's a time to worry about that -- but it's not now. Policymakers must "maintain some fiscal support for the economy in the near term," he said.

Over the "medium term," though, policymakers must present "credible" plans and pay "serious attention to addressing fiscal issues" in order to maintain the confidence of the financial markets.

When the U.S. government spends more than it generates, it generally has to sell debt (though the Fed could also just print more money). Buyers of that debt expect a rate of return.

Investors were demanding 2.99 percent interest from the U.S. government in order to buy 10-year Treasury bonds as of Monday, a level near historic lows, Treasury data show. Ten years ago, investors demanded double that rate.

But, key to keeping the government's borrowing costs low is maintaining the confidence of the markets.

Bernanke warned Wednesday that if policymakers don't get serious about reducing the annual budget deficit, they'd risk a "loss of confidence."

It's "very important to demonstrate as best we can we are serious about addressing long-term issues," Bernanke said in response to a question by Alabama Senator Richard Shelby, the Banking Committee's top Republican. The nation's fiscal path is "unsustainable," Bernanke warned, and that view is "widely shared."

A loss of confidence in America's fiscal well-being could lead investors to demand higher rates of return in order to buy Treasuries, which would drive up the government's borrowing costs. Funds for government programs would instead be diverted to bondholders. Social programs, military spending and the like would suffer.

P.S. God how i wish we could have seen what the economy would have done under the McCain, Palin, and S&L model. i feel strongly it would have been way worse.

Guru
    07-21-2010, 08:29 PM #8
    We'll never know how good it might have been under McCain, so drop the rhetoric.

So if you were running out of money, would you adopt the "spend now, worry about it later mentality" - especially when tax bases are decreasing? What we are talking about is commen sense vs. theory. Which side are you on?

The bottom line is that our government needs to "stimulate" those which employ us and provide us benefits. Until then, they will hold on to their 1.84 TRILLION dollars of savings because they don't believe Obama can deliver a real answer. This is sad as many Americans believed in Obama's "change".

Legend
    07-21-2010, 11:18 PM #9
    Or how BAD. Not rhetoric. McCain's choice to be treasury secretary was Phil Gramm. As i have said before look him up because he would have been one of the worst possible choices to tackle this deep economic recession.

You put WAY too much blame on Obama. You may not believe in any of Obama's change but i am WAY glad he is in office as opposed to McCain.
    Health care reform and financial reform so far. Energy and immigration reform hopefully. All this with most Republicans choosing to be completely
    partisan.

Did you comment on this thread and the article i posted by the way? lol.

Legend
    07-21-2010, 11:21 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    I'll read yours when you read mine LOL.

Fanny and Freddie are bankrupt. Wow. Another government program gone bad - just like Medicare and Social Security (ok, Social Security is GOING bad - ain't there yet). Why on Earth do you trust these idiots with anything -democrat or republican?

A ****ing deer got into my tomatoes. I live 0.3 miles from a major 5 lane thoroughfare. This is on top of suffering a horrible bout of BER, and the "strangulation" of one of my plants (I tied it too tightly with a wire tie). I may have nothing to can in Sept.
    What is BER?
    Rabbits get into my garden.

Always anti govt and you probably dont even realize a 1/4 of what govt has done for you and this country. You would prefer we didnt have social security and medicare etc.? Dont be ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12