Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97

Thread: Oil leaks into the ocean!!!! stop all the drilling.

  1. #1
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836

    Oil leaks into the ocean!!!! stop all the drilling.

    I guess the next plane that crashes also means we also should stop fling.

  2. #2
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I guess the next plane that crashes also means we also should stop fling.
    That just doesn't make any sense.

    If one plane crashes, maybe 2 or 3 hundred people die. That's 2 or 3 hundred out of hundreds of millions of people that fly regularly.

    But, when an off shore well blows out, it could have a devistating impact on millions of Americans. Fisherman, vacationers, property owners, shipping companies, consumers, all sorts of Americans will be effected by this disaster.

    The two just don't compare. This is the sort of logic that Sarah Drill Baby Drill Palin uses. That's exactly why she will never govern again. This is just stupid logic that makes no sense at all.

  3. #3
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Candleman, let me school you here on the very same simple logic you just used. Ok lets first take you analogy of millions fly out of the few that die in plane crashes. In comparison then hundreds of MILLIONS and MILLIONs of BARRELs of oil have been gotten for every barrel that has leaked into the oceans (caused by man).

    A plane that crashes kills people, A oil leak is an empacked that has rarely killed anyone so as far as any impact of an oil leak, it is all reversable and can and always is reimbursed for.

    As for you saying the two cant be compared to each other you are correct a plane crash is much worse. Unless you think someone dying is worse then some economic impact that will eventually will be reimburst.

    The fact is the economic empact is worse for all those you talked about along with the rest of us because 4, 5, and 6 dollar a gallon gas would have a far larger economic impact then what this leak has or will cause.


    There is a basic fact I am trying to get through to you about this leak. That basically compared to all the rest of the oil we get and the leaks that happen this leak is a DROP in the bucket. To be accurate and be on the same comparison then this leak is like a drop in a olympic pool.

    P.S. Did you know that they estimate that over the whole Gulf Coast 200,000 barrels of oil per year NATURALLY leak out of the sea floor and into the ocean. Once again when taken into consideration of the size of the Gulf it is considerd a DROP IN THE BUCKET.

  4. #4
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    John, I think that there will be no reasonable way to tell how many people may die from this oil. The toll may take decades to determine. People eating fish that are tainted. People breathing tainted air. People that may die in the next hurricane that MAY be worse due to the impact on the marshes that naturally protect the coastline.

    And then the economic impact on the tourism industry. How many beaches may be closed and people won't vacation because of the oil? I live on the coast and I am dependant on tourism for my living. It would really effect me if it happened in North Carolina or Virginia. BP is not and can not reimburse everyone that will be impacted by this. It's been 20 years since the Exxon spill in Alaska and life is not back to normal there yet. (at least according to some accounts)

    We as a country can use these events to learn and change in positive ways. Drilling more off shore wells isn't the answer. I am hopeful that we can use this to ignite our desire into finding other sources of energy.

    Obama was a fool for opening up drilling off the coast of my home on the Virginia, North Carolina border. I'm glad that he at least temporarily has changed his mind. I think I read something this morning about the Governor of California not supporting off shore drilling any longer. This is the kind of change that we need. And hopefully, this disaster will help us find some new answers to this old problem.

    Accidents happen. Smart people learn from these accidents and try not to let them repeat themselves again and again.


    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Candleman, let me school you here on the very same simple logic you just used. Ok lets first take you analogy of millions fly out of the few that die in plane crashes. In comparison then hundreds of MILLIONS and MILLIONs of BARRELs of oil have been gotten for every barrel that has leaked into the oceans (caused by man).

    A plane that crashes kills people, A oil leak is an empacked that has rarely killed anyone so as far as any impact of an oil leak, it is all reversable and can and always is reimbursed for.

    As for you saying the two cant be compared to each other you are correct a plane crash is much worse. Unless you think someone dying is worse then some economic impact that will eventually will be reimburst.

    The fact is the economic empact is worse for all those you talked about along with the rest of us because 4, 5, and 6 dollar a gallon gas would have a far larger economic impact then what this leak has or will cause.


    There is a basic fact I am trying to get through to you about this leak. That basically compared to all the rest of the oil we get and the leaks that happen this leak is a DROP in the bucket. To be accurate and be on the same comparison then this leak is like a drop in a olympic pool.

