Page 4 of 8 ... 23456 ...
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    05-19-2010, 10:31 AM #31
    You may be on to something Big Ben....or should I say Double D!

The markets are looking a little weak today. A report was just released that shows mortgage dilenquencies at a 30 year high of 10%.

SIRI is down 5 cents too. I see this as a good buying opportunity for a quick flip sometime later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Today could be a blood bath. Majority of the worlds markets are red and our premarket indicators look to be following suit. FAZ up 4 percent, FXP up 2 percent, they have been on a tear. FAZ my biggest holding 1400 shares went up 11 percent yesterday, 1.50 per share. It has been quite the ride this year for me....up 2k down 10k back up 9k and right about now I look to be "going sizzler". Wish me luck, I need a two bucks to get back to my average purchase price 17.70. Protect your stack.

Big Ben is officially done, I am going with DD....Dennis Dixon...the future star quarterback in Pittsburgh.

DD

Some of the shorts have pulled back while I was typing but don't let that move fool you. They are shaking the trees to see what falls out, nothing more, premarket swings are very normal, get short.

Guru
    05-19-2010, 12:16 PM #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    SL . . . it needs to close at or above $1.00 on May 28 . . .

That is the magical date because Monday is Memorial Day and all of the Ivy League pickpockets that are the pit bosses on Wall Street need to have Monday off so they can placate their miserable trophy wives by taking them down the shore for a backyard barbeque and to shoot off illegal fireworks.

They're pretty easy to spot . . guys will be wearing Tommy Bahama shirt, knee-length bermuda shorts, leather dress shoes (no socks), moussed-back hair or totally shaved head, cigar . . . driving Hummer

Wives are easy to spot too . . . boob-job, nose-job, loud and obnoxious.

They are a pestilence that returns every summer. I detest their ilk .

Too funny SRK - sadly, I know exactly who you are talking about.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    05-19-2010, 06:45 PM #33

The price of oil.

Here is something to think about.

The price of oil today is less than 70 bucks a barrel. That means that the price of gasoline should be dropping very soon.

If the price of gas drops, will people possibly drive more? And if they drive more, that means they'll be listening to SiriusXM more. And if they listen more, the advertisers will be heard more. And if the advertisers are heard more often, maybe Mel could raise the cost of an ad. And, if the ad revenue increases, that should increase profits.

So, if the price of oil falls. And ad revenue increases, which causes profits to increase. Could this mean that falling oil prices are good for the SIRI stock price? Just something to think about.......

05-19-2010, 07:43 PM #34
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    Too funny SRK - sadly, I know exactly who you are talking about.
    We have people lke that here in Michigan?

Mentor
    05-19-2010, 09:54 PM #35

thestreet.con acolyte

Sirius XM Guidance: Mixed Reviews (SIRI)

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Analysts have reacted to Sirius XM's (NASDAQ: SIRI) fine-tuned 2010 guidance, offered up by the company on Monday, with views that range from bullish to outright skeptical.

On the optimists' side sits Murray Arenson, an analyst at BGB Securities, who raised his target numbers for Sirius's 2010 results in response to the company's outlook.

Already more aggressive with his EBITDA expectations than the company itself, Arenson now thinks Sirius can post adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of $583 million, up from his previous forecast of $572 million.

Arenson also revised his per-share earnings target to breakeven, up by from a projected loss of a penny, but left revenue forecast basically unchanged at $2.8 billion. He has maintained his buy recommendation on Sirius stock, while noting that the company's cash flows for the year will be greatly driven by the pace of new car sales and the subscriber acquisition costs related to those sales.

Meanwhile, Marek Fuchs, former money manager, author of A Cold-Blooded Business and a contributor to TheStreet, isn't sold on the stock as result of Sirius XM's raised guidance. "It's better than nothing certainly, but it's no long-term testament to the viability of satellite radio," he said.

The company, which appears to have successfully fended off a once-feared delisting, still faces several challenges, Fuchs said, issues that are familar to any Sirius bear. First, he said, satellite radio is expensive since it's main competition is free radio: "From newspapers on, that is never a good proposition." Further, the competition for radio audiences is growing fiercer with the arrival of other new technologies, Fuchs said.

