Page 4 of 4 ... 234
    Head Honcho
    11-16-2009, 01:04 AM #31
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSCLE13 View Post
    Very simple answer to all your questions. They absolutely MUST ADDRESS THE INTERNET/CELLPHONE MARKET..............in ways that get people listening to Sirius XM in the car.
    Sounds good to me. The end result means that its in car, the internet, and cell phones. Everyone is a winner. If for no other reason then a means to the end of getting people to listen in cars, they should do it. We are in violent agreement.

So, in your opinion... what are they waiting for? Do you think they are doing all they can at this point? I am curious to get another persons take on this who sees the big picture a little different then I do.

Mel is not G-D. Mel is radio. And radio is cars. It's as simple as that. Don't like it? Don't agree with it? Don't care. That's radio.
    uhhh... but what about the hundreds of millions of people who listen to radio (and music type services...which I think Sirius XM can and will get into) online? Its not like online is speculation, it is already happening. The online music/radio market is already huge (even if you dont think its the future).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    11-16-2009, 09:27 PM #32
    1. The internet right now in the car has to be addressed in the aftermarket. Make no mistake about it - New car and used car OEM is much more important than the aftermarket, but I see cellphones being key to the aftermarket.

I think they should move SkyDock to Blackberry and Android phones in addition to iPhones, and I think the premium online app should do the same and get Howard on that online app too! That's a must in my book.

2. Internet radio has been in the home and office on the computer since 1996. There are about 1 million internet radio stations out there. I don't see the business model at home. It's so damn fragmented and where is the revenue? Nobody has come up with a good model since 1996.

What did Mel say today on the Fox interview -75% of people are listening to the radio when they are in the car. That's where the business model is.

I can't believe Howard is not on the app. I just can't believe it. And he is on Pocket Tunes. That makes no sense.

I do hate when technology folks think they understand radio better than Mel. I see it all over the net. Mel is radio, and Sirius is absolutely 100% radio. It's not rocket science. It's radio.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 11-16-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Head Honcho
    11-16-2009, 10:01 PM #33
    Still curious "So, in your opinion... what are they waiting for? Do you think they are doing all they can at this point? I am curious to get another persons take on this who sees the big picture a little different then I do."

I do hate when technology folks think they understand radio better than Mel. I see it all over the net.
    Anyone in particular? I for one don't think I know more about radio then Mel and most people I see who are tech savvy simply talk about the technology and where they think Sirius XM is missing the boat, from hardware to software (which by the way Mel will admit he doesn't understand a thing about).

Mel is radio, and Sirius is absolutely 100% radio. It's not rocket science. It's radio.
    Its interesting for me to see you say that. That is all Sirius XM is in your eyes? Do you classify them in the same category with terrestrial? Just curious.

Personally its hard for me to see Sirius XM as just "radio" since I think they are a broader content based supplier with the potential to deliver that content in any way they can dream up.... to me, thats not just radio. The quicker Sirius XM embraces technology the quicker their potential market goes from hundreds of millions to billions of listeners. Thinking that cars is the only thing that is important is the way I would expect a dinosaur to think. Simple cellphones from 10 years ago have turned into portable computers and people are taking advantage of everything they have to offer. I am sure that these people (based on what I can see with my own 2 eyes) are on/using their smartphones far more then they drive.

Can I take a stab at your age muscle? I am betting you are 45+. That is not meant to be a dig. I just think you are dating yourself with your train of thought. Embrace technology, its not a bad thing!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    11-16-2009, 10:26 PM #34
    Charles - Its not just you that knows nothing about radio. Its just about all the posters and bloggers. I tend to think you technology guys are actually proud of it. I say EBITDA and you guys say cloud computing

Did you know Sirius was part of the National Association of Broadcasters years ago along with all the Terrestrial radio companies? Its all radio.

That was before Terrestrial got scared to death of Sat radio when Howard came along. LOL

I do like Spencer though. He really tries like heck to learn the radio business. Where is he by the way?

Head Honcho
    11-17-2009, 12:52 AM #35
    I am going to ask this for a third time because I am still interested (in regards to their internet/tech presence.
    "So, in your opinion... what are they waiting for? Do you think they are doing all they can at this point? I am curious to get another persons take on this who sees the big picture a little different then I do."

Charles - Its not just you that knows nothing about radio. Its just about all the posters and bloggers. I tend to think you technology guys are actually proud of it. I say EBITDA and you guys say cloud computing
    1. Curious... then why read the blogs and forums if everyone knows nothing? I happen to enjoy engadging in discussion and sharing thoughts with people who may know more or less then me or may have a different option then me in an effort to gauge all sides of the equation. The perception of the group is important when this same group is your target demographic. People who are "know nothings" in your eyes are the same people you count on to subscribe and build this company... why discredit them?
    2. I understand EBITA just fine. I actually received a degree in computers and business. Which alone doesn't say much but I continue to further my education on a daily basis, as knowledge truly interests me. I have started my own business and have helped to get a few (still profitable) startups off the ground.
    3. I wouldnt say I know "nothing" about radio. I have been following the equity for 5 years now and have been listening to radio for 20+ years. Sure, I may not know as much as some but, "nothing" wouldn't be accurate.

Just sayin.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    11-17-2009, 08:17 AM #36
    They are probably searching and waiting for a profitable internet model in the car. SkyDock is a nice start.

Charles - You are probably a very smart tech guy. I have lunch with my tech guys at least twice a week. Great brilliant guys. Some a lot smarter than me.

But this is radio. Take care man and good luck.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 11-17-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Head Honcho
    11-17-2009, 01:01 PM #37
    They are probably searching and waiting for a profitable internet model in the car. SkyDock is a nice start.
    What about using the internet as a tool to get people to subscribe in the car? Isnt the internet profitable when you charge $13 a month to use it? What is wrong with that model?

But this is radio. Take care man and good luck.
    Are you saying technology is not a factor here? This is satellites beaming data to earth and data being streamed across the internet. This is technology at its finest...its not simply just radio. I dont think Sirius XM or Mel would argue that technology and what they do with it is a huge part of the equation and their potential success.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

11-17-2009, 01:56 PM #38
    How many of Sirius subscribers of the 18 million are counted as paying subscribers that really arnt? For example, I paid for a lifetime subscription the week Howard came to Sir four years ago. The $300 i paid was long ago booked and Sirius receives no more money from me ever. Yet im guessing im counted as a subscriber in the revenue estimates.

11-17-2009, 06:49 PM #39

Great Discussion

This is a great discussion. A Sirius subscriber since 2004, a Stern fan, and a stock holder. I used to believe internet radio was no match for Sirius, but I have come around.

Internet Radio is a valid competitor to Sirius simply because Internet bandwidth delivery has come to mobile phones. Even as I type this, I am listening to Pandora on my Verizon Blackberry Pearl. Pandora uses the Music Genome Project to identify musical tastes and I am very impressed with the tailored music it delivers to me. They have a 95% hit rate with me and my eclectic indie music tastes, even Sirius' 26 can't get anywhere near that number.

But I believe most of you are missing the point here. The main reason I believe that Internet radio is the next logical progression of radio after satellites, is that has a less expensive infrastructure, especially when you consider that infrastructure already exists to carry mobile phone traffic. Billion dollar satellites launched 22,000 miles above the Earth is very expensive. These satellites only support radio. A 30 foot cell tower is cheap and they already exist and are supported by cell phone revenues. Piggy backing internet delivery only gives these call phone carriers the platform to offer music at a much cheaper rate. In 2004 there were no 3G or 4G networks. Now cell phones cover 95% of the land area of the US and 99.5% of people.

If I was satellite radio, I'd be terrified. I can't see how Sirius will compete while supporting this 400 lb. Gorilla of a network compared to the light and agile network of cell phone companies. Not to mention satellite's obviously weakness that it can't be used indoors in most places.

I do hope Mel can come up with a way to compete, but I don't see how. Customizable music channels are far superior and less work than 80 static programmed channels. Satellite radio served a purpose but I think radio networks are going to get 21,999 miles and 5,250 feet closer to Earth over the coming decade.

Addict
    03-06-2010, 06:10 PM #40
    Any word on Sirius for Android phones, now that they are on iPhones and Blackberrys? Looking for a timetable. Wife and I are getting new phones soon and would like to get Droids but Blackberry is the choice right now because of Sirius.Thanks

Page 4 of 4 ... 234