Mentor
    10-19-2009, 06:57 AM #1

Quote: "I hope Mel is not Listening!" "Who?"

Attached is a link to a 1 hour terrestrial radio broadcast (no commercials) that took place on Friday October 16, 1-2 P.M EST on 66 WFAN in New York . .

This clip requires a little set-up for those of you that live outside of the New York/New Jersey/Conn listening area . .

Until 14 mos ago, the best sports talk radio program in the country, for the prior 20 years, had been "Mike & the Mad Dog" with a terrestrial broadcast originating from Manhattan . .

That all changed when Mel pursued Mad Dog . . and offered him a 5 year contract to run his own sports channel at Sirius XM . . Dog/Chris Russo was permitted to opt out of his WFAN contract early in order to accept Mel's offer . . which he did . . XM 144 for me.

This past Friday . . former partners Mike Francesca and Chris Russo were both broadcasting live from Yankee Stadium . . and had adjoning booths!

Chris/Mad Dog agreed to go on Mike's show for the first hour (1:00-2:00) as a surprise reunion of sorts . . take a listen . . even if you are not a sports fan . . you will learn a few things about working at Sirius XM . . . listen carefully . . . some interesting tidbits!

Here's the link:

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_windo...udioId=4097852
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 10-19-2009 at 09:04 AM.

10-24-2009, 10:41 AM #2
    That WAS very interesting......on many levels...

I'm surprised they were allowed to do it.

Knowing the show & they guys, what do you make of it?????

Was it a knock on SIRIUS? Was Russo basically saying he regrets the move?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Attached is a link to a 1 hour terrestrial radio broadcast (no commercials) that took place on Friday October 16, 1-2 P.M EST on 66 WFAN in New York . .

This clip requires a little set-up for those of you that live outside of the New York/New Jersey/Conn listening area . .

Until 14 mos ago, the best sports talk radio program in the country, for the prior 20 years, had been "Mike & the Mad Dog" with a terrestrial broadcast originating from Manhattan . .

That all changed when Mel pursued Mad Dog . . and offered him a 5 year contract to run his own sports channel at Sirius XM . . Dog/Chris Russo was permitted to opt out of his WFAN contract early in order to accept Mel's offer . . which he did . . XM 144 for me.

This past Friday . . former partners Mike Francesca and Chris Russo were both broadcasting live from Yankee Stadium . . and had adjoning booths!

Chris/Mad Dog agreed to go on Mike's show for the first hour (1:00-2:00) as a surprise reunion of sorts . . take a listen . . even if you are not a sports fan . . you will learn a few things about working at Sirius XM . . . listen carefully . . . some interesting tidbits!

Here's the link:

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_windo...udioId=4097852

Mentor
    10-24-2009, 11:58 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SD-08 View Post
    That WAS very interesting......on many levels...

I'm surprised they were allowed to do it.

Knowing the show & they guys, what do you make of it?????

Was it a knock on SIRIUS? Was Russo basically saying he regrets the move?

YES SD . . my take exactly . . Mad Dog regrets it big time!

Very tough to do a national sports show . . fans are regional . . Mad Dog loves to talk Yankees/Mets Giants/Jets Knicks/Rangers

Tough to take phone calls from guys in Alabama who want to talk college football

The other take-away for me . . is you get the impression that no one is listening to Sirius (same thing Leno said about Stern) . . as if anyone who goes to work at Sirius just evaporates into thin air . . like when Mad Dog says "I hope Mel's not listening" . . and then Mike sarcastically replies "who?" . . and Mad Dog says "another good one Mike" and then they bust out laughing . . (basically implying that even Mel himself has become "invisible" - at least as far as the radio business is concerned - but hey, the terrestrial guys still love to get in their licks)

then when Dog says . . "I'm at Great Adventure with 3,500 people . . and Mike's at Bar-A (short for "Bar Anticipations" - a Jersey Shore summer hot-spot in Belmar near the beach) with 35,000 people what's wrong with this picture"

So yes, it does sound like Mad Dog has a lot of regrets . plus Mike just signed a huge new contract with WFAN . .

Another interesting tidbit . . "Craig Karmazin" . . Mel's kid under our employ . .

On the plus side . . Mel does seem to be engaged with what is going on with the day-to-day operations . . and does have a very-very firm budget ("every nickle accounted for").

But I agree with your assessment that Mad Dog is filled with regret about the move to satrad!

Stay tuned . . .
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 10-24-2009 at 12:11 PM.