Read the rest of this article at theStreet.con

"Mrs. Marek Fuchs . . . . Mrs. Marek Fuchs concierge please"

Mentor
    05-19-2010, 10:00 PM #36

Getting to know who Fuchs is

Marek Fuchs was a stockbroker for Shearson Lehman Brothers and a money manager before becoming a journalist who wrote The New York Times' "County Lines" column for six years. He also did back-up beat coverage of The New York Knicks for the paper's Sports section for two seasons and covered other professional and collegiate sports. He has contributed frequently to many of the Times' other sections, including National, Metro, Escapes, Style, Real Estate, Arts & Leisure, Travel, Money & Business, Circuits and the Op-Ed Page. For his "Business Press Maven” column on how business and finance are covered by the media, Fuchs was named best business journalist critic in the nation by the Talking Biz website at The University of North Carolina School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Fuchs is a frequent speaker on the business media, in venues ranging from National Public Radio to the annual conference of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers. Fuchs was formerly editor-in-chief of Fertilemind.net, a financial website twice named "Best of the Web" by Forbes Magazine. He wrote an embarrassing chapter for a book, Over the Hill and Between the Sheets (Springboard Press, a Warner Book) which came out in 2007 and is currently writing another book, A Cold Blooded Business (Skyhorse, distributed by W.W. Norton), due out in 2008. It is about a murder case he covered for The New York Times that involved a Kansas bible college, Harvard Business School and the boardrooms of corporate America. Fuchs, who also does private editing and ghost writing, lives in a loud house with three children and is a volunteer firefighter.

Mentor
    05-19-2010, 10:03 PM #37

Lying Fuchs caught red-handed

Marek Fuchs: When You Are This Arrogant Why Bother to Read Covel’s Book!
    Book Reviews | October 28th, 2007

I believe NY Times and TheStreet.com reporter Marek Fuchs wrote a review of my new book without even reading it. I should note that in our email exchange below it was fairly predictable that Fuchs would go down the path of “Mike doesn’t have thick enough skin” as a defense for me questioning his competence. When you catch a reporter, a NY Times reporter, in the middle of sloppy reporting, its not surprising that when you press hard (which I did), he would come out arrogantly swinging back. Our email conversation:

Covel: Are you familiar with the factual errors in your review of my book?

Fuchs: I’ve written thousands of articles and have only made a handful of errors, but I am sorry I said you ran the experiment in my article (I didn’t make the sloppy mistake in my video). In quickly trying to edit out of a passively constructed “an experiment was run…” I slipped and I’m sorry. If there are any other errors, please let me know.

Covel: I have had feedback from a ton of people about your review. Intellectually honest criticism is one thing, I welcome it. But for a NY Times reporter to not read my book, and attempt to review it (while making factual errors), is frankly sad. One of my blog readers summed your effort up:

Reading the review of your book by Mr. Fuchs reminded of me an expression that goes something along the lines of ‘It is better to let the world think you are ignorant than to open your mouth and prove it’. Well, Mr. Fuchs may not have opened his mouth per se, but clearly his written word was more than sufficient to highlight his ignorance.

A follow-up from the same above reader:

When I sent my initial comment below I did not realize that Fuchs had posted the video review. Now that I have watched that review, I stand corrected of my original comment. Mr. Fuchs was in fact good enough to open his mouth to prove his ignorance. Criticism that is rooted in a difference of professional opinion or a failure to comprehend the subject matter (after making an effort to do so) is one thing. Criticism such as Fuchs’ which results from apparently nothing but an attempt to smear a book and its author without taking to the time to read the book much less obtaining at least a minimal understanding of the subject matter (i.e., the Turtles) is simply lazy and irresponsible. Apparently Fuchs doesn’t subscribe to the Jim Cramer mantra of ‘doing your homework’.

I would love to see you read my book one day.

Fuchs: Michael–Please don’t play that game. I read that book and can send you a bunch of letters too–including one from a former student of your’s–agreeing with my assesment [sic]. (He liked your class very much, by the way.) Again, if you think I made a specific error (other than the attribution of the contest in the aritlce [sic] and not the video–and I’m sorry for that) please let me know.

