Page 23 of 24 ... 1321222324
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    01-01-2010, 03:44 PM #221
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    Happy New Year Men, and JulieToo

I'm actually sick - blah - just a cold, not exactly the way to ring in the new year, but I'm happy in the respect that overall I'm generally healthy, so no complaints.

Anyway, I wish the best in your trading this year! Any resolutions?

Mine is to plan the trade, trade the plan, and diligently monitor performance. That and not sabotage any trades, I want to put risk to a minimum.

Outside of trading, eat breakfast.
    Dave, you asked about resolutions for the New Year.....

I've resolved to sell off 75% of my portfolio in the next 60 days. I'll be taking that money and expanding our companies. Hopefully, I'll create 4 or 5 new jobs. So, I resolve to invest in people this year! I might make more money in the market. But, it feels better to help a few families make some money they didn't have before!

Happy New Year and I hope you feel better soon.

Chuck

Mentor
    01-01-2010, 04:46 PM #222
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Dave, you asked about resolutions for the New Year.....

I've resolved to sell off 75% of my portfolio in the next 60 days. I'll be taking that money and expanding our companies. Hopefully, I'll create 4 or 5 new jobs. So, I resolve to invest in people this year! I might make more money in the market. But, it feels better to help a few families make some money they didn't have before!

Happy New Year and I hope you feel better soon.

Chuck
    Chuck, that's awesome! I'm sure it'll be fruitful! It sounds like you're a good business man and a good trader, so the route you are taking will be a win in a better way.

I'm waiting for the day I have some money so I can do something good with it.

Mentor
    01-01-2010, 04:52 PM #223
    Lol,

Now you have me thinking about how I would cash out an account in 60 days. I guess I would keep it simple. Pick a moving average and sell all those with closes below that moving average, then as each stock above that moving average closes below that moving average, close it out as well... ie. cut losers, ride the uptrends. 60 days is tough time frame to pick one.. but I guess, if it were me, I'd just backtest the tickers and take the average to keep it simple, then just set up alerts thru my broker. Or maybe with that time frame pick the 34 ema or 20 sma or something.

Mentor
    01-01-2010, 05:05 PM #224
    Lol,

Now you have me thinking about how I would cash out an account in 60 days. I guess I would keep it simple. Pick a moving average and sell all those with closes below that moving average, then as each stock above that moving average closes below that moving average, close it out as well... ie. cut losers, ride the uptrends. 60 days is tough time frame to pick one.. but I guess, if it were me, I'd just backtest the tickers and take the average to keep it simple, then just set up alerts thru my broker. Or maybe with that time frame just pick the 34 ema or 20 sma or something, set up alerts.
    Interesting puzzle... already more getting more complicated - I'd likely put them in bins (<$0.50, $0.51-$15, >$15.01) then backtest or go -

stocks $0.50 and below - 8 ema
    stocks $0.51 - $15 - 13 ema
    stocks $15.01 or more - 34 ema

Actually, I'd drive myself crazy backtesting... I think the last scenario would be it... or perhaps, just through up 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 ema's on each chart and see which seems to fit each stock the best in the last year, to squeeze out of each trade.

Mentor
    01-01-2010, 05:13 PM #225
    Thanks Chuck, I'm gonna be backtesting all afternoon now.... lol.

Mentor
    01-01-2010, 08:06 PM #226
    LOL, still thinking about it...

I bet you'll scale out by "gut feel", lol. I suck at gut feel.
    Last edited by Dr. Dave; 01-01-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Enthusiast
    01-02-2010, 02:03 AM #227
    Dave.

You are truly worth the reading. Thanks for all your efforts in 2009 and by all means, Happy 2010 to you.

Socal

P.S. I am in second place according to JohnnyIrishXM in number of posts in reply to myself. You look like you may be in the running. LOL.

Mentor
    01-02-2010, 02:20 AM #228
    LOL Socal!

Yeah, I get on a string of posting too much, and it's quiet in here. I'm trapped at my GF's parents place, and they just like to watch football the entire day and night. After a while the sound of the TV drives me nuts, so I came in the other room.

May all your trades be green this year my man! (or at least 60% where the % gains are also greater than the % losers).

Guru
    01-02-2010, 04:18 AM #229
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
    Happy New Year everybody!

Julie, I just noticed you got demoted to Moderator, congratulations!

It's a thankless job ... I know something of it after many years of getting beat up, roasted, threatened ... dragged through the mud, having both knee caps broken, you get the idea ...

But I am sure you will do just fine

On a Sirius note ... You are an absolute delight to be in the midst of all these comedian\curmudgeon's otherwise known as 'men' and not only go toe to toe with them\us but outwit to boot!

What a year it was ... 2 cyber-divorces that started here and somehow the child custody arrangements got worked out, for the most part, everyone seems to have found their particular home and ... the analogy is starting to fall apart so ... I am glad for it in the long run, the DRAMA last year!

This little niche here, you guy's are special in that non-short-bus kind of way! I have learned a ton from everyone, paid some traders dues by utilizing that overdeveloped part of the cranium, the stupidity-lobe, bought some really crappy stocks that were recommended by my 'friends' (Thanks!) and hope to pay it forward this coming year ...

I shouldn't attempt these things this early in the morning, trying to be cute - In all honesty, this is a great group and I hope this year we can cover each others butt's with our choice stocks, be more diligent and observant, catch those red flags (like really bad pictures of oil wells), crafty CEO's, criminals and other charlatans with their particular odor and sketchy past\present business acumen.

Charles and Tyler or Spencer - Thanks for providing us with this great comedy club to gather at - May you both prosper in health, wisdom and substantial increases in your portfolios this year!

Wheres Bill?
    I am here...I am just not into the stocks that I picked so much..I haven't even checked them. I am kind of bummed, but with time, who knows...actually, I am into reforming..I need money to do it...but like everyone else..I have to make it before I can spend it...I am just not stock crazy right now...I don't trust our government... Congress..etc...I think we are in for some sincere problems...I am more or less, just standing bye...to see what is happening...I won't put my hard-earned money into this economy..maybe in 2010 -2012...but not now. I am not as active as before, but with good reasoning...

I love all of you...

Bill

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    01-02-2010, 11:51 AM #230
    LOL, still thinking about it...

I bet you'll scale out by "gut feel", lol. I suck at gut feel.
    Dave, that is my exact plan...go with the guts!!! It's a very crazy way of doing things...but it works for me!

I actually sold off ALL of my profitable trades during the last 3 months. So, basically, what I'm left holding is shares that are priced below what I originally paid for them.

My plan is to set sells at the price I paid. And hopefully, I'll get most of my money back that way. They don't have to sell quickly, but 60 days ought to do it for most of them like Sprint, Citi, Logitech, and NRG. I'm averaged on SIRI around .65, so I plan on profiting on that one with my sell set at .69, and hundreds of one dollar March options that still could pay off since I own them at a nickle.

QASP is proving to be SUPER profitable for me, so I'll let the remaining shares go in increments of 20% profits.

The rest of the pennies like SPNG, OCNF, GSAE, BEHL and others will just sit in the account until whenever they make me some dough.

I'm going to ponder your ideas though. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.