12-29-2009, 03:14 PM #1

Mirge radio indoor reception

Just got a new Mirge radio for Christmas. I love the radio and all the programming available. I got the home kit and the vehicle kit, and it works great at home for the most part, haven't tried the vehicle kit yet. However, I brought it to work (where I wanted to use it primarily), and I can not get it to receive a signal. I can get the XM signal if I hang it out the window, but no Sirius signal anywhere I can put it. Any suggestions, I've looked online and it seems others have the same issue. Already dropped a lot of change on this thing, so I'm not real interested in mounting any outdoor antannaes or repeaters, plus I am sure employer won't appreciate drilling holes in the concrete.

Enthusiast
    12-29-2009, 05:09 PM #2
    Didn't you get the 50 foot antenna extension cable with the MiRGE home kit?
    that is what it's for, and the only way to get both Sirius and XM, you'll almost always have to place the antenna outside on the roof with a clear view 360 degree of the open sky, that is the way I have my MiRGE installed at home.......
    Also the MiRGE car kit works well for both services mounted on my Ford Truck's roof with the interoperable antenna, not really much more you can do to pick up Sirius any better, without an outside antenna but, at least you can get XM at work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by denb45; 12-29-2009 at 05:16 PM.

12-31-2009, 01:18 PM #3
    I got the indoor\outdoor antanae 20' cable that came with the home kit, which is plenty long, just almost impossible to mount it outside on the building at work. Doesnt seem to be much more I can do with it other than hang it out the window and get XM. Takes away half the capability of the radio right off the bat. It does work well in the car, but I am only in the car less than an hour a day. Oh well, it may go back, just not worth the money if you can't use it to full extent. They really should make it much clearer that these things don't work well inside, but I guess it's always buyer beware. Brother-in-law got a Stilletto for Christmas too, pretty much the same story, it's worthless inside.

Enthusiast
    12-31-2009, 08:45 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ECPirate View Post
    I got the indoor\outdoor antanae 20' cable that came with the home kit, which is plenty long, just almost impossible to mount it outside on the building at work. Doesnt seem to be much more I can do with it other than hang it out the window and get XM. Takes away half the capability of the radio right off the bat. It does work well in the car, but I am only in the car less than an hour a day. Oh well, it may go back, just not worth the money if you can't use it to full extent. They really should make it much clearer that these things don't work well inside, but I guess it's always buyer beware. Brother-in-law got a Stilletto for Christmas too, pretty much the same story, it's worthless inside.
    Sorry your new MiRGE didn't work out for you, but, if you do decide to keep it
    you can always put the antenna outside on the roof ( like I did in my home) both work well, in my house w/ the outside antenna, and in my Truck, so that was never a problem in the area I live in