Page 3 of 8 12345 ...
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    04-28-2010, 10:01 AM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Hey Candleman,
    Read this for another point of view about what Obama has or hasnt accomplished. Curious to know what you think. i do agree with some of what you say.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...984460,00.html

n
    A relatively good article, but boy oh boy, you can tell it's written by an Obama lover.
    First off, they were correct in his choices for VP and Cheif of Staff. Two great choices in my opinion. By choosing Biden, and McCain choosing Palin, he guaranteed himself the Presidency.
    The other issues are murky at best. Like I said, time will tell. He may prove to be a great success. Not in my book perhaps, but in the overall picture.
    Having such a large defecit and not raising taxes worries me to no end. Taxes are not evil. If you spend the money, you have to raise the money. Republican Presidents never understood that. It seems that Obama doesn't get it either.
    Thanks for the article.

Mentor
    04-28-2010, 10:09 AM #22
    Yeah, if it wasn't for Sam's Club buying all these candles from me, I'd probably have more time to relax in Europe!

As for the Far Left. I think there is a far left wing of the Democratic Party. I think they are the folks that want to supply free everything to everyone who can't afford stuff. Like healthcare, childcare, school breakfasts, and other things that encourage people to not work as hard as they are capable of. The far left also thinks that everyone on earth has a right to be here. I don't think they do! Illegal imigration is a huge problem. If you are illegal, you should be arrested and sent back to your home country plain and simple. There are too many legal immagrants like my son in law from Ecuador who really worked hard to come here legally and stay here legally. He gets really pissed when he thinks about all the illegals that are here. I'm not saying close the borders, just let's have some control over things. The Far Left doesn't see it that way and they don't support that sort of reform.

I think that in time, more people will chime in on this thread if it isn't percieved as one sided. And if we avoid name calling. Opinions are great to have, and sharing opinions like this is a wonderful excercise in Democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    Good morning Moneybags...I mean Chuck.

Thanks for your candid response but you left out the part about being one of Walmart's biggest suppliers and the property in Europe.

I agree, like Havakasha, with some of what you say.

There must be public financing of elections - spend your money somewhere else. Hey wait, I have an idea...I'll post it soon.

As for this thread; the title "Impeach...has drawn 150 views because of an inflammatory title. Maybe good, maybe dumb. We'll see.

What has to happen is that the lurkers engage which hasn't happened before.

While we wait go buy some more stock.

04-28-2010, 10:31 AM #23
    Healthcare is not a "left" issue. It's a human right. Think of the social cost connected to our current healthcare situation. The developed world has. That's why we are the only ones not to have a system that removes profit from the process. The healthcare legislation was an industry reorganization not real reform. Single payer is the only real reform and Obama, being the good corporate shill he is, wouldn't fight for it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the illegal situation in toto. But at least know that when these people work, using a ss card (legit or not) they lose the money deducted. The govt get's it por nada.

Legend
    04-28-2010, 10:34 AM #24
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    A relatively good article, but boy oh boy, you can tell it's written by an Obama lover.
    First off, they were correct in his choices for VP and Cheif of Staff. Two great choices in my opinion. By choosing Biden, and McCain choosing Palin, he guaranteed himself the Presidency.
    The other issues are murky at best. Like I said, time will tell. He may prove to be a great success. Not in my book perhaps, but in the overall picture.
    Having such a large defecit and not raising taxes worries me to no end. Taxes are not evil. If you spend the money, you have to raise the money. Republican Presidents never understood that. It seems that Obama doesn't get it either.
    Thanks for the article.
    Actually he is not a regular Obama lover. if you followed Mark Halperin you will know that he has been quite critical of him at many junctures.
    Follow the the deficit commission because i think they will proposing cuts in programs as well as tax raises. Im not sure where you get the idea that "Obama doesnt get it". Some people claim he hasnt done enough and yet others criticize him for trying to do too much. Which is it?
    The Bush tax cut for the top 1% is going to be allowed to expire next year (according to Republicans that is a tax raise. i happen to disagree), but in effect there will be more money in the govt coiffures.

The immigration law is opposed by plenty of people who arent on the left wing. How about Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and even Tom Tancredo (yep thats right the guy who wants to send Obama back to Kenya) said it went to far. So you are being rather simplistic in your analysis of the Arizona bill. No one says illegal immigrants shouldnt be allowed to be here but there are many more fair and legal ways to try to resolve the illegal immigration issue.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 04-28-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Legend
    04-28-2010, 10:41 AM #25
    I am surprised at you Candleman.
    So you are not for single payer or even a public option?
    You call out the left for wanting a health care system that the whole world recognizes as a basic right.
    Whose values are screwed up?

04-28-2010, 10:46 AM #26
    The commission to review ways to lower the deficit is loaded with those that want to erase social programs - a chronic conservative effort. Obama has put a dangerous process into motion. These people never want to raise taxes because the wealthy are their constituents - and they are them also.

Does the name Pete Peterson ring a bell with anyone?

Mentor
    04-28-2010, 10:57 AM #27
    Lloyd,
    I keep reading my post about immigration and I don't see anywhere that I talked about a state law in Arizona. The people of Arizona will fight that law if they so choose.
    We have a National problem with immigration. If you are illegal, you still get government benefits, that's just wrong. If you are illegal, you belong in jail, it's just that simple.
    I don't care too much about Arizona, I don't live there. I care about America, my home.
    Illegals don't pay too many national taxes because employers generally pay illegals under the table. At least that's how it's done around here.

