Legend
    05-11-2010, 12:12 PM #1

Solar Electricity Makes Financial Sense Now

Here is a guy who has a 3,200 square foot home.

"Since the (photovoltaic) system was installed about three years ago, our electric bill has averaged $166 A YEAR. We make virtually all the power we
    consume -- and that's in a house with two adults, two teenagers, four flat-screen HDTV's, seven computers-- you get the idea. The cost? After i factored in second-mortgage-interest, tax writeoffs and inflation over the 40 year projected life of the system, it looks like we'll save $78,000 compared with the cost of buying electricity from the utility. And prices of systems have PLUNGED since we took the plunge: our 6 kilowatt system that cost about $39,000 three years ago is about $28,000."

Come on S&L where is your pioneering spirit? You know that spirit that built America.

Guru
    05-11-2010, 01:59 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Here is a guy who has a 3,200 square foot home.

"Since the (photovoltaic) system was installed about three years ago, our electric bill has averaged $166 A YEAR. We make virtually all the power we
    consume -- and that's in a house with two adults, two teenagers, four flat-screen HDTV's, seven computers-- you get the idea. The cost? After i factored in second-mortgage-interest, tax writeoffs and inflation over the 40 year projected life of the system, it looks like we'll save $78,000 compared with the cost of buying electricity from the utility. And prices of systems have PLUNGED since we took the plunge: our 6 kilowatt system that cost about $39,000 three years ago is about $28,000."

Come on S&L where is your pioneering spirit? You know that spirit that built America.
    According to this "solar calculator", it is affordable. But there's more to it - batteries, inverters, wiring, maintenance..........

http://www.findsolar.com/index.php?page=rightforme

Here's another good link.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/

Here's what I can tell you. I spend around $130 per month on electricity with about 15% of that being surcharges, taxes and service charges. A 200 watt panel lights two 100 watt bulb and costs nominally $650 (panel only). It would take well over 5 years to get paid back (not to mention the 8 maple trees I'd have to take down, but that would be great - wouldn't have to deal with 55 gallon drums of those flippin helicopter things).

Again, I hope every residence in the US puts panels on their roofs, because every panel has one junction box and two connectors made from plastic my company makes!!!

Legend
    05-11-2010, 02:06 PM #3
    Investing now for the future seems like the wise way to do business. No?
    I dont mind spending more now if i know i will save money over the long term. Of course you have to have the money now.

LED's are the new technology in lighting. They cost more upfront but will save you a lot over the long run. Its the future of lighting along with OLED's. Future TV's with be made of these as well.

The Govt is pushing energy efficiency in refrigerators, air conditioners etc.
    Its a smart move.

I sure hope your company prospers in the future.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 05-11-2010 at 02:12 PM.