Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97

Thread: Oil leaks into the ocean!!!! stop all the drilling.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836

    Oil leaks into the ocean!!!! stop all the drilling.

    I guess the next plane that crashes also means we also should stop fling.

  2. #2
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I guess the next plane that crashes also means we also should stop fling.
    That just doesn't make any sense.

    If one plane crashes, maybe 2 or 3 hundred people die. That's 2 or 3 hundred out of hundreds of millions of people that fly regularly.

    But, when an off shore well blows out, it could have a devistating impact on millions of Americans. Fisherman, vacationers, property owners, shipping companies, consumers, all sorts of Americans will be effected by this disaster.

    The two just don't compare. This is the sort of logic that Sarah Drill Baby Drill Palin uses. That's exactly why she will never govern again. This is just stupid logic that makes no sense at all.

  3. #3
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Candleman, let me school you here on the very same simple logic you just used. Ok lets first take you analogy of millions fly out of the few that die in plane crashes. In comparison then hundreds of MILLIONS and MILLIONs of BARRELs of oil have been gotten for every barrel that has leaked into the oceans (caused by man).

    A plane that crashes kills people, A oil leak is an empacked that has rarely killed anyone so as far as any impact of an oil leak, it is all reversable and can and always is reimbursed for.

    As for you saying the two cant be compared to each other you are correct a plane crash is much worse. Unless you think someone dying is worse then some economic impact that will eventually will be reimburst.

    The fact is the economic empact is worse for all those you talked about along with the rest of us because 4, 5, and 6 dollar a gallon gas would have a far larger economic impact then what this leak has or will cause.


    There is a basic fact I am trying to get through to you about this leak. That basically compared to all the rest of the oil we get and the leaks that happen this leak is a DROP in the bucket. To be accurate and be on the same comparison then this leak is like a drop in a olympic pool.

    P.S. Did you know that they estimate that over the whole Gulf Coast 200,000 barrels of oil per year NATURALLY leak out of the sea floor and into the ocean. Once again when taken into consideration of the size of the Gulf it is considerd a DROP IN THE BUCKET.

  4. #4
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    John, I think that there will be no reasonable way to tell how many people may die from this oil. The toll may take decades to determine. People eating fish that are tainted. People breathing tainted air. People that may die in the next hurricane that MAY be worse due to the impact on the marshes that naturally protect the coastline.

    And then the economic impact on the tourism industry. How many beaches may be closed and people won't vacation because of the oil? I live on the coast and I am dependant on tourism for my living. It would really effect me if it happened in North Carolina or Virginia. BP is not and can not reimburse everyone that will be impacted by this. It's been 20 years since the Exxon spill in Alaska and life is not back to normal there yet. (at least according to some accounts)

    We as a country can use these events to learn and change in positive ways. Drilling more off shore wells isn't the answer. I am hopeful that we can use this to ignite our desire into finding other sources of energy.

    Obama was a fool for opening up drilling off the coast of my home on the Virginia, North Carolina border. I'm glad that he at least temporarily has changed his mind. I think I read something this morning about the Governor of California not supporting off shore drilling any longer. This is the kind of change that we need. And hopefully, this disaster will help us find some new answers to this old problem.

    Accidents happen. Smart people learn from these accidents and try not to let them repeat themselves again and again.


    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Candleman, let me school you here on the very same simple logic you just used. Ok lets first take you analogy of millions fly out of the few that die in plane crashes. In comparison then hundreds of MILLIONS and MILLIONs of BARRELs of oil have been gotten for every barrel that has leaked into the oceans (caused by man).

    A plane that crashes kills people, A oil leak is an empacked that has rarely killed anyone so as far as any impact of an oil leak, it is all reversable and can and always is reimbursed for.

    As for you saying the two cant be compared to each other you are correct a plane crash is much worse. Unless you think someone dying is worse then some economic impact that will eventually will be reimburst.

    The fact is the economic empact is worse for all those you talked about along with the rest of us because 4, 5, and 6 dollar a gallon gas would have a far larger economic impact then what this leak has or will cause.


    There is a basic fact I am trying to get through to you about this leak. That basically compared to all the rest of the oil we get and the leaks that happen this leak is a DROP in the bucket. To be accurate and be on the same comparison then this leak is like a drop in a olympic pool.

