Page 1 of 3 123
    Legend
    06-30-2010, 11:19 AM #1

Governments Moving to Cut Spending, In Echo of the 1930's

I think we know that it was a mistake to do so back then. Lets see what happens in the present.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/bu...nhardt.html?hp

Guru
    06-30-2010, 12:12 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I think we know that it was a mistake to do so back then. Lets see what happens in the present.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/bu...nhardt.html?hp
    The only thing that is certain is that was 80 years ago.

Hey - good news about the healthcare plan. Flexible spending will not be eliminated, only reduced, and that's fine with me as I save well under the max. But on the other hand, premiums are going up. My company has done a great job, but this time around, the employees are going to have to take a bite of the $hit sandwich.

I'm watching this University of Maryland (Peter Morici sp?) guy on Fox News, "Washington is doing nothing right... they increase the demand for healthcare and prices are going to go down?" Man, that's a good question.

Legend
    06-30-2010, 01:43 PM #3
    Here is a hint of a bias. "Washington is doing nothing right".

Bullcrap. FINALLY someone is tackling decades old problems. Health care, financial reform, immigration reform, energy legislation. Now you might not like all the solutions but the attitude that nothing right is being done is just such a negative attitude that its clearly an obvious falsehood. Its like saying nothing is being done right in America. That is so easy for anyone to say and its absolute nonsense,

Guru
    06-30-2010, 02:03 PM #4
    The CBO that you rely on when it suits you says the deficit is unsustainable, and will be 90% of GDP in 25 years (I think that's the case). Poor Obama, can't use the tool he wants to because Bush f'd it up, right? We'll, he wanted the job. You'd think he'd have an idea other than one that worked 80 years ago. Maybe one that was more fitting to today's environment?? Heck, nylon wasn't even invented then, now today,its evolved to a dog (low growth, low margin).

Here are a couple ideas to get out of this.

1.) incentivize US companies to utilize productive capacity here in the US.
    2.) downsize government - it produces nothing, really. If he wants to spend, then spend. Just reduce overhead to make the speding more efficient.
    3.) invest in healthcare - don't proceduralize(bureaucrationalize) it. Put assets in place to care for the masses.
    4.) incentivize those with jobs to save and spend by reducing taxes
    5.) incentivize Americans to buy American goods and services. If there is any complaint from me about Capitalism, it is the wholesale sell out for cheap labor. That should have been addressed. Plus, productive capacity is part of our national security.

Those are some ideas.

Guru
    06-30-2010, 02:16 PM #5
    Here is a hint of a bias. "Washington is doing nothing right".

Bullcrap. FINALLY someone is tackling decades old problems. Health care, financial reform, immigration reform, energy legislation. Now you might not like all the solutions but the attitude that nothing right is being done is just such a negative attitude that its clearly an obvious falsehood. Its like saying nothing is being done right in America. That is so easy for anyone to say and its absolute nonsense,
    "the attitude that nothing right is being done is just such a negative attitude that its clearly an obvious falsehood"

That's the dumbest thing ever spelled out on your keyboard. LOL. Perhaps he truly believes all that has been "done" is wrong? Is addressing it the factor for success or failure, or is addressing it correctly? So far, I'd give Obama a solid "F" in bipartisanship. He's not listening to anyone other than those who are likeminded. It's a shame as that is what I had held hope for.

Legend
    06-30-2010, 06:06 PM #6

im on a bus now so i cant comment in full but i have no problem with what the CBO sai

I agree with what. the CBO said and so does Obama. That is consistency. The point is he was handed an enormous deficit and a bad recession and it aint as easy as you seem to make it out to be to 1. Dig out of a recession, create new jobs and grow thew economy and at he same time.and cut the deficit
    Now tell me why Bush cheney grew the deficit exponentially when the economy wasn't even bad? You have some ideas. I don't agree with most of them. But at least you are trying. The republican Party it seems to me is only trying to sabotage even incremental change. Why? Because it suits their political goals. That makes it difficult to govern when you need 60 votes in the Senate to pass anything. What I wish morew than anything in the world would be to be able to have a side by side comparison of Obama's ideas versus the Republican parties. Alas we can't do that so we will have to continue to argue these points. .

Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    The CBO that you rely on when it suits you says the deficit is unsustainable, and will be 90% of GDP in 25 years (I think that's the case). Poor Obama, can't use the tool he wants to because Bush f'd it up, right? We'll, he wanted the job. You'd think he'd have an idea

other than one that worked 80 years ago. Maybe one that was more fitting to today's environment?? Heck, nylon wasn't even invented then, now today,its evolved to a dog (low growth, low margin).

Here are a couple ideas to get out of this.

