Page 6 of 63 ... 456781656 ...
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    09-28-2009, 12:45 PM #51
    Ramsey, I can say this with confidence. After 36 years, and 5 kids.

Always use the kids, that is the road to riches. It doesn't matter if it is Soccer or Girl Scouts. If you tie your expences to the kids, she can't complain too much.

Guru
    09-28-2009, 12:45 PM #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
    Ramsey, that is pretty darn funny ... !

On the wife thing and I know Bill will back me up on this ... "Yes, dear" is the fail safe and often ambigious statement that will keep you out of trouble and commitment if you play it right ...
    You are both funny!

Tib - The Pixie Dust is flying and we are getting ready to take off with QASP. I will tell everybody - Every time there is a successful stock, people try and kill it. They have tried and are still trying with SIRI and now SPNGE seems to be a new target.....why? Because they are flashing all over the place and people are envious and jealous and want to kill it. Tib, I think that your comparison is justified.

Ramsey - Your words this morning must have prompted them to put out a PR. Way to go!
    Last edited by billhart22; 09-28-2009 at 12:49 PM.

09-28-2009, 12:46 PM #53
    Oh, believe you - me, I am very much a "yes" man - indeed!

I have come to realize - also -that planting seeds with one of her friends, eventually, she'll mention to me "[she] was talking to "so and so", and now thinking that picking up a "insert cool gadget" or going to "insert cool place" would be a great idea!

I, of course, respond with "wow, I never would have thought about it...thanks, honey! -- I might need to re-arrange a few things, but, sure...we can do that"

There's also the "you know, anything that you *need* honey...I'd never consider telling you how to spend money" ;-)

Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
    Ramsey, that is pretty darn funny ... !

On the wife thing and I know Bill will back me up on this ... "Yes, dear" is the fail safe and often ambigious statement that will keep you out of trouble and commitment if you play it right ...

09-28-2009, 12:54 PM #54
    Absolutely!

I went on the full disabled list last July - had to face facts and close my studio in January. Things happen...

Anyway, planning ahead, I made sure to mention - subtlety - that it took every piece of photographic equipment to produce the range of photographic documentation of our son's life.

And to add weight to the commentary, I pointed out that her absolutely favorite canvas required the use of 95% of my equipment

Not once has she remotely suggested that I sell any of my equipment, even though I'm not a *working* photographer these days.

Now, I *need* that boy of mine to take up field sports ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post

Always use the kids, that is the road to riches. It doesn't matter if it is Soccer or Girl Scouts. If you tie your expences to the kids, she can't complain too much.

Guru
    09-28-2009, 12:55 PM #55
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post

Smart man! I don't have any kids at home so I can't use that excuse. If I need it and can pay cash for it, then I go buy it. I don't charge anything, except for materials. Then I pay it the next day.

If I can't pay for it now, except a house, then I can't afford it and will go without until I can afford it. If I had to have a liver transplant, that might be another thing..

Guru
    09-28-2009, 01:00 PM #56

Gsae

GSAE is just kicking ass! Chuck, did you get any of that?

Mentor
    09-28-2009, 01:13 PM #57
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    GSAE is just kicking ass! Chuck, did you get any of that?
    Sorry to say, I didn't get any yet. I had a buy in this morning at .40, but it didn't fill.

I'm hoping for a bit of a dip later in the day.

09-28-2009, 01:26 PM #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
    Not once has she remotely suggested that I sell any of my equipment, even though I'm not a *working* photographer these days.

Now, I *need* that boy of mine to take up field sports ;-)
    Get him on a local soccer team, pronto, Ramsey. You NEED a 400mm f/2.8 lens, no doubt. Soccer is a tough sport to cover. Long distances in short periods of time.

Here's your reasoning: If your boy is on a soccer team, he will get noticed because of his superior athletic skill. Having photos of him playing will only help in your approach to college recruiters. Inundate them with photos from the boy's every game. That will lead to a college scholarship.

The lens will pay for itself.

I use a 300mm f/2.8 to shoot football. With the new digitals out there (I have a D2X and a Canon EOS 1d), the lens conversion factor makes that 300 a 400mm. Works for me.

When I was shooting film (in the '90s), the 400mm f/2.8 was my favorite lens of them all. 600mm f/4 was a close second.

Mentor
    09-28-2009, 01:32 PM #59
    My sponge is feeling a little drained today.

I've been thinking about driving it to the airport in my bio fuled car. Then flying in my Quasar Aircraft to the Bio Clean facility and having it's algae checked. OY!

09-28-2009, 01:33 PM #60
    I *knew* that I liked you, Greg

Now *this* is what I'm talking about! And the fact that you're *credentialed* only adds to the validity of the argument.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by GoHerdGreg View Post
    Get him on a local soccer team, pronto, Ramsey. You NEED a 400mm f/2.8 lens, no doubt. Soccer is a tough sport to cover. Long distances in short periods of time.

Here's your reasoning: If your boy is on a soccer team, he will get noticed because of his superior athletic skill. Having photos of him playing will only help in your approach to college recruiters. Inundate them with photos from the boy's every game. That will lead to a college scholarship.

The lens will pay for itself.

I use a 300mm f/2.8 to shoot football. With the new digitals out there (I have a D2X and a Canon EOS 1d), the lens conversion factor makes that 300 a 400mm. Works for me.

When I was shooting film (in the '90s), the 400mm f/2.8 was my favorite lens of them all. 600mm f/4 was a close second.

Page 6 of 63 ... 456781656 ...