It's amazing he can screw them too lol.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/11/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    05-11-2010, 08:50 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post

Yeah, it may not be the best idea to spend your way out of economic trouble. But.... What is the alternative? If they don't save Greece, your domino theory may happen and that may be worse.

I remember when George Bush told our nation to go shopping and spend money we didn't have after the September 11th attack. I thought that was stupid then. And we really paid the price a few years later with a very deep recession.

Spending without raising taxes will never be the answer. It doesn't work in business and it will never work in government.

When a business takes a loan, they have a plan to pay it back. Usually by increasing sales volume and profit margins. When national governments take loans, they rarely, if ever, have a plan to pay it back. Local and State Governments on the other hand take a lot of loans to build schools and other facilities. But, usually, they raise taxes and have a payoff plan in mind. If only National Governments had to operate under the same guidelines....

Guru
    05-11-2010, 09:31 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Yeah, it may not be the best idea to spend your way out of economic trouble. But.... What is the alternative? If they don't save Greece, your domino theory may happen and that may be worse.

I remember when George Bush told our nation to go shopping and spend money we didn't have after the September 11th attack. I thought that was stupid then. And we really paid the price a few years later with a very deep recession.

Spending without raising taxes will never be the answer. It doesn't work in business and it will never work in government.

When a business takes a loan, they have a plan to pay it back. Usually by increasing sales volume and profit margins. When national governments take loans, they rarely, if ever, have a plan to pay it back. Local and State Governments on the other hand take a lot of loans to build schools and other facilities. But, usually, they raise taxes and have a payoff plan in mind. If only National Governments had to operate under the same guidelines....
    Well spoken Candleman. I know Obama has talked about reducing our debt. It'll be interesting to see the outcome. Actually, it won't; I'm pretty sure we're due for massive taxes on both citizens and corporate America.

Legend
    05-11-2010, 10:56 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post

"weeks of hesitant half-steps to address Greece's debt problems had only worsened market worries about the euro, and were threatening the still-fragile
    economic recoveries in the United States and Asia."

"He was trying to convey that he knew that these were POLITICALLY difficult steps that the leaders there had to take, that he had gone throught them as well, and that from his experience, trying to get out ahead as much as possible was the right way to go."

Are you sure S&L that this was purely a bad thing as you seem to suggest?

P.S. You do remember my article that stated that one of the reasons Greece was in the mess was that they hadnt been collecting enough taxes?
    "a sovereign debt crisis-compounded by a recession that had CUT TAX RECEIPTS"
    You may not agree but our govt does need to collect taxes to run effectivey. Its a matter of how much, where they come from, and in the case of gasooline as i show in my other article how much HIDDEN taxes are being used to keep a price of something low.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 05-11-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Guru
    05-11-2010, 11:17 AM #5
    [QUOTE=Havakasha;62008You may not agree but our govt does need to collect taxes to run effectivey. Its a matter of how much, where they come from, and in the case of gasooline as i show in my other article how much HIDDEN taxes are being used to keep a price of something low.[/QUOTE]

What we have here is a typical tax and spend democrat!! lol.

In the case of gasoline, companies buy foreign oil just as we consumers buy foreign goods. Citing "loss of wealth" is kind of dumb.

Legend
    05-11-2010, 11:35 AM #6
    At least he is not a cut the tax on the millionaires and billionaires and sock it to the middle class kind of Republican. LOL.

Just read the true cost of gasoline thread (particular the 2nd link). We have been paying BIG TIME for having kept gas prices low all these years.

Obviously tax policy is complex and no one likes to pay TOO MANY taxes.
    Especially when we feel they arent being spent in the most efficient of ways.
    But these problems have been building for a LONG time though i know you dont like to talk about the past .

i always appreciate your sense of humor mr. S&L as opposed to that "other guy". Lol.