Page 1 of 2 12
    12-14-2009, 03:58 AM #1

Sirius Weekly Thread 12-14-09

Good Morning All,

Next week, Christmas! I am sure this is
    exactly what you wanted to hear this Monday morning.

Have a wonderful week everybody.

I'll be sure and tell Mel what we think about the stock price.

Julie
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Addict
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Vancouver Island Canada Posts: 583
    12-14-2009, 01:44 PM #2
    Good Morning Julie,

Thank you for starting the weekly thread! Well we are green this morning by .003 .
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Guru
    12-14-2009, 04:20 PM #3
    Wow - almost a whole day trading between 60 and 62 and no posts. It's as if SIRI is boring LOL.

Enthusiast
    12-14-2009, 11:32 PM #4
    [QUOTE. Mel starts his 3 martini-lunch around 10:30 A.M.
    ==================================================
    I'm sure the answer will be "I didn't see your Post in time".

However, I am seconding the motion.
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Enthusiast
    12-16-2009, 01:40 PM #5
    Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Mentor
    12-17-2009, 09:34 PM #6
    Plan, Pricing Flexibility Could Boost Sirius XM's Business

By Rafi Mohammed
    Published: December 17, 2009

It takes a significant amount of investment -- financial as well as hard work -- to bring a new product to market.

But no matter what product or service you provide, there usually is an opportunity to generate significant profit and growth by offering a new pricing plan.

Consider the opportunities available to satellite radio provider Sirius XM Radio.

A key strategy Sirius XM is pursuing to gain new subscribers is to get its radios factory-installed in as many vehicles as possible. The hope is to offer new car owners a few months of free service to hook them, and then charge a monthly fee for unlimited service.

A key barrier to converting trial users to paid subscribers is that not all drivers need an “all you can eat” pricing plan. All new car owners don’t have long commutes or make cross-country road trips. For those who spend less time in their cars and trucks, it’s a challenge to justify paying $14 or $15 a month for that kind of subscription.

Sirius XM is experimenting with product and pricing options, offering lower-priced a la carte (you select the channels that you want) and themed bundles (family, mostly music, etc.).

That's a great start, but the company also should offer metered pricing options, just as cell phone companies do.

Consider pricing Sirius XM at a dollar an hour. This new pricing plan could activate dormant customers – those who like the service but have refrained from subscribing simply because the unlimited plan does not work for them.

Given Sirius XM’s high fixed costs -- on-air talent, satellites orbiting the earth -- revenue gained from activating pay-by-the-hour listeners will be virtually all profit.

Sirius XM’s third-quarter 2009 results statement reveals that the company had approximately 3 million promotional customers (presumably on a free trial).

According to a November Wall Street Journal article by Sarah McBride, roughly 45% of customers on free trials end up becoming paid subscribers.

Suppose that a new pricing plan could get another 20% of trial users to pay $5 a month for five hours of service. Assuming minimal servicing costs, this would boost monthly income from operations by $3 million.

Since Sirius XM’s most recent quarterly income from operations was $37 million, these newly activated customers would increase income by 32%.

That said, the benefits of offering a new pricing plan go far beyond increasing the conversion rate of trial users. This new pricing plan also would activate new home and automobile customers – not currently on a free trial – thus generating significant additional profits and growth.

As entertainment products become increasingly digitized, there are more opportunities to offer new pricing plans – just as Sirius XM can – to reap a financial windfall.

Rafi Mohammed, Ph.D. is a pricing strategy consultant and author of pricing strategy books, "The Art of Pricing" (Crown Business, 2005) and the forthcoming "The 1% Windfall" (HarperCollins, 2010). He wrote his economics Ph.D. dissertation (Cornell University, 1994) on rock-concert ticket pricing and bundling.

12-18-2009, 09:34 AM #7
    Have a wonderful weekend my friends,

Julie
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    12-18-2009, 10:05 AM #8
    [QUOTE=julietoo;58363]
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrunningfool View Post
    ==================================================

Have a wonderful weekend my friends,

Julie
    Julie,
    You too!!!
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:31 PM.

12-18-2009, 10:07 AM #9
    I read a some posts the other day and I actually saw my name come up, someone was willing to trade me away to another sight for Relmor...I think, not sure...funny stuff though. The best part is I just recently threw away a post it note with some Relmor quotes,and the three wise men were right there saying go go go....Candleman and other geniuses...blah blah blah. Might I add all were wrong, way wrong, and in hindsight, actually sound like cheerleaders in the 7th grade, and for the record they had black and gold pom poms. ;-} Go ahead and read the thread, it was around Oct 15thish. So now that the eighties are not here, whats up? Someone with a brain please talk to me and convince me to keep my 2500 shares...up 5%. Before I go any further and start sounding like an idiot(lol), riddle me this batman? Has the NASDAQ granted an extension to the stock price or are we going to get another year to get above a dollar?

Two symbols to look at if you have my world view, FAZ, FXP. I can explain why I like these if anyone cares. It is speculation about the trends, they both short the markets and they look ripe for the picking short term or long term.

Good luck all!
    Big Ben
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    12-18-2009, 11:18 AM #10
    Gone for a while, thought I would check back on the dead money crew. lol. I read a some posts the other day and I actually saw my name come up, someone was willing to trade me away to another sight for Relmor...I think, not sure...funny stuff though. The best part is I just recently threw away a post it note with some Relmor quotes,and the three wise men were right there saying go go go....Candleman and other geniuses...blah blah blah. Might I add all were wrong, way wrong, and in hindsight, actually sound like cheerleaders in the 7th grade, and for the record they had black and gold pom poms. ;-} Go ahead and read the thread, it was around Oct 15thish. So now that the eighties are not here, whats up? Someone with a brain please talk to me and convince me to keep my 2500 shares...up 5%. Before I go any further and start sounding like an idiot(lol), riddle me this batman? Has the NASDAQ granted an extension to the stock price or are we going to get another year to get above a dollar?

Two symbols to look at if you have my world view, FAZ, FXP. I can explain why I like these if anyone cares. It is speculation about the trends, they both short the markets and they look ripe for the picking short term or long term.

Good luck all!
    Big Ben[/QUOTE]

Hey Ben,
    I still think we have a great investment in our hands here. I hold over 250K shares now. So, If you want to sell yours, I'll be very happy to take them off of your hands.
    We fell below 60 cents this morning. To some investors, that may be a bad sign. For me, it says it's time to buy some more. In the end we'll see who is right and who is wrong.
    I just prefer to have more faith in our country and our ability to profit after the recession than you do.
    So, just keep shorting those China stocks and the bank funds. That's a good way to make money in the short term. But, for me, SIRI is a solid long term gainer and I'm here to stay.
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 02-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12