Covel: A former student? Huh? I am not Richard Dennis, I did not teach the Turtles. What are you talking about? Additionally:

1. You imply that the Turtles, the traders in my book, are slow and steady. Clearly, they were not. They were high risk and high reward.
    2. You say that the Turtle students were already successful. My book does not say this, nor is this an accurate description of events. The Turtle story is about taking people who were not wildly successful already and making them successful.
    3. You mockingly read a passage (with a smiling kid on your lap for good measure) from my book about a tortoise and hare. Problem? That story is not in my book. The word ‘hare’ is not in my book.
    4. You don’t understand that the Turtle traders were not fundamental traders and mockingly refer to my book advocating the use of momentum strategies. No kidding! That is what the book is about. You say “No turtle I know is a momentum player.” That statement demonstrates no grasp about what the Turtle experiment even was. Here are some comparison reviews, not to say you needed to praise my book (I could care less), but to show that you did not read the book (1), (2), (3), & (4). Maybe you glanced at some pages in my book, but you don’t have the facts even remotely understood. You demonstrate that in your writing and video. As I said, sad reporting.

Fuchs: Michael: I’m glad you may have gotten some good reivews [sic]. Better reason, perhaps, to have a thicker skin on a bad one. Look: in my subjective opinion, I did not like the book and did not think it would help investors who read it–the lens through which I judge. I never said the Turtles were already sucessful [sic] on Wall Street, but that they had sucess [sic] in other areas. Since many on Wall Street–those I used to work with, those I write about–come from varied backgrounds, I think trumpeting the fact that these one time novices did well makes too much of this (or any other) method. Plenty–as I made clear–have come from other fields. That is important for readers to know. In terms of the introduction of the video, that was a wry take on the turtle reference–I trust viewers know that the children’s tale of the turtle and the hare preceded this book. And, look, laying out a “sound” and “easy to follow” system for trading certainly implies a steadiness–especially when drawing a comparison with the braying on cable television. Problem was, too much of the advice, in the end, takes the form of platitudes. This is dangerous when the aim is fairly aggressive trading. That’s what I read, that’s what I said and that’s why I don’t think this is a good book for investors. Look–I’ve gotten plenty of letters, including from those who say they were seminar students of yours, that they were disappointed in the book. I’ve also gotten letters that they loved the book and I am the dumbest thing since the Edsel. I side with the first and I’ll hazard a guess that you throw your hat in with the second.

Covel: I welcome bad reviews from people who have read the book. Intellectually honest debates are great. However, you still don’t have a clue what the book is even about and continue to misrepresent basic facts in it. Your email is further confirmation of that fact. Perhaps you were just lazy that day? No matter, it was an extremely weak effort for a NY Times reporter.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 05-19-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Mentor
    05-19-2010, 10:23 PM #38

Lori Fuchs

Posted June 24, 2009

Husband vs. Wife: About Those Store Credit Cards

By Marek and Lori Fuchs

Lori and Marek Fuchs have never fought in their 16 years of marriage—except over money. In this column, Mr. and Mrs. Fuchs, a real-life married couple with three kids (ages 11, 7 and 5), will articulate their very different approaches to personal finance. Last round, after broken promises on both sides, they decided to pay for everything with debit cards.

This round, she says: Having store credit cards with zero balances is good for our credit score. He says: No way.

Mr. Fuchs says: Remember the other day when you told me to grab a few singles out of your wallet?

Mrs. Fuchs says: Yes.

Mr. Fuchs says: Well I accidentally dropped your wallet and enough store credit cards fell out to cap a landfill.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Now you are exaggerating. I know I have a few but I hardly ever use them!

Mr. Fuchs says: Sears (Stock Quote: SHLD), Target (Stock Quote: TGT), Gap (Stock Quote: GPS), Macy’s, Nordstrom, Barney’s…. Barney’s?!

Mrs. Fuchs says: That was before we had kids.

Mr. Fuchs says: But why do you have them if you hardly use them?

Mrs. Fuchs says: Well, first of all, most have zero balances. And don’t forget I’ve given them up altogether, since last week, when we promised to only use debit cards. But take our Sears card, right? We bought a Kenmore dishwasher more than a year ago. Sears was offering 0% financing if you opened up a card and paid the sum off within a year. That’s just what I did. And why not? We got a free loan. Where’s the harm? And sometimes the stores offer you 10 or 20% off on the day’s purchase if you open an account. If it is a big shopping day, don’t you want me to save 10 or 20%?

Mr. Fuchs says: Well, what if your bevy of inactive cards is closed down on you? That’ll kill your credit.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Wrong again, honey. As long as there is not a balance on the card when I terminate, it will just go down on my credit report as “closed.” That’s something you don’t have to worry about from a credit score perspective. It's way different than the scary alternative: a designation of “closed by grantor,” which means the card company shut it. That's what hurts your credit. Just ask Steven Katz, a spokesman for TransUnion, the Chicago-based credit giant.

Mr. Fuchs says: I did ask Katz. But he also said that you had to be somewhat careful about inactive cards. Sometimes you have a tiny balance or a fee hits and you ignore the letters because you assume the balance is totally clean. Other times, you are getting statements by email and change providers, so you don’t get notified. Then, guess what? You get hit with a “closed by grantor.”

Mrs. Fuchs says: OK, so I have to be careful to read my statements. But tell them what Katz also said.

Mr. Fuchs says: Do I have to?

Mrs. Fuchs says: Yes.

Mr. Fuchs says: He also said that though opening a store card can itself hurt your credit by making you appear “credit hungry,” actually having cards you don’t use helps your credit. It shows just the opposite—that you are not credit hungry and can, in fact, turn away from temptation.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Well, except for Barney’s…

Mr. Fuchs says: Don’t remind me. So what should we do? I’m a little worried because store cards were always riskier loans and in the current environment, defaults have been higher than on non-branded credit cards. They are likely to be closed down with a greater degree of frequency, but it’s hard to get a bead on when, why and how. Those Sears cards are handled by Citigroup (Stock Quote: C) and a spokesman there wouldn’t even release their policy on closing inactive accounts, because he said it was proprietary. Like the special sauce at McDonald’s (Stock Quote: MCD), I guess. You say that you’ll be diligent in checking, but with three kids and work, we’ve learned about promises of diligence in financial planning.

Mr. Fuchs says: Then again, the advantage of having cards you don’t use assisting your credit report seems silly to give up. Katz said that as long as you are pretty good about checking for the zero balance, just close one inactive card down a year. You’ll eventually rid yourself of the potential headache, while taking advantage of the credit boost along the way.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Sounds like a plan.

Mr. Fuchs says: And how.

Mrs. Fuchs: Now next time, honey? Stay out of my wallet.

Mentor
    05-19-2010, 10:24 PM #39
    sorry if this is off-topic folks . . . but I am just fascinated with these Fuchs

Mentor
    05-19-2010, 10:39 PM #40

Sloppy Fuchs

TheStreet.com Messes Up on Sprint
    by: Amit Chokshi March 02, 2010

One of the issues financial content providers face is the need to constantly churn out new content. That need for new content can sometimes lead to those providing information to badly miss in terms of providing accurate information and that's what recently happened with a video discussion on Sprint Nextel Corp. (S). TheStreet.com contributor Marek Fuchs provided a sloppy analysis of why one would want to avoid shares in S.

In the video, Marek tells viewers to avoid S, which was up about 1% at midday on Monday, March 1, 2010. Marek indicates that S is up because traders expect that Palm (PALM) will continue to struggle and that this will benefit S. Marek indicates that PALM's demise will not benefit S because S is the #3 player in the smartphone field (his words, not mine).

For the uninitiated, PALM is a designer of mobile devices while S operates the networks those devices use. S is not the #3 player in the smartphone market, S is the third largest wireless network in the U.S., based on subscribers, which is a big difference. S and PALM are not competitors and the success or failure of PALM will have no material impact on S.

While there is a well developed bull and bear case for S, the main point is to make sure the facts are correct. TheStreet.com missed badly here as the viewers of the video may be swayed to avoid investing in a company that successful investors such as Philip Falcone of Harbinger Capital and John Paulson of Paulson & Co. have been buying of late.

Page 4 of 8 ... 23456 ...