06-29-2007, 05:36 PM #1

Question '07 Frontier antenna wire routing?

I would like to install the antenna on the top back of my crew cab Frontier '07 model. However, there is no apparent way to remove the cargo light assembly. Is it possible to route wire through there? Is there a better routing or antenna location to use?

Thanks,

06-29-2007, 07:08 PM #2
    Do you mean that there are no screws on the exterior? If so I would have to imagine you could access it by removing the headliner on the inside of the cab. You could then run the wire to the outside. The only thing you would have to worry about is the seal but if it like mos trucks there is probably a pretty thick rubber gasket that will wrap right around the wire.

06-30-2007, 10:48 AM #3
    I would consider mounting the antenna on the front above the windshield. Also you can get away without using the antenna tail as well and just put the antenna at the edge of the metal.

07-01-2007, 02:08 PM #4
    Although, routing the wire through the third brake light makes for the best mounting location for looks and function, Wiring through the gasket presents a problem. It will leak. Water will follow the wire and wind will assist. Shortest distance would route through the top of the brake light. Some might think that routing through the bottom of the brake light would be less likely to leak. To do that, the wire has to either drape over the brake light or tuck or glue around the perimeter. That can open up the potential for more leaks. Silicone will seal the leak, however, if that unit is removed to replace the bulb, gaskets will tear.

The windshield leading edge is usually the easiest way to hide the wire. The tail is there to help the antenna reach a flat surface rather than mount the antenna on a curvature.

No one really talks about this method but it's reasonably quick and easy. Take out the dome light or take down the overhead console if equipped and drill a hole through the roof large enough to just for the antenna plug through. Choose an area that is in the center, flat, and easy to reach the hole in the sheet metal from the underside while also keeping in mind of where the dome light or overhead console components are located so they do not interfere once reinstalled. Clean the area to mount the antenna mounting location with solvent, alcohol or lacquer thinner. Slip the antenna end through the hole, pull most of the wire through and set the antenna upside down and behind the hole you drilled. This will allow you to silicone the hole and the bottom of the antenna without moving the wire too much, once the silicone is applied, flip the antenna over and back it up over the hole. You can add some more silicone from below after you duct tape wire to the roof at the near the hole to keep it from moving around while you put the dome light or overhead console back together. You'll have clean, permanent, no visual wires and leak proof seal that looks like the way it might come from the factory.

I might even do this to my wife’s 4runner and take some pics for you all. This truck doesn’t lend itself to a clean functional install by other methods.

07-10-2007, 02:03 PM #5
    OK, after a LOT of research I decided to install a SIGMA (Sirius Interior Glass Mount Antenna). The factory install directions are posted on several sites and the SIGMA is available on Ebay and from several Nissan parts suppliers like mynissanparts.com. This very large antenna sticks to the windshield, directly above the rearview mirror, or to the side if it is powered and the power cord interferes with SIGMA placement. The antenna is not visible from the outside because of the windshield tint and the shaded area above the mirror. The antenna is butted up against the headliner, the tail and wire both go above the headliner and are routed over to the A-pillar cover. That cover snaps out after removing the handle with two screws under the flaps on each end. For the wire that is behind the headliner, wrap several sections of foam tape over it to help keep it from moving, use cable ties to tie the wire to the wires that are already behind the A-pillar and then route the wire down below the dash near the A-pillar base. The wire can then be connected to the satellite box that you mounted to the studs above and to the left of the brake pedal. Control wire then is easy to route, behind the dash, to the head unit. Nothing is on the outside and the SIGMA seems to work just as well as as an external mounted unit.

07-15-2007, 01:47 AM #6
    We want pictures

03-27-2009, 11:11 PM #7
    Yes, need pics.

Enthusiast
    03-31-2009, 03:53 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TSS Taylor View Post
    I would consider mounting the antenna on the front above the windshield. Also you can get away without using the antenna tail as well and just put the antenna at the edge of the metal.
    That's the way I routed my Sirius XM Antenna on my FORD RANGER just above the windshield, but I'm using the tail tho, I didn't know, I could do without it. the only thing I don't like, is the black-dot looking-antenna that you can see just above the windshield, but the good thing is, it's not too big, just sticks out, and now everyone knows I have a SAT-Radio, but I always remove it from the car-dock-cradle, when I'm parked, even if it's for a short period of time, THIEVES Love to steal SAT-Radios outta cars, cuz they can sell them for Dope

I hear that if a SAT-Radio is reported STOLEN to SIRIUS XM the Radio is deactivated...is this true? , anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by denb45; 03-31-2009 at 05:51 PM.

05-19-2009, 07:42 PM #9

How's your SIGMA working out?

Hi Jazzcaster,

How's your SIGMA working out? Toyota used one on our new Avalon last October. My sound quality isn't that great (see my only thread) and one of the things I suspect is the SIGMA. My signal drops in out much more frequently than with the Sportster 5 using a rooftop hockypuck antennae on my Tacoma truck.