    P.S. Did you know that they estimate that over the whole Gulf Coast 200,000 barrels of oil per year NATURALLY leak out of the sea floor and into the ocean. Once again when taken into consideration of the size of the Gulf it is considerd a DROP IN THE BUCKET.

  5. #5
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Candleman, What about all the people eating the tanted fish from the past few plane crashes in the water. What about all the people that work on those planes and all the bad air creating them causes. You see I can take it to a unrealistic level to.


    Ask yourself how much the tourism industry will suffer when gas is 6 dollars a gallon. Hummm lets see, I can see the future, BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAPPENED with 4 dollar a gallon gas. listen you twit, all the economist are saying that if oil now gets to 100 dollars a barrel then that would send this already fragle economy into another deep recesssion. We already saw what 4 dollar a gallon of gas cost the economy and tourism. Also for every person you say is still not compensated for that spill I can find five that have retired or are happy with the settlement or that say things have returned to normal. Have you seen the polls of what Alaskians think of drilling more for oil???? If not let me just say they are for it by a margin of almost 4 to 1.


    Have you seen the cost of those other sources of energy. Lets just put it this way if you were forced to pay for the cost of any energy without government subsidies you would be saying, "God dam lets get back to the old days of my electric bill being 1/20 of what they are now, FRICK that wind and solar power, I'm dying here.". Dont think so, why do you think even Obama said that, "Under my Cap N Trade program electric bills would necessary SKYROCKET." Candleman you remind me of those same CA. people that complained about any new power plants and stopped them at any and every turn and then when they had to deal with rolling brown (and black) outs and paying so much for power it was killing them they were the same ones to bitch and piss and moan about it (I say you dumbass twits you did it to yourselves). As for Arnold S. He is the same twit that was for Obamas health care reform,,,,,,,,,then he found out how much it would cost his bankrupt state then switched to being against it,,,,,,,,,,(hold on to your shorts because it is not over yet) then he said well it is now the law and I am for it now. Hummm I wonder how much the oil off the coast of CA. would get them out of the bankruptcy state they are in now. Candleman which would be worse, an oil spill like that in the gulf after they get hundreds of billions in revenue FROM THAT OIL, which would save them from bankruptcy. OR the state going bankrupt. How much do you think CA. going bankrupt would hurt the rest of the United States. Here let me help you out with some simple logic and comparison. Have you heard of Greece?? have you seen how an economy a fraction of the size of CA. has effected the markets and ecomonies around the world. Now try taking that 20 fold and you can get your mind around what would happen if CA. went bankrupt. That all could be stopped if they had went after thier oil off the coast more aggressively


    Your right accidents happen and they should learn from this, just like all ships now hauling oil have to have double halls lesson learned from EXXON ship spill.
    Last edited by john; 05-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.

  6. #6
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Great, it sounds like we agree John.

    Accidents happen and we'll learn and improve from this one.


    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Candleman, What about all the people eating the tanted fish from the past few plane crashes in the water. What about all the people that work on those planes and all the bad air creating them causes. You see I can take it to a unrealistic level to.


    Ask yourself how much the tourism industry will suffer when gas is 6 dollars a gallon. Hummm lets see, I can see the future, BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAPPENED with 4 dollar a gallon gas. listen you twit, all the economist are saying that if oil now gets to 100 dollars a barrel then that would send this already fragle economy into another deep recesssion. We already saw what 4 dollar a gallon of gas cost the economy and tourism. Also for every person you say is still not compensated for that spill I can find five that have retired or are happy with the settlement or that say things have returned to normal. Have you seen the polls of what Alaskians think of drilling more for oil???? If not let me just say they are for it by a margin of almost 4 to 1.


