Page 1 of 3 123
    Head Honcho
    05-19-2007, 05:25 PM #1

Sirius Satellite Installation on Jeep Wrangler

If you have ever owned a jeep you know the real estate to install anything is at a premium. I came up with what I think is a good idea to install a Sirius Sportster right behind the shifter on top of the small coin tray. My reasoning for this spot is two fold… first of all it keeps your unit out of the line of site of potential thieves and secondly, it keeps the unit out of your line of site while driving.

All you have to do is simply pop out the coin tray, hold the mounting bracket that came with your sportster up to the tray then mark and drill two holes in the tray. Then simply screw the mounting bracket to the coin tray and pop it back into center console molding. Make sure you mount the bracket towards the side of the tray that is closest to the shifter so the unit will clear the dashboard.

There are no real problems with being able to see the unit especially with the backlit LCD. The only issue might be reaching down to change the channels. I can do it no problem because I have long arms but, if you don’t simply use the remote that is provided with the unit.

I do not have a picture of how I ran the antenna wire because it is raining out and the top is up right now but, I can tell you how I did it. Simply cut a hole in the middle of the rollbar (the one in the middle by the soundbar), then slide the wire down the rollbar past the seatbelt all the way down to the floor. Then run the wire under the rug up to the dashboard. Slide the wire behind the dashboard and over to the unit. The actual antenna will stay in place because of the magnet on the back of it and because the hole that was cut is so small the unit has no where to go. For the record the soft top does not interfere with the signal at all and the top can be put up and down with no issues.

Hope this helps for all you Jeep driving, Sirius loving fans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

05-19-2007, 08:02 PM #2
    Antenna Placement on the Jeep Wranglers is a very common concern. I'd love to see a picture of it, if it's not too much to ask.

Head Honcho
    05-25-2007, 08:40 PM #3
    It was 95 and sunny here today so, here are your pictures of the antenna. I added in a red line to show exactly where I ran the wire. You might need to use a little bit of imagination because it was impossible to get an angle that got the "big picture" and had the seat/wheel out of the way. I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12-29-2007, 12:18 PM #4

Jeep Wrangler

Has anyone tried to install on the hood? A friend said they did this and it worked well - dropped the wire down the dashboard.

Head Honcho
    12-29-2007, 06:45 PM #5
    I am sure the reception would be just as good but, it wouldn't look to hot. Thats why the rollbar is a perfect place.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-04-2008, 09:20 PM #6

Looks great

Nice install. I like how you hid your wires the best way you could. I just installed mine on a 07 Ram. Love my sirius......

Head Honcho
    01-04-2008, 09:25 PM #7
    Thanks. The antenna wire is completely hidden as far as the power cable goes...thats the best I could do without hardwiring to the fuse box...which I just might do this summer (It's zero degrees in Boston right now).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-10-2008, 10:45 AM #8
    Thanks for showing how you ran the antenna. Didn't know what to do with it. Checked all drawings and no Jeeps! Thanks again!

Don P

02-14-2008, 10:25 PM #9
    Are you using FM wireless to the radio? if so did you have to use the FM extender?

Head Honcho
    02-14-2008, 11:08 PM #10
    I used a direct wire connection from the Sportster to the aux jack in the back of the head unit. I highly recommend using a hard wire, the quality is far superior.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 1 of 3 123