Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Blowout Preventers on Oil Wells Known to Fail

  1. #1
    Havakasha is offline

    Blowout Preventers on Oil Wells Known to Fail

    We find out once again that the oil industry regulators (like those for wall st.)
    have weakened testing requirments over the years.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...ut-preventers/

  2. #2
    Havakasha is offline
    In addition, here is an article about how the lobbyists of BP have fended off oil regulators over the years because of their money and influence.

    http://www.newsweek.com/id/237651?fr...Top+Stories%29

  3. #3
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    In addition, here is an article about how the lobbyists of BP have fended off oil regulators over the years because of their money and influence.

    http://www.newsweek.com/id/237651?fr...Top+Stories%29
    We shouldn't be surprised by this sort of activity, and yet I am. I want to believe that our system is better than this.

    This is the same sort of foolishness that has happened in the coal mining industry.

    And in the end, we get cheap energy and our workers die while providing it for us. And our environment suffers. All in the name of cheap energy.

    You've got to wonder, when will we ever learn.

  4. #4
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    We find out once again that the oil industry regulators (like those for wall st.)
    have weakened testing requirments over the years.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...ut-preventers/
    Hey Lloyd, how much do you want to bet that John thinks this is a left wing conspiracy against the oil industry....

  5. #5
    Havakasha is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Hey Lloyd, how much do you want to bet that John thinks this is a left wing conspiracy against the oil industry....
    I have no doubts. lol. Probably believes like some of the crazies that the Obama administration did this on purpose so they could backtrack from their
    proposal on oil drilling offshore in the climate change legislation.

  6. #6
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    We find out once again that the oil industry regulators (like those for wall st.)
    have weakened testing requirments over the years.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...ut-preventers/
    The news just got worse and worse as the weekend progressed. The oil still flows non stop into the Gulf. Fisherman out of work. Tourists canceling vacations. The Dome didn't work.

    We can't do this off shore drilling safely. When you spill oil into the water like this, the long term effect can't be known for years to come. We DO know how to conserve energy and that's the long term answer to this long term problem.

  7. #7
    Havakasha is offline
    I agree. The news is definitely getting worse.

    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update2-.html

    Conservation is absolutely the first place to start. We can save trillions of dollars.

    Did you know the Congress passed a "cash for caulkers" program recently?

  8. #8
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I agree. The news is definitely getting worse.

    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update2-.html

    Conservation is absolutely the first place to start. We can save trillions of dollars.

    Did you know the Congress passed a "cash for caulkers" program recently?
    Cash for Caulkers....are you serious?

    I'm not aware of that.

    But, I do know that if we'd just keep our homes and businesses below 70 in the winter and above 78 in the summer, the savings would be huge! And if we just averaged 25 miles per gallon, the savings would also be huge. And here is one that travelers forget so often. If we would drive instead of fly, fuel per mile could be cut in more than half.

    There are many ways to fix these problems. And they aren't new. We just have to use our heads and conserve our way out of this mess.

    The new Conservative could be a person that really cares about our world and strives to conserve our natural recourses. What a great idea!

  9. #9
    Havakasha is offline
    Its the same model as "cash for clunkers" Its an attempt to encourage people to caulk their homes and by so doing save money over the long term on heating bills. Its a fact that if people would caulk, insulate and buy more energy efficient appliances they would say hundreds of dollars a years.


    Conservation. What a novel idea. Yeah you would think that Conservatives could easily get behind this one, but so far not too many are doing so.

  10. #10
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Its the same model as "cash for clunkers" Its an attempt to encourage people to caulk their homes and by so doing save money over the long term on heating bills. Its a fact that if people would caulk, insulate and buy more energy efficient appliances they would say hundreds of dollars a years.


    Conservation. What a novel idea. Yeah you would think that Conservatives could easily get behind this one, but so far not too many are doing so.
    Last fall, we changed all of the lightbulbs in the track lighting system at one of our stores to those screwy looking new bulbs. Our electric bill has decreased by about 60%. The electric savings will pay for the bulbs in about 15 months. The bulbs should last 5 to 10 years. This is a real profit maker for me. And, it's helping to save energy too. Pretty damn Conservative if you ask me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •