Mentor
    01-22-2008, 12:36 PM #1

Cool HD Radio

I had to take my truck in to get serviced today AGAIN. Sucks, since it was just in late last week for service. It was going to be a while, so they offered to give me a ride home. Unfortunately, that meant I had to listen to **gulp** terrestrial radio. What is the first thing that came on after I got in? A COMMERCIAL!!!! YAY!!

And what was the commercial for? None other than HD radio. It was pushing the fact that you could tag a song for download on iTunes. But that wasn't the thing that caught my attention the most. The thing that caught my attention the most was the fact that they kept on stressing "TOTALLY FREE RADIO!"

So, if XM and Sirius don't compete with terrestrial or HD, why do they even need to mention the fact that the HD is "totally free"? Me thinks there is competition....

01-22-2008, 04:44 PM #2
    The fact that it is still debated makes we want to sharpen pencils and stick them in my eyes. There is no debate here, of course there is competition, and no I don't own any Sirius stock.

01-23-2008, 12:49 PM #3
    As a consumer, I like the words "Totally Free". Or the FREE in general. There's no comparison between HD radio and Sirius/XM So I don't feel either SatRad is in competition either for listeners or advertising dollars

JMO
    Last edited by minnesota; 01-23-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Mentor
    01-23-2008, 11:58 PM #4
    4 years ago, you would have never heard radio mention anything about "Free Radio". Now, with the competition between the two, FREE RADIO brings on a whole new meaning. Why would they mention FREE radio when radio has always been free unless it competes with something that is not free?

01-24-2008, 08:37 AM #5
    Again, I think it's just to grab the listeners attention. HD radio relatively new. To sell it, they must compete with XM and Sirius, entities years ago never exsisted. So now the word FREE comes out of the closet to make it sound attractive. You still have to buy the receiver, did they mention that?

JMO

Mentor
    01-24-2008, 12:59 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesota
    There's no comparison between HD radio and Sirius/XM So I don't feel either SatRad is in competition either for listeners or advertising dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesota
    HD radio relatively new. To sell it, they must compete with XM and Sirius, entities years ago never exsisted. So now the word FREE comes out of the closet to make it sound attractive.
    My point exactly. They DO compete, no matter how hard the NAB would like you to beleive otherwize. Satellite Radio does sell commercials, and SatRad does compete for listeners. Every national add that SatRad airs is one more that does not go out on Terrestrial Radio (or HD radio). Every subscriber that signs up with SatRad is one more listener that Terrestrial Radio (or HD radio) does not have. That is the heart of competition.