    P.S. Did you know that they estimate that over the whole Gulf Coast 200,000 barrels of oil per year NATURALLY leak out of the sea floor and into the ocean. Once again when taken into consideration of the size of the Gulf it is considerd a DROP IN THE BUCKET.

  5. #5
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Candleman, What about all the people eating the tanted fish from the past few plane crashes in the water. What about all the people that work on those planes and all the bad air creating them causes. You see I can take it to a unrealistic level to.


    Ask yourself how much the tourism industry will suffer when gas is 6 dollars a gallon. Hummm lets see, I can see the future, BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAPPENED with 4 dollar a gallon gas. listen you twit, all the economist are saying that if oil now gets to 100 dollars a barrel then that would send this already fragle economy into another deep recesssion. We already saw what 4 dollar a gallon of gas cost the economy and tourism. Also for every person you say is still not compensated for that spill I can find five that have retired or are happy with the settlement or that say things have returned to normal. Have you seen the polls of what Alaskians think of drilling more for oil???? If not let me just say they are for it by a margin of almost 4 to 1.


    Have you seen the cost of those other sources of energy. Lets just put it this way if you were forced to pay for the cost of any energy without government subsidies you would be saying, "God dam lets get back to the old days of my electric bill being 1/20 of what they are now, FRICK that wind and solar power, I'm dying here.". Dont think so, why do you think even Obama said that, "Under my Cap N Trade program electric bills would necessary SKYROCKET." Candleman you remind me of those same CA. people that complained about any new power plants and stopped them at any and every turn and then when they had to deal with rolling brown (and black) outs and paying so much for power it was killing them they were the same ones to bitch and piss and moan about it (I say you dumbass twits you did it to yourselves). As for Arnold S. He is the same twit that was for Obamas health care reform,,,,,,,,,then he found out how much it would cost his bankrupt state then switched to being against it,,,,,,,,,,(hold on to your shorts because it is not over yet) then he said well it is now the law and I am for it now. Hummm I wonder how much the oil off the coast of CA. would get them out of the bankruptcy state they are in now. Candleman which would be worse, an oil spill like that in the gulf after they get hundreds of billions in revenue FROM THAT OIL, which would save them from bankruptcy. OR the state going bankrupt. How much do you think CA. going bankrupt would hurt the rest of the United States. Here let me help you out with some simple logic and comparison. Have you heard of Greece?? have you seen how an economy a fraction of the size of CA. has effected the markets and ecomonies around the world. Now try taking that 20 fold and you can get your mind around what would happen if CA. went bankrupt. That all could be stopped if they had went after thier oil off the coast more aggressively


    Your right accidents happen and they should learn from this, just like all ships now hauling oil have to have double halls lesson learned from EXXON ship spill.
    Last edited by john; 05-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.

  6. #6
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Great, it sounds like we agree John.

    Accidents happen and we'll learn and improve from this one.


    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Candleman, What about all the people eating the tanted fish from the past few plane crashes in the water. What about all the people that work on those planes and all the bad air creating them causes. You see I can take it to a unrealistic level to.


    Ask yourself how much the tourism industry will suffer when gas is 6 dollars a gallon. Hummm lets see, I can see the future, BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAPPENED with 4 dollar a gallon gas. listen you twit, all the economist are saying that if oil now gets to 100 dollars a barrel then that would send this already fragle economy into another deep recesssion. We already saw what 4 dollar a gallon of gas cost the economy and tourism. Also for every person you say is still not compensated for that spill I can find five that have retired or are happy with the settlement or that say things have returned to normal. Have you seen the polls of what Alaskians think of drilling more for oil???? If not let me just say they are for it by a margin of almost 4 to 1.


