Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: "High jobless rates could be the new normal."

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Sirius Roadkill is offline
    Mentor
    Sirius Roadkill's Avatar
    Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 1,882

    Excellent . . I see you are still here!

  2. #2
    Havakasha is offline
    I knew you couldnt keep a good right wing agitator down for long. LOL.

    You forgot to post A COMMENT like the rules state.

    Yes i think thats right about unemployment being high for quite a long time to come. We just disagree about what caused it, why it might go on for longer than normal, and how to alleviate it.

    First of all this is still Bush's recession. Anyone knows that unemployment turns around last in a recession. It keeps going up even AFTER a recession has ended. The recession started under Bush and unemployment was quite high when Obama took office.

    Second i listened to the Chairmen of Dupont and Caterpillar say that THIS recession was unlike any they had seen before. It was unique and therefore unemployment and other economic problems were likely to be with us for much longer periods of time than would normally be the case. I think anyone with the least bit of honesty would acknowledge that.

    The more important point (since Obama has only been in office for 9 months) is what do we do going forward to change the US so that we can become an economic power again like we have been in the past. Obviously the world has changed and we have problems (failing car companies, expensive health care system for businesses and individuals etc) and competition (China, India etc) that we didnt have to deal with 10 years ago. '
    Its going to take innovation (alternative energy etc) among other things to tackle our challenges. You cant be a member of the flat earth society and expect to change this country so it can face the 21st century problems.

  3. #3
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I knew you couldnt keep a good right wing agitator down for long. LOL.

    You forgot to post A COMMENT like the rules state.

    Yes i think thats right about unemployment being high for quite a long time to come. We just disagree about what caused it, why it might go on for longer than normal, and how to alleviate it.

    First of all this is still Bush's recession. Anyone knows that unemployment turns around last in a recession. It keeps going up even AFTER a recession has ended. The recession started under Bush and unemployment was quite high when Obama took office.

    Second i listened to the Chairmen of Dupont and Caterpillar say that THIS recession was unlike any they had seen before. It was unique and therefore unemployment and other economic problems were likely to be with us for much longer periods of time than would normally be the case. I think anyone with the least bit of honesty would acknowledge that.

    The more important point (since Obama has only been in office for 9 months) is what do we do going forward to change the US so that we can become an economic power again like we have been in the past. Obviously the world has changed and we have problems (failing car companies, expensive health care system for businesses and individuals etc) and competition (China, India etc) that we didnt have to deal with 10 years ago. '
    Its going to take innovation (alternative energy etc) among other things to tackle our challenges. You cant be a member of the flat earth society and expect to change this country so it can face the 21st century problems.

    Who are you trying to kid. Recessions dont last this long and Bush was also handed a recession if you recall. He dealt with that along with the worst attack on US soil that cost the economy more then most recessions and Bush still turned that into the shortest shallowest recession in history. and then had the economy growing at a good clip. Bush did not hand Obama this bad of a recession Obama is responsible for that all by himself. Really the democrats every one of them, that vote against stonger regulation for Fanny Mae, and Freddy Mac. Which by the way included Obama because he voted against the same bill back in 2005 that he latter voted for in 2007 to regulate Fanny and Freddy.


    Talk about flat earth your the onme that still believes in global warming after 11 years of the earth cooling and even your own UN guy saying that there will be at least a leveling off to a cooling off in the next 10 to 20 years. HO by the way something I TOLD YOU WOULD HAPPEN 6 MONTHS BEFORE.


    P.S. Once again who you tring to kid? Bush had an unemployment rate at about 6% when he left. Obama has almost doubled that. Then again what can I expect from you libs during Bushes recession months he creates 250,000 jobs in a quarter and you people say he actually lost 50,000 because the economy needs to create 100,000 a month just to keep up with new people coming into the job market yet Obama loses 1 MILLION jobs in a quarter and they say he acually saved or created 200,000 jobs, Ho really.
    Last edited by john; 10-21-2009 at 04:11 PM.

  4. #4
    Havakasha is offline
    Glad you have decided to stay and fight rather than run from this site.

    Well we will just have to disagree. Bush most defiinitely did hand this recession to Obama. Everyone knows except some right wing tea baggers.


    On the subject of global warming you did read the quote from Lindsey Graham (the Conservative Senator from South Caroling) didnt you? Even he would have to beg to differ with you on the subject. I will let his comment speak for itself.

  5. #5
    Havakasha is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Glad you have decided to stay and fight rather than run from this site.

    Well we will just have to disagree. Bush most defiinitely did hand this recession to Obama. Everyone knows except some right wing tea baggers.


    On the subject of global warming you did read the quote from Lindsey Graham (the Conservative Senator from South Caroling) didnt you? Even he would have to beg to differ with you on the subject. I will let his comment speak for itself.


    Here it is.

    "I cant imagine a nominee for either major party arguing to the public that climate change is NOT REAL AND MAN IS NOT CONTRIBUTING TO IT. If they take that position, the public is going to REALLY QUESTION THEIR JUDGEMENT."

    Again that is a Conservative Senator from South Caroling saying that . Take it up with him.

  6. #6
    Havakasha is offline
    A. What was the unemployment rate when Obama took office?
    Dont play cute .

    B. Everyone knows that unemployment keeps going up after recessions end.
    Its always the last thing to turn around.

  7. #7
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Here it is.

    "I cant imagine a nominee for either major party arguing to the public that climate change is NOT REAL AND MAN IS NOT CONTRIBUTING TO IT. If they take that position, the public is going to REALLY QUESTION THEIR JUDGEMENT."

    Again that is a Conservative Senator from South Caroling saying that . Take it up with him.


    You remember what the BBC said on this subject. I guess Gordon Brown (Englands PM) never heard his own countries news organization after he said that "the earth has been cooling for the last several years."


    The facts dont support you lloyd or anyone else that says man is responsible for global warming. That is something you and them have to get over. The recorded tempitures are the recorded tempitures. The Earth has been cooling for the last 11 years.

  8. #8
    Havakasha is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Here it is.

    "I cant imagine a nominee for either major party arguing to the public that climate change is NOT REAL AND MAN IS NOT CONTRIBUTING TO IT. If they take that position, the public is going to REALLY QUESTION THEIR JUDGEMENT."

    Again that is a Conservative Senator from South Caroling saying that . Take it up with him.

    Pay attention to debating techniques. John wont ever tackle what Lindsey Graham (Conservative Senator from South Carolina) said. He will only talk about liberals like me.

  9. #9
    just sirius is offline
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I knew you couldnt keep a good right wing agitator down for long. LOL.

    You forgot to post A COMMENT like the rules state.

    Yes i think thats right about unemployment being high for quite a long time to come. We just disagree about what caused it, why it might go on for longer than normal, and how to alleviate it.

    First of all this is still Bush's recession. Anyone knows that unemployment turns around last in a recession. It keeps going up even AFTER a recession has ended. The recession started under Bush and unemployment was quite high when Obama took office.

    Second i listened to the Chairmen of Dupont and Caterpillar say that THIS recession was unlike any they had seen before. It was unique and therefore unemployment and other economic problems were likely to be with us for much longer periods of time than would normally be the case. I think anyone with the least bit of honesty would acknowledge that.

    The more important point (since Obama has only been in office for 9 months) is what do we do going forward to change the US so that we can become an economic power again like we have been in the past. Obviously the world has changed and we have problems (failing car companies, expensive health care system for businesses and individuals etc) and competition (China, India etc) that we didnt have to deal with 10 years ago. '
    Its going to take innovation (alternative energy etc) among other things to tackle our challenges. You cant be a member of the flat earth society and expect to change this country so it can face the 21st century problems.
    Lloyd- cant argue about when the recession started! no question...started on Bush's watch.

    However, unemployment was somewhere between 6-6.5% when Obama took office. Now 10% and still climbing.

    As you stated...Anyone knows that unemployment turns around last in a recession...why then did Obama state...if we pass this porkulus bill, unemployment will top out at 8%...is he stupid or just naive! Answer really doesnt matter...country is significantly worse off since he took office!

    Agreed...unemployment rates will stay high for quite some time...mainly due to Obama's policies...lowering taxes...not raising them...will generate new jobs. Michigan has cont to raise taxes during this economic downturn...the whole state is practically in foreclosure!
    PURCHASED THE CABIN IN THE WOODS...THANKS MEL, MALONE, AND THE BLUE DOG

  10. #10
    Havakasha is offline
    Just Sirius, can you tell John the recession started under Bush? Therefore most people consider it Bush's recession since it started in March of 2007 (?).
    Can you tell him that unemployment characteristically goes up even after a recession ends?
    Can you tell him that unemployment is the last thing to turn around after a recession ends?
    Can you tell him that business leaders including chairmen of Dupont and Caterpillar have said "they have never seen a recession like this" and dont expect a normal turnaround and dont blame President Obama?

    Its a place to start the rest is hopeless.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •