Legend
    07-06-2010, 02:01 PM #1

The Choices that Pay us Back!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04view.html

Here is a good piece of information i knew nothing about. i definitely know S&L knows nothing about it and will try to refute it even with zero expertise on the subject.

"Another productive measure would be to increase public investment in infrastructur. When road repairs are deferred for just 2 to 3 years, total maintemance expenses can more than double-even if we ignore the cost of accidents and vehicle damage caused by potholes. Spending an extra dollar now to save 2 to 3 dollars three years from now is an investment with an annual rate of return of more than 18%. Making that investment with money borrowed at 3 percent would not only put people to work immediately, but would also help balance government budgets. And after DECADES of infrastructure neglect, there are many other public investment opportunities that promise returns even higher than 18%."

Its obviously so much easier to spout talking points and belittle infrastructure stimulus. Sad statement on politics of today. Ignorance trumps rationality.

Guru
    07-06-2010, 02:57 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04view.html

Here is a good piece of information i knew nothing about. i definitely know S&L knows nothing about it and will try to refute it even with zero expertise on the subject.

"Another productive measure would be to increase public investment in infrastructur. When road repairs are deferred for just 2 to 3 years, total maintemance expenses can more than double-even if we ignore the cost of accidents and vehicle damage caused by potholes. Spending an extra dollar now to save 2 to 3 dollars three years from now is an investment with an annual rate of return of more than 18%. Making that investment with money borrowed at 3 percent would not only put people to work immediately, but would also help balance government budgets. And after DECADES of infrastructure neglect, there are many other public investment opportunities that promise returns even higher than 18%."

Its obviously so much easier to spout talking points and belittle infrastructure stimulus. Sad statement on politics of today. Ignorance trumps rationality.
    I'd like to read the article, but they wanted too much information for me to get access.

We've already spent nearly a trillion flipping dollars on infrastructure. WTF are you talking about - a trillion more? Heck, they probably spent half that on all the damn ARRA signs lol.

Legend
    07-06-2010, 03:50 PM #3
    Ignorance trumps facts.
    Its not true that we spent the money you say (just as it isnt true what you said about jobs created and saved under present stimulus plan) Where do you see that we spent a trillion dollars on infrastructure?
    i know a guy who runs infrastructure conferences in DC and they say Obama hasnt lived up to anywhere near his promises on infrastructure spending. He had to COMPROMISE on the amount and direction of the stimulus bill and give in to people who wanted tax cuts. Tax cuts which almost all economists agree did less to grow the economy than stimulus money spent on infrastructure etc.

Sounds like you prefer a crumbling infrastructure? Maybe a second class infrastructure? A third world infrastructure?

I believe China is spending 400 billion on high speed trains alone. We would be left way behind if it was up to the right wing of this country who profess to care about America's standing in the world economy but who would be certain to bring our infrastructure to its knees
    Last edited by Havakasha; 07-06-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Legend
    07-06-2010, 04:57 PM #4
    Here is a copy of list of spending from the stimulus bill

http://www.propublica.org/special/th...st-of-spending