When I say Obama doesn't get it on taxes, this is what I mean. If we are running a deficit, we need to raise taxes to cover that deficit and eliminate it. Obama ran on a pledge to not raise my taxes. That's just plain stupid. He may as well be a Republican. They like to cut taxes and not pay down the deficit. He just doesn't get it!
    The tax cut for the top 1% is only part of the problem. Bush cut taxes for everybody. Do you see where that got us. Aren't we just emerging from the worst recession in decades? Tax cuts that cause deficit spending are bad, it doesn't matter who benefits from a tax cut. It it causes the government to borrow money, it's a bad idea.
    Obama also cut taxes. That's why I say he just doesn't get it. 100% of all American adults should pay Federal taxes. Not just 53% of us.
    The Democrat party was a party of working class stiffs like me at one time. Now, it's not so much that way anymore. The left side of the party has changed the basic philosophy. It used to be that you got what you worked for. Now, you get what you need. That's a big difference.

Actually he is not a regular Obama lover. if you followed Mark Halperin you will know that he has been quite critical of him at many junctures.
    Follow the the deficit commission because i think they will proposing cuts in programs as well as tax raises. Im not sure where you get the idea that "Obama doesnt get it". Some people claim he hasnt done enough and yet others criticize him for trying to do too much. Which is it?
    The Bush tax cut for the top 1% is going to be allowed to expire next year (according to Republicans that is a tax raise. i happen to disagree), but in effect there will be more money in the govt coiffures.

The immigration law is opposed by plenty of people who arent on the left wing. How about Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and even Tom Tancredo (yep thats right the guy who wants to send Obama back to Kenya) said it went to far. So you are being rather simplistic in your analysis of the Arizona bill. No one says illegal immigrants shouldnt be allowed to be here but there are many more fair and legal ways to try to resolve the illegal immigration issue.

Mentor
    04-28-2010, 11:06 AM #28
    I am surprised at you Candleman.
    So you are not for single payer or even a public option?
    You call out the left for wanting a health care system that the whole world recognizes as a basic right.
    Whose values are screwed up?
    Lloyd, did we get single payer? NO! Did I say I didn't support single payer? No!

I support the idea of each of us paying our own way. You work hard, you get ahead, you pay taxes for the services that you recieve from our government. That's not radical. That's the way to make it work properly. It will never work well, if I have to go to work 6 days a week to pay for some poor shmucks healthcare. And then that shmuck sits at home and plays video games on the flat screen while smoking Marlboro's and eating chips. It just won't work. Or at least this simple minded guy doesn't see how it can work well that way.

We didn't get health care reform. I don't know and I am not smart enough to know how to fix it. But, I do know that we didn't get it fixed for me. My Blue Cross bill will rise another 5 or 10% this year like it always does.

President Obama seems to be walking down the middle of the road on these major issues. I can't fault him for that. He has to do that if we wants to get elected again. But, it's just not the kind of CHANGE that I thought he was going to bring to us.

Mentor
    04-28-2010, 11:13 AM #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    The commission to review ways to lower the deficit is loaded with those that want to erase social programs - a chronic conservative effort. Obama has put a dangerous process into motion. These people never want to raise taxes because the wealthy are their constituents - and they are them also.

Does the name Pete Peterson ring a bell with anyone?
    If we don't want to erase social programs. We have no choice but to raise taxes. It's very simple.
    I don't know very many wealthy people, but most of the working class folks that I know don't want taxes raised. You can't just blame this on rich Republicans. For some reason, people just don't want to pay for the services that they want the government to offer. It's not Democrat or Republican, it just greed.

I say raise my taxes 5%, cut 15% of social program budgets and the problem is fixed. Well, end this stupid idea of getting into unwinnable wars and that would help too!

04-28-2010, 11:34 AM #30
    "I support the idea of each of us paying our own way. You work hard, you get ahead, you pay taxes for the services that you recieve from our government. That's not radical. That's the way to make it work properly. It will never work well, if I have to go to work 6 days a week to pay for some poor shmucks healthcare. And then that shmuck sits at home and plays video games on the flat screen while smoking Marlboro's and eating chips. It just won't work. Or at least this simple minded guy doesn't see how it can work well that way."

There will always be those that have no personal responsibility, who milk the system. But you don't make policy with them in mind except to create rules and enforcement to prevent those numbers from being large.

Your comment above rules out those problems that occur to all of us unplanned and to good people who ran out of luck.

You don't want to pay for someone that has lost a job without cause; someone that has cancer and no insurance; an old person who lives alone and can't get to the doctor or who can't pay for one; someone that was hurt by a hit and run who hasn't insurance; someone that has insurance but has been ruled "out of coverage support".

Are those the ones that you don't care about?

You're right about greed. People want others to forego benefits but not them. That has occured because of relentless propaganda over the last 35 years blaming everything on "those people".

The Pentagon and military budget waste ALONE could provde whatever is needed for social support. But we don't care about helping people; we care about being "strong and kicking ass". Wars were started on LIES and no one cares. But we always care about someone milking the system for a few dollars.

What a stupid system!

Page 3 of 8 12345 ...