    Have you seen the cost of those other sources of energy. Lets just put it this way if you were forced to pay for the cost of any energy without government subsidies you would be saying, "God dam lets get back to the old days of my electric bill being 1/20 of what they are now, FRICK that wind and solar power, I'm dying here.". Dont think so, why do you think even Obama said that, "Under my Cap N Trade program electric bills would necessary SKYROCKET." Candleman you remind me of those same CA. people that complained about any new power plants and stopped them at any and every turn and then when they had to deal with rolling brown (and black) outs and paying so much for power it was killing them they were the same ones to bitch and piss and moan about it (I say you dumbass twits you did it to yourselves). As for Arnold S. He is the same twit that was for Obamas health care reform,,,,,,,,,then he found out how much it would cost his bankrupt state then switched to being against it,,,,,,,,,,(hold on to your shorts because it is not over yet) then he said well it is now the law and I am for it now. Hummm I wonder how much the oil off the coast of CA. would get them out of the bankruptcy state they are in now. Candleman which would be worse, an oil spill like that in the gulf after they get hundreds of billions in revenue FROM THAT OIL, which would save them from bankruptcy. OR the state going bankrupt. How much do you think CA. going bankrupt would hurt the rest of the United States. Here let me help you out with some simple logic and comparison. Have you heard of Greece?? have you seen how an economy a fraction of the size of CA. has effected the markets and ecomonies around the world. Now try taking that 20 fold and you can get your mind around what would happen if CA. went bankrupt. That all could be stopped if they had went after thier oil off the coast more aggressively


    Your right accidents happen and they should learn from this, just like all ships now hauling oil have to have double halls lesson learned from EXXON ship spill.

  7. #7
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    That is great we finally agree, just like we dont stop transporting oil in tankers just because you have an accident you also dont stop drilling for oil. You just make sure this kind of thing is even more difficult then before to ever happen again. Also if it does, then you get on it as soon as possible with everything you got to clean it up and dont wait for it to take care of itself. we should have had all hands on deck to include the governments of any countries that would be effected by it.

    You know I have a logical saying I think covers this: If a guy accidently starts a fire in a building, that person is responsible for that and will be held accountable but does that mean the local fire department should wait to see if he can put it out himself, or go balls to the walls and put it out themselves.

    Speaking of personal experience, I know the fire department does not care if there is even a spark left when they get there they will hit that spark with 20 gallons of water until there is no more smoke period.

  8. #8
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    I think you misunderstood what I meant by agreeing with you. You said accidents happen, and we should learn from that, and I agree with that.

    But, I don't agree with you and Palin on the idea that we should continue and expand our off shore drilling program.

    A better idea would be to implement stronger energy savings programs, so that we don't need to use so much oil.

    Another idea would be to do more drilling on dry land. Spills on dry land are MUCH easier to clean up and cause much less long term environmental damage.

    This is what I meant by learning from our mistakes. Only a fool continues to make the same mistake over and over again. A wise person would try and figure out ways to eliminate the possibility of another deep sea blowout again. Since the industry can't figure that out yet. A wise man would eliminate the problem by just not drilling anymore off shore wells.

    If that costs you more at the pump, then buy a more efficient vehicle. If your electric bill rises, then just use less electricity.



    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That is great we finally agree, just like we dont stop transporting oil in tankers just because you have an accident you also dont stop drilling for oil. You just make sure this kind of thing is even more difficult then before to ever happen again. Also if it does, then you get on it as soon as possible with everything you got to clean it up and dont wait for it to take care of itself. we should have had all hands on deck to include the governments of any countries that would be effected by it.

    You know I have a logical saying I think covers this: If a guy accidently starts a fire in a building, that person is responsible for that and will be held accountable but does that mean the local fire department should wait to see if he can put it out himself, or go balls to the walls and put it out themselves.

    Speaking of personal experience, I know the fire department does not care if there is even a spark left when they get there they will hit that spark with 20 gallons of water until there is no more smoke period.
    Last edited by candleman; 05-05-2010 at 08:24 AM.

  9. #9
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    I think you misunderstood what I meant by agreeing with you. You said accidents happen, and we should learn from that, and I agree with that.

    But, I don't agree with you and Palin on the idea that we should continue and expand our off shore drilling program.

    A better idea would be to implement stronger energy savings programs, so that we don't need to use so much oil.

    Another idea would be to do more drilling on dry land. Spills on dry land are MUCH easier to clean up and cause much less long term environmental damage.

    This is what I meant by learning from our mistakes. Only a fool continues to make the same mistake over and over again. A wise person would try and figure out ways to eliminate the possibility of another deep sea blowout again. Since the industry can't figure that out yet. A wise man would eliminate the problem by just not drilling anymore off shore wells.

    If that costs you more at the pump, then buy a more efficient vehicle. If your electric bill rises, then just use less electricity.


    candleman, Man you are a twit. First reason is now you have changed your whole post. Yes instead of it saying "edit" at the bottom of your last post it should have said; Opps I totally changed my old post and here is a totally new one. What happen?? should I start to qoute everyone of your post now for the record. You had your chance to disagree with my post and instead you talked about you being a fireman for 35 years and how they use even more water after the fire is out. So what happen???


    Dumbass, I got news for you there are even more tankers now then when the EXXON spill happen.


    Dumbass, Why do you think they are drilling in the ocean (WERE IT IS WAY MORE EXPENSIVE then on land)?


    Dumbass, they had polocies to deal with just such a thing when spills IN THE OCEAN happened but did not do them, ask your government why that was.


    Dumbass, I dont want the government telling/forcing me or anyone, what kind of toilet to use, what kind of lightbulb to use, what kind of car I can drive, how much salt I can have, what to set my thremostat at (yes all those things I just mentioned are ether controls (of you) by the government now or have been talked about it happening very soon). Read George Orwells "1984" it would be a good lessen for you, it is starting to look like he was not to far off. It is people like yourself that lets that kind of thing happen.



    Dumbass, Cuba is letting China, Russia, and Japan drill in the very same areas we are stopping our own country from drilling in. Dumbass the US just gave Brazil 2 or 3 BILLION to drill off shore. That is the kind of logic you get with liberial polocies and government control.


    It is exactly your type of stupidity that makes me worry about this country. Look you twit, they already got you saying the government controling us is no problem for you. If you dont think so just take another look at your post, I qouted it for you this time so it wont be so easy for you to just erase it.




    On a final note: If you are wondering why I am now using harsher words to discribe you. I call what you did being dishonest because if you would have let that original post stand and then put the one above up much later you knew you would look dishonest in your latest post. Just some advise here you only really have your integrety and if you lose that then you have lost before you even start to type. That gets you the same treatment Havasucker (opps or is it loyd) enjoys.

  10. #10
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Oh John, once again you remind me and all of the readers of Sirius Buzz why it is so hard to have a conversation with you.

    Someday, when you want to talk like an educated adult, we may be able to discuss topics or interest to this group. But, until then, we'll just continue to be entertained by your train of thought.


    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    candleman, Man you are a twit. First reason is now you have changed your whole post. Yes instead of it saying "edit" at the bottom of your last post it should have said; Opps I totally changed my old post and here is a totally new one. What happen?? should I start to qoute everyone of your post now for the record. You had your chance to disagree with my post and instead you talked about you being a fireman for 35 years and how they use even more water after the fire is out. So what happen???


    Dumbass, I got news for you there are even more tankers now then when the EXXON spill happen.


    Dumbass, Why do you think they are drilling in the ocean (WERE IT IS WAY MORE EXPENSIVE then on land)?


    Dumbass, they had polocies to deal with just such a thing when spills IN THE OCEAN happened but did not do them, ask your government why that was.


    Dumbass, I dont want the government telling/forcing me or anyone, what kind of toilet to use, what kind of lightbulb to use, what kind of car I can drive, how much salt I can have, what to set my thremostat at (yes all those things I just mentioned are ether controls (of you) by the government now or have been talked about it happening very soon). Read George Orwells "1984" it would be a good lessen for you, it is starting to look like he was not to far off. It is people like yourself that lets that kind of thing happen.



    Dumbass, Cuba is letting China, Russia, and Japan drill in the very same areas we are stopping our own country from drilling in. Dumbass the US just gave Brazil 2 or 3 BILLION to drill off shore. That is the kind of logic you get with liberial polocies and government control.


    It is exactly your type of stupidity that makes me worry about this country. Look you twit, they already got you saying the government controling us is no problem for you. If you dont think so just take another look at your post, I qouted it for you this time so it wont be so easy for you to just erase it.




    On a final note: If you are wondering why I am now using harsher words to discribe you. I call what you did being dishonest because if you would have let that original post stand and then put the one above up much later you knew you would look dishonest in your latest post. Just some advise here you only really have your integrety and if you lose that then you have lost before you even start to type. That gets you the same treatment Havasucker (opps or is it loyd) enjoys.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •