04-08-2009, 12:31 PM #1

Installing Starmate 5 on 06 Sentra

Hello all, great forum here. Just bought a Starmate 5 for my girlfriends birthday coming up this Friday and I will be installing it in her 2006 Nissan Sentra.

I'm looking for any tips on a clean install soundwise and visually. I have read that the instructions for hooking up the antenna are not the best, any better solutions are encouraged, please.

The car's radio has an Aux input on the front so I will be buying a 1/8' to 1/8' male wire to use to connect from the Starmate to the radio since I feel it will yield a clearer signal than FM modulation and is cheaper ($5 or so at radio shack) than the FM input boxes I see being sold. I know there will be one wire hanging but I feel ease of connection and clearness of sound make it worth it.

I am looking to avoid using the lighter adapter for power, how hard would it be to hardwire power into something on the car?

Pretty much I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Banned
    04-08-2009, 01:31 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny mccormick View Post
    Hello all, great forum here. Just bought a Starmate 5 for my girlfriends birthday coming up this Friday and I will be installing it in her 2006 Nissan Sentra.

I'm looking for any tips on a clean install soundwise and visually. I have read that the instructions for hooking up the antenna are not the best, any better solutions are encouraged, please.

The car's radio has an Aux input on the front so I will be buying a 1/8' to 1/8' male wire to use to connect from the Starmate to the radio since I feel it will yield a clearer signal than FM modulation and is cheaper ($5 or so at radio shack) than the FM input boxes I see being sold. I know there will be one wire hanging but I feel ease of connection and clearness of sound make it worth it.

I am looking to avoid using the lighter adapter for power, how hard would it be to hardwire power into something on the car?

Pretty much I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks a lot!
    Cut off the cig lighter adapter, leaves you a positive and negative wire.

Simply connect those ends to separate wires direct to the battery, or run them through the fuse box if you know how. If you run it direct, put an inline fuse on the positive side. 20 amp should do.

If you have space above the rear view mirror, that's a good place to mount it. It will allow you to run the wires along and behind the roof molding, hence NO hanging wires. Any extra wire can be pushed into the headliner, so start outside and work your way inside.

As for the auxillary input, you may run onto a problem with that if it is a mono jack. The output is stereo on the sirius receiver so you may need to get an adapter at radio shack and splice it in.

Cables usually are mono or stereo....not both.

04-25-2009, 11:16 AM #3
    DO NOT cut off the cigarette lighter plug. The newer units work on 5 volts and that plug is where the voltage is reduced. Instead go to radio shack or wally world or any auto parts store and buy an aux. lighter and wire it to the fuse box and plug the Sirius unit into it. I like to use a switched fuse, meaning a fuse that comes live with the ignition being in the on position, that way the unit comes on and off with the radio.

Enthusiast
    04-27-2009, 03:08 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    Cut off the cig lighter adapter, leaves you a positive and negative wire.

Simply connect those ends to separate wires direct to the battery, or run them through the fuse box if you know how.

Yeah, bad idea. The radio runs off of 5v and your car is a 12 v system. I would suggest using the right part for the right job. Try this: http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-vehi...it-p-4438.html. Great piece that helps hard-wire your radio with ease. Hope this helps for you or anyone that looks at this thread.