    Have you seen the cost of those other sources of energy. Lets just put it this way if you were forced to pay for the cost of any energy without government subsidies you would be saying, "God dam lets get back to the old days of my electric bill being 1/20 of what they are now, FRICK that wind and solar power, I'm dying here.". Dont think so, why do you think even Obama said that, "Under my Cap N Trade program electric bills would necessary SKYROCKET." Candleman you remind me of those same CA. people that complained about any new power plants and stopped them at any and every turn and then when they had to deal with rolling brown (and black) outs and paying so much for power it was killing them they were the same ones to bitch and piss and moan about it (I say you dumbass twits you did it to yourselves). As for Arnold S. He is the same twit that was for Obamas health care reform,,,,,,,,,then he found out how much it would cost his bankrupt state then switched to being against it,,,,,,,,,,(hold on to your shorts because it is not over yet) then he said well it is now the law and I am for it now. Hummm I wonder how much the oil off the coast of CA. would get them out of the bankruptcy state they are in now. Candleman which would be worse, an oil spill like that in the gulf after they get hundreds of billions in revenue FROM THAT OIL, which would save them from bankruptcy. OR the state going bankrupt. How much do you think CA. going bankrupt would hurt the rest of the United States. Here let me help you out with some simple logic and comparison. Have you heard of Greece?? have you seen how an economy a fraction of the size of CA. has effected the markets and ecomonies around the world. Now try taking that 20 fold and you can get your mind around what would happen if CA. went bankrupt. That all could be stopped if they had went after thier oil off the coast more aggressively


    Your right accidents happen and they should learn from this, just like all ships now hauling oil have to have double halls lesson learned from EXXON ship spill.

  7. #7
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I guess the next plane that crashes also means we also should stop fling.
    After weeks and weeks of the oil flow. And hundreds of millions of dollars, perhaps billions of dollars of damage that continue to be done to our environment. I still totally agree that ALL off shore drilling should be halted and no more off shore wells should be started.

    Obviously, we don't have the ability to make sure that this kind of accident can't happen again. And it's become increasingly obvious that Big Oil Companies have not been regulated enough.

    We cannot take the chance on destroying more of our enviroment. It's time that we use this accident to push for even more stringent fuel standards and much higher efficeincy in our homes, offices, and businesses.

  8. #8
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    After weeks and weeks of the oil flow. And hundreds of millions of dollars, perhaps billions of dollars of damage that continue to be done to our environment. I still totally agree that ALL off shore drilling should be halted and no more off shore wells should be started.

    Obviously, we don't have the ability to make sure that this kind of accident can't happen again. And it's become increasingly obvious that Big Oil Companies have not been regulated enough.

    We cannot take the chance on destroying more of our enviroment. It's time that we use this accident to push for even more stringent fuel standards and much higher efficeincy in our homes, offices, and businesses.

    I find it particularly interesting that you dont blame the environmentalist for this AT ALL. I first of all could think of a few reasons. It is their fault they are drilling that far out for oil in the first place. Yes thats right the environmentalist wont let them do it closer were this kind of leak would have been fixed long ago (it is because of how deep the well is that makes it so difficult to stop).

    I also find it interesting that you dont have a clue as to how much oil the world gets from off shore drilling. You must not or you think 10 to 12 dollar a gallon gas is fine by you. Thank god 60% (even after this leak) of the people think that is ridiclous when there is a cheaper way.

    I also find it funny how you give Obama a pass on getting it cleaned up. Look at the time it took for even the first part of the leak to make shore that could have been prevented easy enough if the government would have taken an oil leak even remotely serious even remotely close to a few days or even a week of when it happen.

  9. #9
    candleman is offline
    Mentor
    candleman's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    John, there you go making assumptions again.

    I didn't give anyone a pass on anything. I think Obama is a fool for ever considering opening up areas off Virginia for off shore drilling.

    You really need to get control of your emotions and quit saying things that aren't true.



    If I have to pay 10 bucks a gallon for fuel and in return know that our shores and marshes will not polluted by oil like Alaska and Louisiana have had to deal with. I think that would be a fair trade off.
    But, once again you have no facts to support your theory on how that would happen.
    If we stop off shore drilling and do more on land drilling. And then institute much higher fuel economy standards. And stop drinking water from plastic bottles, and develop alternative energy ideas, and so on, we can stop drilling off shore, and probably not have to double the price of energy.

    This is not a new idea John. Here on the East Coast, we've been opposed to drilling for years.

    I think Obama would seal his coffin as far as ever being re-elected if he ever considers opening up the East Coast for drilling again. Sarah drill baby drill Palin sealed her fate along time ago by supporting off shore drilling.


