Page 3 of 11 12345 ...
    Mentor
    12-01-2009, 11:56 AM #21
    NEGOTIATING WITH STERN

Karmazin also has to gear up to keep the top talent at Sirius, which must prove that it is different from the many forms of audio entertainment such as iPods and free Internet Radio services like Pandora.

He has until the end of next year to re-sign Howard Stern and until 2011 to renew a deal with Oprah Winfrey. Asked whether Oprah or Stern was the tougher negotiator, the veteran dealmaker quipped that both previously got the best of him.

"I'll tell you who was the worst negotiator: It was always Mel because they got all that money from me," he said. (Click on tinyurl.com/yd7cf75 for his comments on Stern)

For now, Karmazin -- an avid reader, who treasures his Amazon (AMZN.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Kindle eReader -- says Sirius is on a path to cash flow and subscriber growth in 2009, and has recently renewed his contract as CEO of the New York-based company.

He is also mindful that doing well keeps his other perhaps scarier risk at bay: retirement.

Karmazin, who this month marks five years as chief executive of Sirius, explained that when he left Viacom in 2004 he didn't know what he wanted to do, so, he stayed at home and helped his wife with household chores.

"I don't picture myself staying home and folding sheets with my wife," he said. "It's not what I really want to spend my time doing."

"ohhh Melvin! what did you do with the silk sheets?"

"they're in the dryer dear"

"damn you Mel . . those are silk . . don't you screw-up my laundry like you did those convertible bonds"

If he is not working at Sirius, he would prefer to be involved in an entrepreneurial business, more so than a large media company.

"So when my contract is up I'll think of what I want to do -- but I certainly don't want to retire," he said.

(Reporting by Franklin Paul, editing by Tiffany Wu and Tim Dobbyn)
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 12-01-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Mentor
    12-01-2009, 11:59 AM #22

The Moral of all these Mel Posts

So SRK . . . what is the point of all these Mel posts? . . . you ask . .

Simply this . . . take good care of your teeth while you are young . . . even with all of Mel's money . . . it is hard to find a competent dentist!

Mentor
    12-01-2009, 12:10 PM #23

1 More Time

CORPORATE POLITICS 101

I will say this 1 more time for anyone that is listening:

The NASDAQ waiver of the $1.00 listing requirement is in the bag!

Guru
    12-01-2009, 12:19 PM #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    CORPORATE POLITICS 101

I'd rather have the stock price > $1.00!!! Thanks for all the "Mel posts". I take it as positive PR.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    12-01-2009, 12:21 PM #25
    CORPORATE POLITICS 101

RoadKill, thanks for posting these articles.

It seems clear to me that this is all pretty positive fluff. It certainly shouldn't hurt the stock price.

Regardless of the possible Reverse Split or a delisting, all I want for Christmas is 78 cents per share....

Legend
    12-01-2009, 02:11 PM #26
    Actually, I just used common sense and logic to deduce that Handwringer MUST be retired based on the frequency of his posts . . but I guess he could be jerking around on "the man's time" . . . that's how they do it on that side of the aisle . . you know, "to each based on his need . . from each . . ."

As to the "short leash" . . . yes, I know of where you speak . . remember when Kathy Lee made Frank Gifford wear that beeper after the whole stewardess debacle . . . well, a certain . . . ahh, never mind . . .

John is clearly an obsessive compulsive and certainly so when it comes to anything to do with Lloyd. Funny stuff. Why dont you ask John why he wont bet me on the global temperatures of the next 2 years? its clear he is chicken and latching onto anything he can to bolster his rigid ideology.
    Anyway i did think this was the stock discussion thread and dont understand why he feels the impulse to change the subject. Back to the thread please...

Mentor
    12-01-2009, 02:19 PM #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    John is clearly an obsessive compulsive and certainly so when it comes to anything to do with Lloyd. Funny stuff. Why dont you ask John why he wont bet me on the global temperatures of the next 2 years? its clear he is chicken and latching onto anything he can to bolster his rigid ideology.
    Anyway i did think this was the stock discussion thread and dont understand why he feels the impulse to change the subject. Back to the thread please...
    This is BRILLIANT!

SiriusXM could put a new show on the air. It could be called Left of Right.....or the Lloyd and John Happy Hour. At least 3 or 4 people would listen, maybe even 5! Although it would be no replacement for Howard, it may be a prerunner of the Sarah Palin Comedy Hour.

The first half hour of the show would be in Lloyd's studio where the temperature is always warm. And then they'd finish the show in John's studio where the temperature is always declining.

Can you imagine what this would do for the share price???

I think I'll call Mel right now and suggest this!

Legend
    12-01-2009, 02:30 PM #28
    I like the idea Candleman. Hot vs. Cold or Icebergs Melting or Freezing?
    Quaranteed to attract a very small audience. Maybe even drive people away in droves. LOL.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 12-01-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Mentor
    12-01-2009, 02:34 PM #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I like the idea Candleman. Hot vs. Cold or Icebergs Melting or freezing?
    Quaranteed to attract a very small audience maybe even drive people away in droves. LOL.
    Yeah, who needs all those listeners anyway. They just have opinions and we really don't care about that. We'd much rather hear about Howard's sex life!

Legend
    12-01-2009, 03:30 PM #30
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Yeah, who needs all those listeners anyway. They just have opinions and we really don't care about that. We'd much rather hear about Howard's sex life!
    Yep or focus on balloon parents and state dinner crashers or Tiger Woods personal life.

Page 3 of 11 12345 ...