Page 4 of 10 ... 23456 ...
    01-29-2010, 10:53 AM #31
    Agreed, but what did I lose on 2500 shares, not much. Especially when I used the Realized Profits to purchase more of my short positions...which went up a higher % than siri. Your also committing the Monday morning qb mistake...everyone sees the linebacker dropping in coverage on ESPN on Monday. The ? you have to ask yourself is if this move was so obvious did you commit new money or is buy and hold good enough going forward. I am truly excited about everyones gains, Mel included. This was the spike that makes the story at least interesting on the dollar march. If Mel gets an extension on the delisting(6 months), the reverse split that has been authorized runs out I think. This would be huge for the company going forward, hence another proxy vote would have to be taken to authorize another split. This could save the shares holders, old and new. If the split happens, bad things man, bad things. Good luck today and don't be afraid of the sell button...someone on here said it best the stock is 16 cents from a dollar but its also 16c from .68, lol.

Big Ben

01-29-2010, 11:01 AM #32
    First half hour is a head fake, the markets are going to tank today. My shorts are pushing back pretty strong, should be an interesting close. Good Luck

Took a position in SIRI 2500 @ .87....thank god I got some before the rocket ship takes off...you don't want to miss that! LOL.

Big Ben

Guru
    01-29-2010, 11:05 AM #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    Man - I hope that guy is day trading or swing trading FAZ like you are supposed too. Like I said before most people don't understand leverged ETFs and how their values are derived from options, swaps, futures, etc. With options decay, it kills you going when the market goes sideways. Example, FAZ supposedly is 3X on a daily basis in the opposite direction of RIFIN. However, when the vix is low, you get less oomph up in FAZ when RIFIN goes down or sideways, then when volatility is high. This makes it lose correlation to the underlying over time.

So...
    Looking at the last sideways movement of RIFIN using a weekly chart, the open from the beginning of Sept was 768.03, today it is at 759.83 for a loss of -1.07%.

Now, if you wanted to be short financials, and wanted 3X, you could actually short IYF, but just do 3 times the amount. During this period, the change was minute, so your gain would be 0.58% times 3 or 1.74% if you shorted 3X the amount of money (it's a little off since IYF isn't truly RIFIN).

FAZ on the other hand, while trying to replicate 3X daily over a long period of time becomes uncorrelated to that ratio over time... thus, during that same period it opened at 23.50, and closed at 19.51 today... so did FAZ gain 3X and print a 3.21% gain (1.07% times 3)? Nope, it lost actually, while RIFIN is down -1.07%, during that same period and FAZ is not only not up 3.21%, but actually down -16.98%.

Now with a rapid decline in price in RIFIN and a rise in volatility, you can make that up, but not on a slow decline in price.

So, if you guys are planning on going short, go short for real, don't use FAZ and the like to do it, unless you know the risks and read volatility, or do the alternative, day or swing trade them. In which case, you can do likewise with FAS or going short FAZ depending on the direction of the day or swing.

I know I posted this crap before, just don't want anyone thinking these leverged ETF's are for holding for 2 weeks or more. You'll lose the price correlation to the underlying, and then it's just luck whether you are right or not, unless you can get a feel for volatility as well and how it correlates to the underlying, but when plotted, there isn't an easily recognizable correlation. If you think the market is turning down, and want to dollar cost average going short, just go short on a regular ETF. As you can see, if you went short IYF back in Sept waiting for a downturn, you'd be up today, but not down like FAZ.
    Dr. Dave - what about SPXU? I've made a little money on that short ETF.

01-29-2010, 11:11 AM #34
    If anyone is looking for a short term swing trade, FAZ is finding resistance at just above 19$ and it could easily trade as high as 20$ by days end. IMVHO.

Good Luck
    Big Ben

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    01-29-2010, 11:24 AM #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    First half hour is a head fake, the markets are going to tank today. My shorts are pushing back pretty strong, should be an interesting close. Good Luck

Took a position in SIRI 2500 @ .87....thank god I got some before the rocket ship takes off...you don't want to miss that! LOL.

Big Ben
    Ben, that's going to be a tough nut to hold onto for awhile. I'm feeling like we've run up over 30% this month and it's time for some profit taking. Just my gut feeling, but I think .87 may have been a sell point, not a buy point.

Head Honcho
    01-29-2010, 12:11 PM #36
    What is this run up all about?

Was the stock beaten down and undervalued? If so, why the turnaround now?

Is this the typical run up before earnings?

Or, is something big coming that we are all not privy to?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    01-29-2010, 01:51 PM #37
    If anyone is looking for a short term swing trade, FAZ is finding resistance at just above 19$ and it could easily trade as high as 20$ by days end. IMVHO.

Good Luck
    Big Ben
    I am another FAZ trader. Mostly I do just the daily swing trades. But when it bounces off the bollinger bands on a daily I get in and ride it. So this last time I have been holding since the 14th. Should have got out a few days ago when it rubbed the top but Hey I am in a free trade so with the market doing what it is doing I am hanging in there as long as it stays above the 8 ema. So Dr. Dave, while your advice is very good advice for faz, It isnt the only way to make money in it either.

As far as getting in now if you do just keep tight stops.

As far as SIRI I am still long with an .11c average. Feb 17th frees me up a little cause of Capital gains but I will still hold for 1.26-1.45 that I think we will make by next year.( I should note that I also had shares that were much higher but already sold those and another batch from .05 that brought me into a free trade)
    Last edited by airman; 01-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Guru
    01-29-2010, 01:54 PM #38
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post

I don't know, but there was plenty of good news coming out. S&P upgraded SIRI and two more firms initiated coverage and I know one put a "buy" rating it. Volume is crazy high.

You do bring up a good point in that traditionally there has been a run up before the earnings report (or unearnings report), but this time around, they announced some basic results in advance.

All I can say is that it's all good.

Legend
    01-29-2010, 02:07 PM #39
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post

Pre-announcement of over 250,000 4th quarter new subscriptions which beat estimates by a lot. I believe 2 new firms initiated coverage of the stock with $1.00 target. Howard Stern seeming to say he wouldnt go to terrestrial radio. SXM is supposed to announce first (?) positive earning this past quarter. Liberty and john Malone's involvement with SXM which could mean some interesting synergies going forward. And more......

Legend
    01-29-2010, 02:29 PM #40
    Agreed, but what did I lose on 2500 shares, not much. Especially when I used the Realized Profits to purchase more of my short positions...which went up a higher % than siri. Your also committing the Monday morning qb mistake...everyone sees the linebacker dropping in coverage on ESPN on Monday. The ? you have to ask yourself is if this move was so obvious did you commit new money or is buy and hold good enough going forward. I am truly excited about everyones gains, Mel included. This was the spike that makes the story at least interesting on the dollar march. If Mel gets an extension on the delisting(6 months), the reverse split that has been authorized runs out I think. This would be huge for the company going forward, hence another proxy vote would have to be taken to authorize another split. This could save the shares holders, old and new. If the split happens, bad things man, bad things. Good luck today and don't be afraid of the sell button...someone on here said it best the stock is 16 cents from a dollar but its also 16c from .68, lol.

Big Ben
    Holding is good enough for me right now but i did buy 5,000 additional shares from .65 to.68. Not a lot, but it did seem kind of obvious to me after their pre-announcement of over 250,000 4th quarter new subscriptions, new coverage initiated with $1.00 target, and other positive stories that if SXM was ever going to rise NOW was the time. I dont consider that monday morning quarterbacking but i understand where you might think so.
    Yes the reverse split is a big issue going forward and from what Mel said i knew he would do everything he could to avoid it ( another reason to believe this stock would head higher). It still remains to be seen what he has up his sleeve to bring SXM over $1.00 for ten straight days before March 15. It is indeed an exciting time for SXM shareholders.
    What odds would you place on SXM going higher or going back to .68?

Page 4 of 10 ... 23456 ...