11-17-2009, 07:45 PM #1

Sportster 5 and possible problem

I have purchased a Sportster 5 from Sirius about a year ago. I have been moving it from car to car and it has never been dropped but recently I lost all of my settings (presets, artists, songs, and display settings) as well as the unit shuts off by itself while I am driving. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a lifetime subscription and was wondering what my options are. I don't want to purchase another unit (which will bring me down to 2 more changes before I have to purchase another lifetime sub) but I don't think I will be able to send it in for them to repair it. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this.

Shawn

Enthusiast
    11-18-2009, 01:53 PM #2
    I have heard of this problem before. It is very common with Sportster 5's. What happens is that the plug on the bottom of the radio wears down and doesn't make a good connection anymore with the docking station and causes it to cut off during operation. Unfortunately the thing that needs to be done is that you need to replace the radio. You can transfer a lifetime sub to a new radio but you will have to pay a penalty fee. So here's your option. You can call sirius and see if they will replace it under warranty, or you can buy a new stand alone receiver and it will work with all of the components that you have without having to buy the full kit. Here is a link to the stand alone: http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-spor...er-p-5754.html

11-18-2009, 10:10 PM #3
    Thanks for the reply. Is there a receiver that you would recommend that can be moved from car to car without having this issue? I would hate to purchase another Sportster 5 only to have the same issue happen again. I guess I am asking if there is another receiver that is a little more rugged not that the receiver gets abused but it does get taken out of my vehicle each time I leave the car to prevent it from being stolen.

Thanks again for the advice.

Shawn

Enthusiast
    11-20-2009, 01:54 PM #4
    I like the starmate 5 a lot! It has proven itself really well over the years. It does have a known preset strip issue, but if that ever happens it can be fixed by the owner in less than 5 minutes. You could upgrade to a stand alone one for only 69.99 and it will work with everything you had for the sportster 5. Here is a link to the product: http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-star...er-p-6898.html