Page 2 of 2 12
    Guru
    04-29-2010, 03:10 PM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Perhaps we could lower speed limits back down to 55mph again. That would save more oil then we are going to gain off the coast of Virgina.
    Yuck.

Solar baby. That enriches me as I sell the plastic (bad plastic!) used for electrical enclosures and connectors.

The real problem with wind and solar is that the payback period is near infinity. Yes, Obama will cut you a break the first year, but it still takes forever to payoff. The encouraging thing in solar is that they are learning more and more how to maximize the output of the panel / array, but it's still a long way off.

Natural gas!! Cheap natural gas is causing me problems. When you make ethylene with ethane, little propylene is generated; hence polypropylene prices go up.

04-29-2010, 03:29 PM #12
    "Natural gas!! Cheap natural gas is causing me problems."

Then change your diet.

Guru
    04-29-2010, 03:38 PM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    "Natural gas!! Cheap natural gas is causing me problems."

Then change your diet.
    We may be on to something. I once saw statistics on how much methane cows, horses and pigs make............. Aw forget it. This will have to wait until civilization erodes and we kill each other for gasoline.

Legend
    04-29-2010, 11:14 PM #14
    Well according to this article Obama may be already rethinking his offshore drilling plan. Goiing to be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_557125.html

Solar hot water pays back in about 7 years depending on where you live.
    Photovoltaics obviously take longer but nowhere near "infinity". As electric prices
    rise they will become a better solution particularly over the long term.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    04-30-2010, 09:14 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Well according to this article Obama may be already rethinking his offshore drilling plan. Goiing to be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_557125.html

Solar hot water pays back in about 7 years depending on where you live.
    Photovoltaics obviously take longer but nowhere near "infinity". As electric prices
    rise they will become a better solution particularly over the long term.
    One of things that makes a man a man or a woman a woman (not to be sexist), is the abilitly to admit your mistakes.
    We all know that the Former President Bush could not recognize that he had made mistakes during his terms in office.
    If President Obama realizes that his offer to open off shore drilling off the coast of Virginia was a mistake. And then he changes his mind and stops the drilling from ever happening. That would be a tremendous thing for him to do. Leaders do make mistakes! Good leaders apologize and then don't continue to make the mistake.

Legend
    04-30-2010, 10:35 AM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    One of things that makes a man a man or a woman a woman (not to be sexist), is the abilitly to admit your mistakes.
    We all know that the Former President Bush could not recognize that he had made mistakes during his terms in office.
    If President Obama realizes that his offer to open off shore drilling off the coast of Virginia was a mistake. And then he changes his mind and stops the drilling from ever happening. That would be a tremendous thing for him to do. Leaders do make mistakes! Good leaders apologize and then don't continue to make the mistake.
    I think your prayers might be answered. lets hope so. Lets also hope that those supporting off shore drilling will still support a serious energy bill even if its (drilling) restricted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_558313.html

P.S.Here is a quote that points out what i was talking about earlier.

"Expanded offshore exploration was Senator Lindsay Graham's price for cosponsoriing climate legislation."
    Last edited by Havakasha; 04-30-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    04-30-2010, 10:52 AM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I think your prayers might be answered. lets hope so. Lets also hope that those supporting off shore drilling will still support a serious energy bill even if its (drilling) restricted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_558313.html

P.S.Here is a quote that points out what i was talking about earlier.

"Expanded offshore exploration was Senator Lindsay Graham's price for cosponsoriing climate legislation."
    That's a start. But, they say not until we figure out what happened. I would rather have them say that we're not going to take the risk any longer and just ban the practice completely.

Any new energy bill that doesn't include strict and mandatory energy conservation will be a serious waste of time.

Page 2 of 2 12