1.) incentivize US companies to utilize productive capacity here in the US.
    2.) downsize government - it produces nothing, really. If he wants to spend, then spend. Just reduce overhead to make the speding more efficient.
    3.) invest in healthcare - don't proceduralize(bureaucrationalize) it. Put assets in place to care for the masses.
    4.) incentivize those with jobs to save and spend by reducing taxes
    5.) incentivize Americans to buy American goods and services. If there is any complaint from me about Capitalism, it is the wholesale sell out for cheap labor. That should have been addressed. Plus, productive capacity is part of our national security.

Those are some ideas.

Guru
    07-01-2010, 06:48 AM #7
    I agree with what. the CBO said and so does Obama. That is consistency. The point is he was handed an enormous deficit and a bad recession and it aint as easy as you seem to make it out to be to 1. Dig out of a recession, create new jobs and grow thew economy and at he same time.and cut the deficit
    Now tell me why Bush cheney grew the deficit exponentially when the economy wasn't even bad? You have some ideas. I don't agree with most of them. But at least you are trying. The republican Party it seems to me is only trying to sabotage even incremental change. Why? Because it suits their political goals. That makes it difficult to govern when you need 60 votes in the Senate to pass anything. What I wish morew than anything in the world would be to be able to have a side by side comparison of Obama's ideas versus the Republican parties. Alas we can't do that so we will have to continue to argue these points. .
    Indeed a side by side comparison of ideas would be interesting to see as would a non partisan committee of economists. They could hash out details and make recommendations, but you think Obama would ever listen or even acknowledge the likes of Peter Schiff? Not. You argue left vs. right. I argue the system. There is no politician that wants to really fix it. All they care about is their party politics.

Legend
    07-01-2010, 12:58 PM #8
    S&L You and i see the world completely differently. Republicans have repeatedly obstructed Obama PURELY for political reason. They decided opposing him on EVERY piece of legislation is the best way for them to win. The leadership has gone so far as to threaten Republicans committee positions if they so much as think about supporting Obama on legislation.
    Obama has tackled education, health care, energy, financial reform, and immigration all within 2 years. Bush/Cheney did nothing for 8 years. History will rendere who was trying to get things done and what was accomplished with legislation passed.

Here is yet just one more example and believe me i can find you plenty more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_632078.html

Guru
    07-01-2010, 02:12 PM #9
    S&L You and i see the world completely differently. Republicans have repeatedly obstructed Obama PURELY for political reason. They decided opposing him on EVERY piece of legislation is the best way for them to win. The leadership has gone so far as to threaten Republicans committee positions if they so much as think about supporting Obama on legislation.
    Obama has tackled education, health care, energy, financial reform, and immigration all within 2 years. Bush/Cheney did nothing for 8 years. History will rendere who was trying to get things done and what was accomplished with legislation passed.

Here is yet just one more example and believe me i can find you plenty more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_632078.html
    You're using THAT as an example? To me, it's damning. He's gives a speech on it because advocates wanted him to do so? And the guy from Arizona does indeed have a constituency. Maybe the republicans are blocking Obama because they wonder what the Fck is in the 2300 page bill LOL.

You act a little pompous you know. You proudly say that Obama "tackled" all these issues, yet we not seen results. What have we seen? I'll tell you what I've seen, but you'll dismiss it and move on to some democratic talking point (tax the rich, medical care is a right....).

Legend
    07-02-2010, 03:35 AM #10
    Sorry but i think there is enormous amount of evidence the Republicans have decided on a political strategy and chosen to put Party first over country.
    Bush/Cheney did nothing in 8 years. Show me where they did please and do remember they controlled the House and Senate for 6 years

You are quite ridiculous. You expect results in less than 2 years on problems that have festered for 40 or more years in some cases? You arent really looking for results because if you were you would have seen progress. Yes, slow and incremental so far but necessary and important for the future of this county. Obama is working hard to cobble together bipartisan groups to tackle energy and immigration as we speak. Republicans are sitting on their hands, and i am not talking about the ones who would never vote for anything he proposes even if it was to feed all the children of the world (a slight exaggeration but i think we all understand the truth in what i am suggesting) who as a little as a month ago said they could find common ground with Obama on immigration and energy. They really are scared to buck their leadership who has threatened them that they would lose their committee chairmanships if they work with Obama. Another sad day in the U.S. like I said, Party over country. Beautiful.
    Lets face it i think you actually hate Obama, and its certainly clear you will never like Obama even if he brought peace to the middle east, resolved the afghanistan war, passed comprehensive health care reform, financial reform, energy legislation to move us into the 21st century, immigration reform to help resolve the illegal immigration problem, tax reform, education legislation and helped to put us on a better path in our economy.
    Hate is a might potent weapon in the hands of the blind. I hate to say this but i am starting to think you have more in common with John then i could have ever believed.You dont act like John thank god but you sure believe like him
    I kinda think we will never agree on much. Its been fun arguing with you, but
    not sure what we can do for an encore. Goodnight. Happy 4th of July.

Page 1 of 3 123