Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    04-26-2010, 06:48 PM #1

1800 Sq. Mile (and growing) Oil Spill in Gulf of Mexico

Always good to remember that offshore oil development is not without it dangers to our environment and economy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_552491.html

04-26-2010, 08:47 PM #2
    Not if you're braindead.

Drill baby drill, the assholes said.

Legend
    04-26-2010, 09:47 PM #3
    When you can describe complex problems in such simple terms (drill,baby,drill) you have done the pubic a great diservice.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    04-28-2010, 07:05 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    Not if you're braindead.

Drill baby drill, the assholes said.
    And President Obama is planning to allow drilling just off the coast of Virginia now. He should be ashamed of himself!

04-28-2010, 08:21 PM #5
    He is, as I've said, a corporate shill.
    Last edited by Atypical; 04-28-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Legend
    04-28-2010, 10:31 PM #6
    Or maybe he knows he cant get an energy bill passed without compromising on oil development and nuclear power. i wish there was no offshore oil development at all but know its not realistic.
    One can only hope that oil companies find it too expensive to do much development in the years ahead and in the meantime alternative energy projects (like the wind project in Mass.) gain momentum and become an increasingly larger part of our energy picture.

Unfortunately oil (and coal) are going to continue to be a big of the energy fuel we use for many years to come.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 04-28-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Mentor
    04-29-2010, 07:51 AM #7
    As of this Thursday morning the Coast Gaurd is reporting that 5000 barrels of oil a day are leaking from this well site. That is five times more than they thought was leaking yesterday.

As a country, we should be conserving fuel, and using less plastics, along with doing anything else that we can to decrease our use of oil.

Drilling off shore is NOT the answer.

President Obama the "Yes We Can" guy, should put a stop to ANY new drilling in our off shore waters right now!

Only a few weeks ago he approved drilling off the coast of Virginia. A leak like this could devistate our coastline from the Baltimore area to the shores of North Carolina.

Obama's new slogan should be NO MORE DRILLING, but instead this psuedo Republican is now yelling DRILL BABY DRILL. It's just a shame that he has slapped his supporters in the face like this.

Legend
    04-29-2010, 02:00 PM #8
    You sound a little hyperbolic Candleman lately.
    I have been opposed to offshore drilling for my entire life because of the danger of spills like the one we now have in the gulf of Mexico. Its absolutely horrible and i hope that it will lead to off shore drilling becoming less and less likely.
    I think though it simply as i said before that he thought he could only get an energy bill through Congress by doing some offshore drilling. I think if he could have gotten a bill without offshore drilling he would have done it in a second.
    Im not justifying it but it is clearly an example of what compromises one has to make when in power. The question is what compromises if any you HAVE to make and what is the larger good. Are the other (besides drilling) contents of the bill so essential in moving us toward a diversified alternative energy policy that it is vital that we compromise in some areas or is it better to stand on principle about drilling offshore and not move forward on the rest of the bill.
    I dont believe it is as easy as you seem to make it out to be.

Mentor
    04-29-2010, 02:17 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    You sound a little hyperbolic Candleman lately.
    I have been opposed to offshore drilling for my entire life because of the danger of spills like the one we now have in the gulf of Mexico. Its absolutely horrible and i hope that it will lead to off shore drilling becoming less and less likely.
    I think though it simply as i said before that he thought he could only get an energy bill through Congress by doing some offshore drilling. I think if he could have gotten a bill without offshore drilling he would have done it in a second.
    Im not justifying it but it is clearly an example of what compromises one has to make when in power. The question is what compromises if any you HAVE to make and what is the larger good. Are the other (besides drilling) contents of the bill so essential in moving us toward a diversified alternative energy policy that it is vital that we compromise in some areas or is it better to stand on principle about drilling offshore and not move forward on the rest of the bill.
    I dont believe it is as easy as you seem to make it out to be.
    An Energy Bill that supports nuclear power without KNOWING what to do with the waste that can poisin us for thousands of years to come is no good Lloyd.

An Energy Bill that will allow more off shore drilling is no good either.

Compromise is an important element of our Democracy....that I can agree with. But, compromising safety is not something I think we should be doing.

Perhaps doing some of the things that President Carter did would be a much better idea. Perhaps we could lower speed limits back down to 55mph again. That would save more oil then we are going to gain off the coast of Virgina.
    Perhaps imposing very high taxes on gas guzzling vehicles would help reduce our use of gasoline. It is working with smoking, the higher the tax the less young people smoke.

I don't know for sure what the answers would be.

But, I do know that Drill Baby Drill is not the answer.

04-29-2010, 02:33 PM #10
    HMMM.

I wonder how many of those that could be affected by this spill, especially the ones in the fisheries business, were for "drill, baby drill?

Page 1 of 2 12