Page 5 of 8 ... 34567 ...
    Mentor
    05-19-2010, 10:46 PM #41

Wink Fuchs rightfully sued

ELENA RUTH SASSOWER, individually and as Coordinator of the Center for Judicial Accountability, Inc., CENTER FOR JUDICIAL ACCOUNTABILITY, INC., and
    The Public as represented by them,

Plaintiffs,
    v.

THE NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY, The New York Times, ARTHUR SULZBERGER, JR., BILL KELLER, JILL ABRAMSON, ALLAN M. SIEGAL, GAIL COLLINS, individually and on behalf of THE EDITORIAL BOARD, DANIEL OKRENT, BYRON CALAME, MAREK FUCHS, and DOES 1-20,

Defendants.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 05-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    05-20-2010, 09:05 AM #42
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    Good time of year for gas prices to drop, in time for summer vacations!
    Did I mention I will be going down to the shore, in 12 days?

Oh ya, I did mention that already.

Julie
    12 days Julie...

You should be able to mention this at least a few more times!

Mentor
    05-20-2010, 09:09 AM #43
    I found this little article about productivity and revenue per employee.

It looks like SiriusXm is getting some great revenue per employee. I only wish my businesses were so productive!

Comtex Smartrend(r)

Related Companies
    Symbol Last %Chg
    DTV 37.79 0.00%
    SNI 45.35 0.00%
    SIRI 1.05 0.00%

As of 4:00 PM ET 5/19/10
    Below are the top five most-efficient companies in the Cable & Satellite industry as ranked by Revenue Per Employee (RPE). Analysts use RPE as a measure to compare the productivity of companies in the same industry.

Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ:SIRI) ranks first with an RPE of $1.68M; DIRECTV (NASDAQTV) ranks second with an RPE of $1.4M; and Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE:SNI) ranks third with an RPE of $0.92M.

RCN (NASDAQ:RCNI) follows with an RPE of $0.51M and DISH Network (NASDAQISH) rounds out the top five with an RPE of $0.48M

Mentor
    05-20-2010, 02:00 PM #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Today could be a blood bath. Majority of the worlds markets are red and our premarket indicators look to be following suit. FAZ up 4 percent, FXP up 2 percent, they have been on a tear. FAZ my biggest holding 1400 shares went up 11 percent yesterday, 1.50 per share. It has been quite the ride this year for me....up 2k down 10k back up 9k and right about now I look to be "going sizzler". Wish me luck, I need a two bucks to get back to my average purchase price 17.70. Protect your stack.

Big Ben is officially done, I am going with DD....Dennis Dixon...the future star quarterback in Pittsburgh.

DD

Some of the shorts have pulled back while I was typing but don't let that move fool you. They are shaking the trees to see what falls out, nothing more, premarket swings are very normal, get short.

DD, it looks like you might have made a good call for this week.
    I trimmed quite a bit of SIRI yesterday and even more today.

Guru
    05-20-2010, 03:09 PM #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Posted June 24, 2009

Husband vs. Wife: About Those Store Credit Cards

By Marek and Lori Fuchs

Lori and Marek Fuchs have never fought in their 16 years of marriage—except over money. In this column, Mr. and Mrs. Fuchs, a real-life married couple with three kids (ages 11, 7 and 5), will articulate their very different approaches to personal finance. Last round, after broken promises on both sides, they decided to pay for everything with debit cards.

This round, she says: Having store credit cards with zero balances is good for our credit score. He says: No way.

Mr. Fuchs says: Remember the other day when you told me to grab a few singles out of your wallet?

Mrs. Fuchs says: Yes.

Mr. Fuchs says: Well I accidentally dropped your wallet and enough store credit cards fell out to cap a landfill.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Now you are exaggerating. I know I have a few but I hardly ever use them!

Mr. Fuchs says: Sears (Stock Quote: SHLD), Target (Stock Quote: TGT), Gap (Stock Quote: GPS), Macy’s, Nordstrom, Barney’s…. Barney’s?!

Mrs. Fuchs says: That was before we had kids.

Mr. Fuchs says: But why do you have them if you hardly use them?

Mrs. Fuchs says: Well, first of all, most have zero balances. And don’t forget I’ve given them up altogether, since last week, when we promised to only use debit cards. But take our Sears card, right? We bought a Kenmore dishwasher more than a year ago. Sears was offering 0% financing if you opened up a card and paid the sum off within a year. That’s just what I did. And why not? We got a free loan. Where’s the harm? And sometimes the stores offer you 10 or 20% off on the day’s purchase if you open an account. If it is a big shopping day, don’t you want me to save 10 or 20%?

Mr. Fuchs says: Well, what if your bevy of inactive cards is closed down on you? That’ll kill your credit.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Wrong again, honey. As long as there is not a balance on the card when I terminate, it will just go down on my credit report as “closed.” That’s something you don’t have to worry about from a credit score perspective. It's way different than the scary alternative: a designation of “closed by grantor,” which means the card company shut it. That's what hurts your credit. Just ask Steven Katz, a spokesman for TransUnion, the Chicago-based credit giant.

Mr. Fuchs says: I did ask Katz. But he also said that you had to be somewhat careful about inactive cards. Sometimes you have a tiny balance or a fee hits and you ignore the letters because you assume the balance is totally clean. Other times, you are getting statements by email and change providers, so you don’t get notified. Then, guess what? You get hit with a “closed by grantor.”

Mrs. Fuchs says: OK, so I have to be careful to read my statements. But tell them what Katz also said.

Mr. Fuchs says: Do I have to?

Mrs. Fuchs says: Yes.

Mr. Fuchs says: He also said that though opening a store card can itself hurt your credit by making you appear “credit hungry,” actually having cards you don’t use helps your credit. It shows just the opposite—that you are not credit hungry and can, in fact, turn away from temptation.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Well, except for Barney’s…

Mr. Fuchs says: Don’t remind me. So what should we do? I’m a little worried because store cards were always riskier loans and in the current environment, defaults have been higher than on non-branded credit cards. They are likely to be closed down with a greater degree of frequency, but it’s hard to get a bead on when, why and how. Those Sears cards are handled by Citigroup (Stock Quote: C) and a spokesman there wouldn’t even release their policy on closing inactive accounts, because he said it was proprietary. Like the special sauce at McDonald’s (Stock Quote: MCD), I guess. You say that you’ll be diligent in checking, but with three kids and work, we’ve learned about promises of diligence in financial planning.

Mr. Fuchs says: Then again, the advantage of having cards you don’t use assisting your credit report seems silly to give up. Katz said that as long as you are pretty good about checking for the zero balance, just close one inactive card down a year. You’ll eventually rid yourself of the potential headache, while taking advantage of the credit boost along the way.

Mrs. Fuchs says: Sounds like a plan.

Mr. Fuchs says: And how.

Mrs. Fuchs: Now next time, honey? Stay out of my wallet.

Hey speaking from personal experience and someone that TAKES FULL ADVANTAGE of credit card companies and has a score of 786. Opening up credit cards is not that hard on your score it may bring it down by 5 to 10 points over a 3 month time span but will then raise it up higher then before. I do it all the time to take advantage of the bonus points systems.

Need proof (and your going to love this one): My wife and I both opened cards with American Express, Delta Gold (NO FEE for the first year (thats the important thing always)), we got 20,000 miles just to open the cards plus if we each got 2 other users we got another 5,000 miles each (she used me, I used her, and we both used her mother). Then make a one time small purchase using the card. The kicker here is that you can used those miles to get gift cards (at a ratio of a 50 dollar card per 5000 miles). Now while the selection is not great it is ok (Bed Bath Body Works, Bed Bath and Beyond, Gap, Dardon Restaurants, ect., ect.). What that means is that we got 500 dollars to spend for just signing up. After you get the gift cards and if you dont want to pay the fee for the credit card you cancel it before the year is up. AND I THINK IT IS STILL GOING (but with only 20,000 miles).

P.S. You can use them for a free flights also and you actually need to ask them about the site to get to the gift card section because it is not out in the open. I believe the site is called, "SkyMiles Marketplace" (goto the left side hit home, then goto the left side again and at the bottom it will have gift cards).

P.S.S. After you EACH get your 200 to 250 dollars in gift cards you can thank me.

If you think that was the best it gets, think again. While they finally closed the loophole in the system (AFTER A YEAR). If you had a citibank account and credit cards that offer points for purchases. Then you could open up CDs using credit cards to fund them and because those funding of CDs looked and acted like purchases you got all the points for them. So yes thats right if you wanted to open a 15,000 dollar CD (for only 3 months because you will want to do it again as soon as possible) you would get whatever the percentage the credit cards are giving in points (EVERY 3 MONTHS), PLUS you were using the credit card companies money for the first month (at least). So not only are you collecting interest on the same money in your citi bank account for the first month but you will be getting the interest from the CD thats already been opened. So that means while most were getting 2.25% for a 5 year CD, people that did this would get anywhere from 7 to 12% (depending on the percentage of points you got for purchases) for that year. This was all above board and Citi Bank even promoted it.

These deals are always out there and while you have to take care to close accounts at certain times, and be able to keep track of your cards closely, where else are you going to get 500 dollars for a 20 minute call to sign up and a 10 minute call to cancel (time it took both of us to get the cards and then both of us to cancel).

I do not recommend you doing this if you dont have some self control to only use the credit cards for the purposes I talked about. Remember the reason you are opening up the card in the first place and once you get that benefit close it.

P.S. I know of several other ways for you to use the system legally to your favor, if you would like any of them PM me.

Mentor
    05-20-2010, 05:32 PM #46
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hey speaking from personal experience and someone that TAKES FULL ADVANTAGE of credit card companies and has a score of 786. Opening up credit cards is not that hard on your score it may bring it down by 5 to 10 points over a 3 month time span but will then raise it up higher then before. I do it all the time to take advantage of the bonus points systems.

Need proof (and your going to love this one): My wife and I both opened cards with American Express, Delta Gold (NO FEE for the first year (thats the important thing always)), we got 20,000 miles just to open the cards plus if we each got 2 other users we got another 5,000 miles each (she used me, I used her, and we both used her mother). Then make a one time small purchase using the card. The kicker here is that you can used those miles to get gift cards (at a ratio of a 50 dollar card per 5000 miles). Now while the selection is not great it is ok (Bed Bath Body Works, Bed Bath and Beyond, Gap, Dardon Restaurants, ect., ect.). What that means is that we got 500 dollars to spend for just signing up. After you get the gift cards and if you dont want to pay the fee for the credit card you cancel it before the year is up. AND I THINK IT IS STILL GOING (but with only 20,000 miles).

P.S. You can use them for a free flights also and you actually need to ask them about the site to get to the gift card section because it is not out in the open. I believe the site is called, "SkyMiles Marketplace" (goto the left side hit home, then goto the left side again and at the bottom it will have gift cards).

P.S.S. After you EACH get your 200 to 250 dollars in gift cards you can thank me.

If you think that was the best it gets, think again. While they finally closed the loophole in the system (AFTER A YEAR). If you had a citibank account and credit cards that offer points for purchases. Then you could open up CDs using credit cards to fund them and because those funding of CDs looked and acted like purchases you got all the points for them. So yes thats right if you wanted to open a 15,000 dollar CD (for only 3 months because you will want to do it again as soon as possible) you would get whatever the percentage the credit cards are giving in points (EVERY 3 MONTHS), PLUS you were using the credit card companies money for the first month (at least). So not only are you collecting interest on the same money in your citi bank account for the first month but you will be getting the interest from the CD thats already been opened. So that means while most were getting 2.25% for a 5 year CD, people that did this would get anywhere from 7 to 12% (depending on the percentage of points you got for purchases) for that year. This was all above board and Citi Bank even promoted it.

These deals are always out there and while you have to take care to close accounts at certain times, and be able to keep track of your cards closely, where else are you going to get 500 dollars for a 20 minute call to sign up and a 10 minute call to cancel (time it took both of us to get the cards and then both of us to cancel).

I do not recommend you doing this if you dont have some self control to only use the credit cards for the purposes I talked about. Remember the reason you are opening up the card in the first place and once you get that benefit close it.

P.S. I know of several other ways for you to use the system legally to your favor, if you would like any of them PM me.
    Thanks for the info john . . . I have been researching to try and find the best deal with free miles . . . I will take a look at this one!

Mentor
    05-20-2010, 05:43 PM #47

Unhappy Sell in May and Go Away . . . Down the Shore

Seems like people are forgetting this age-old adage today . . .

The traders/brokers are getting ready to open their summer homes down the shore next weekend . . . they need to be the first ones in; it's very important to already be there with your feet up when the neighbors arrive, very important to the trader psyche . . . the wives have North American Van Lines already loading-up all the kid's crap to take down to the shore house.

The traders/brokers are getting in one good last hard bang of the secretary today before heading down the shore for the summer because they know they will be stuck 24-7 with the trophy wife and the general contrators installing the center island, white granite counter-tops, cherry cabinets, brazilian hardwood flooring, the jen-aire, viking, sub zero etc etc etc . .

So they sell in May and go away in exile . . . down the shore . . . then we get the June Swoon . . . nothing happens in the market.

If you are wise, you will be aggressively adding to you Siri positions here well ahead of October 1 . . . take my advice and take what they give you while they are not minding the store!
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 05-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Mentor
    05-20-2010, 10:52 PM #48
    How'd those stop-loss orders work out for everyone today?

The Ivy League pickpockets strike again!

Leave your keys in the ignition and you deserve to have your car stolen . . .

Mentor
    05-21-2010, 10:12 AM #49
    Quite the rebound we have going on here today.

We opened around 92 cents and we're now trading for a dollar in less than 45 minutes.

Guru
    05-21-2010, 11:05 AM #50
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Quite the rebound we have going on here today.

We opened around 92 cents and we're now trading for a dollar in less than 45 minutes.
    That was sweet! Now to attack the two gaps from earlier this week and close at 1.07.

Page 5 of 8 ... 34567 ...