09-24-2009, 10:21 AM #1

Question stock radio in 04 wangler- not working

Hi everyone! I'm new here, so sorry for lame questions...

Here's what's going on.
    I have an 04 Wrangler that I got used 2 years ago. Sirius was working when I bought it, so I did nothing (and paid nothing). Stock radio with Sirius built in (use "mode" button)

Few weeks ago, the sirius stops making any noise, and switches to channel 184 or 185 (cant remember exactly). It wont channel up or down, and when I get it to using the presets, it goes right back to 184.

So I call Sirius last night to reactivate the account. I'm more than happy to pay for the service, I love it. We get it all turned on, Sirius is able to send signal and all that, but still wont work. The radio is stuck at 184 with the same stuff- no noise, no ability to channel up or down, and presets go right back to 184.

Sirius says take it to the dealership. Something about a pre-paid subscription at time of original vehicle purchase, and they'll need to work around something.

Any ideas? Is the dealership going to take me for a pretty penny? Sigh.

Enthusiast
    09-24-2009, 11:32 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepgirl View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, so sorry for lame questions...

Here's what's going on.
    I have an 04 Wrangler that I got used 2 years ago. Sirius was working when I bought it, so I did nothing (and paid nothing). Stock radio with Sirius built in (use "mode" button)

Few weeks ago, the sirius stops making any noise, and switches to channel 184 or 185 (cant remember exactly). It wont channel up or down, and when I get it to using the presets, it goes right back to 184.

So I call Sirius last night to reactivate the account. I'm more than happy to pay for the service, I love it. We get it all turned on, Sirius is able to send signal and all that, but still wont work. The radio is stuck at 184 with the same stuff- no noise, no ability to channel up or down, and presets go right back to 184.

Sirius says take it to the dealership. Something about a pre-paid subscription at time of original vehicle purchase, and they'll need to work around something.

Any ideas? Is the dealership going to take me for a pretty penny? Sigh.
    Your car is used, and if it's not under the factory warranty anymore, then YES, you'll have to pay for what ever is wrong with it, might be as simple as re-programing it, are it could be something else wrong with it?

09-24-2009, 12:07 PM #3
    well, yes, I assume that I will have to pay for repairs.

I probably didnt phrase my question well. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be... some direction.

Head Honcho
    09-24-2009, 12:30 PM #4
    I want to say that 184 is the national emergency channel. I have no idea if this is true but it would make sense that this channel works regardless of subscription status (just like 911 works even if your phone is off). Either that or the radio got "stuck" after an emergency test? I would call Sirius XM to verify that the subscription is in fact turned on and whether or not the radio being "stuck" on this channel means something as far as troubleshooting goes.

You can always reset your radio headhunt by disconnecting your battery. This will clear the time and all the presets, I assume it is similar to rebooting a computer.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

09-24-2009, 01:55 PM #5
    Thanks. 184 is the emergency channel, and it is also the channel that an unactivated Sirius radio will direct to. I hear (from others) it broadcasts info on how to contact Sirius for activation.

The other factor is that Ive got no audio of the station. Where other people will hear what is broadcast on the channel (call Sirius to activate etc), I've got nothing.

I think I'll start by calling Sirius again to see if another rep has differing info. From there, off to the dealership I go. Bummer. My long commute is painful without it.

Enthusiast
    09-24-2009, 02:13 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepgirl View Post
    Thanks. 184 is the emergency channel, and it is also the channel that an unactivated Sirius radio will direct to. I hear (from others) it broadcasts info on how to contact Sirius for activation.

The other factor is that Ive got no audio of the station. Where other people will hear what is broadcast on the channel (call Sirius to activate etc), I've got nothing.

I think I'll start by calling Sirius again to see if another rep has differing info. From there, off to the dealership I go. Bummer. My long commute is painful without it.
    If your getting no audio on channel 184, then something is wrong with the factory radio in that car, you should be able to hear channel 184 without it being activated ....best thing to do, take it to the dealer (where you bought it) I don't think calling SIR again will even help in your situation....
    after SRI says they can send it a signal and have already activated it in your name, then that
    would most certainly point to that OEM-radio as being the problem.....SRI has no real way of knowing if that radio is working or not, all they can do is tell you if it needs to be activated..... providing that you gave SRI the correct ESN # of that rado, in your case it has been activated according to SRI......my guess would be, that when this radio is fixed, by the dealer, I'll bet it will start working again, unless it needs to be replaced.....
    Last edited by denb45; 09-24-2009 at 02:26 PM.