05-06-2010, 01:46 AM #1

Sirius Sportster 5 and static (direct connect)

Today for the first time I experienced static from my sportster 5 radio. I've had Sirius since December. I quickly googled and I seen that there were several posts complaining about static on their radios. Some where repaired under warranty while for others, the user was SOL.

Has anyone successfully got Sirius to repair the radio under a goodwill (warranty) program? Are all Sirius radios junk?

A collegue of mine has an Audiovox XM radio for almost a year and he takes his in and out of his car to work all the time and hasnt had any issue with it. Reports with the Sportster indcate the problem stems with the cradle and radio as the problem.

Enthusiast
    05-07-2010, 03:33 PM #2
    I had a MiRGE Radio that went bad, the back light went out, and it was replaced under warranty, the only thing with any SIRIUS-repair-replacement under warranty, is that with my MiRGE, they didn't fix it, they just sent me a brand new one-in-the-box with EVERYTHING, and told me that if anything else needed to be replaced are was broken, to just take what-ever I needed out of the box along with the Radio, and replace it with whatever is broken, then send it back to them within 30 days, if you don't do this, they will charge you the FULL PRICE of the radio on whatever Credit Card you give them, when you order your replacement Radio

FYI: if it's your radio you should get a replacement from the SIRIUS WARRANTY CENTER......here's the number to call them, also make sure you have your sid-number of the broken radio, and your SIRIUS ACCOUNT NUMBER, if you want faster service, you don't need proof of purchase, if you bought it from SIRIUS, if you bought it from somewhere else, make sure you have proof of purchase to send them via FAX are EMAIL:

SIRIUS XM 1-800-869-5364 also take a look at THIS: http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3940
    Last edited by denb45; 05-07-2010 at 07:09 PM.

07-23-2010, 06:56 PM #3
    How long is the warranty? I don't think it's a year on the radios. I think it's 90 days?

Funny thing...the static "seemed" to go away and now its' back. Typically, I have the unit at my place of work but lately, I have been using it in car and I once again notice the static on all stations and with headphones directly connected no matter what headphones I use.

Enthusiast
    07-24-2010, 10:09 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    How long is the warranty? I don't think it's a year on the radios. I think it's 90 days?

Funny thing...the static "seemed" to go away and now its' back. Typically, I have the unit at my place of work but lately, I have been using it in car and I once again notice the static on all stations and with headphones directly connected no matter what headphones I use.
    Unless SXM has changed the warranty policy of what they now sell any radio from SXMs website store, it's a 1 yr. warranty, but if you buy it from another on-line-place it's only 90 days, so make sure that place you buy it form covers that, some do not.....
    Last edited by denb45; 07-24-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Enthusiast
    08-17-2010, 04:42 PM #5
    Right now it appears that all sirius warranty's are 90 days. It is written in the product manual. I have spoken to some customers who have gotten them to go outside of that so it wouldn't hurt to call and inquire. I just can't guarantee it will work.