    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I find it particularly interesting that you dont blame the environmentalist for this AT ALL. I first of all could think of a few reasons. It is their fault they are drilling that far out for oil in the first place. Yes thats right the environmentalist wont let them do it closer were this kind of leak would have been fixed long ago (it is because of how deep the well is that makes it so difficult to stop).

    I also find it interesting that you dont have a clue as to how much oil the world gets from off shore drilling. You must not or you think 10 to 12 dollar a gallon gas is fine by you. Thank god 60% (even after this leak) of the people think that is ridiclous when there is a cheaper way.

    I also find it funny how you give Obama a pass on getting it cleaned up. Look at the time it took for even the first part of the leak to make shore that could have been prevented easy enough if the government would have taken an oil leak even remotely serious even remotely close to a few days or even a week of when it happen.

  10. #10
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    John, there you go making assumptions again.

    I didn't give anyone a pass on anything. I think Obama is a fool for ever considering opening up areas off Virginia for off shore drilling.

    You really need to get control of your emotions and quit saying things that aren't true.



    If I have to pay 10 bucks a gallon for fuel and in return know that our shores and marshes will not polluted by oil like Alaska and Louisiana have had to deal with. I think that would be a fair trade off.
    But, once again you have no facts to support your theory on how that would happen.
    If we stop off shore drilling and do more on land drilling. And then institute much higher fuel economy standards. And stop drinking water from plastic bottles, and develop alternative energy ideas, and so on, we can stop drilling off shore, and probably not have to double the price of energy.

    This is not a new idea John. Here on the East Coast, we've been opposed to drilling for years.

    I think Obama would seal his coffin as far as ever being re-elected if he ever considers opening up the East Coast for drilling again. Sarah drill baby drill Palin sealed her fate along time ago by supporting off shore drilling.


    Yes you did when you failed to mention them in your list of things to blame that is giving them a pass and not to mention it is not the fact that Obama said he would LOOK INTO MORE off shore drilling but that he failed to get with the cleanup ASAP.

    I have my emotions in check otherwise you would see me doing what you did.

    Yea you say that now because you have not had to deal with the ramifications of 10 dollar a gallon gas yet. Hummm we know that 60% of the people AGREE that there should STILL be off shore drilling even after this leak. Now I wonder how much higher that would go if we got the price upto 4 dollars, opps we dont have to wonder because the polls have been done when it was.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_568434.html

    "Newsweek: Offshore Drilling Gaining Acceptance
    newsweek.com — Offshore oil drilling is at the center of an intensifying national debate over how the government should address the current energy crisis. Presumptive nominees Barack Obama and John McCain remain divided on the issue—Obama's against more drilling, McCain's for it. With gas now at $4 per gallon, public opinion is shifting in favor of more drilling."

    Now lets just think about that for a second and then ask yourself how much higher to you think public opinion would change with a increase of 250% on that 4 dollars a gallon price.

    You see candleman you are as ridiculious as those people in CA. that said, Ho no way are we building anymore power plants we will do it with wind and solar. That worked out great for them to didn't it until they had to deal with the ramifications of those polocies (like rolling blackouts and very high electric bills). Then they start to say, WHY WHY WHY ARE WE DEALING WITH THESE PROBLEMS. You candleman have learned nothing from that or the Greeks, You see what happens when the ramifications of their polocies come home and they have to deal with them.

    Like I said, the polls show that most believe even still that we should drill off shore. You also dont have a clue as to what they (the states) used to get and what they would get under Obama and the democrats off shore plan. The states used to get most of the royalties and under Obama there is little that gos to them compared to the feds.

    There is a simple fact here and that is that accidents happen and if the federal goverment would have had all hands on deck even for this spill with as long as it has taken to even hit shore now they could have prevented it from coming even close.

    So as the title of the thread says according to you, because accidents happen then we should all be riding bikes to work and there should be no planes at all. After all many more people have died and many more lives are effected MUCH worse by those things then even this oil leak.

    I guess if you had it your way we would all be living in caves still.

    P.S. If you have noticed there was not to much said about the oil leak until it started to hit the sand bars if that would have been prevented then this leak would have been an nonissue. It is the clean up and how long it has taken that is the problem, a problem that could have been taken care of if the government would have gotten on it ASAP like they should have instead of dithering for a month.
    Last edited by john; 05-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •