Page 32 of 52 ... 22303132333442 ...
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    09-24-2009, 05:01 PM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    Yeah, the pullback was part of the cyclical prediction... with the wait for the middle of oct for the next upswing. You can see on that AUY stock that it should near a breakout point either up or down buy then. ie., the 2/3 of the way into the triangle time wise - which is usually the average for that pattern.

Dollar has a chance to break out also.

The other scenario is if stocks dump and money goes both into the dollar and gold. There has been some mixing of what used to be different market correlations recently.

We'll have to see, that's all you can do I guess - that's why I'm thinking a small part now, with an appropriate stop. Then more on a breakout if it occurs. If the gold stocks end up breaking south, with the price of AUY where it is, can always short it for a decent move.

Just some thoughts on it. Appreciate your input.
    I dabbled in gold and silver during the 90's. It was profitable to say the least. I'm a bit worried that at a thousand bucks an ounce, we may be near the top. But, I thought that at 750.

I'm still learning about stops and shorts and the like. I've never done any of that.

Buying mining stocks seems like a fine idea though. I don't think the economy is going to be so strong anytime soon, that it will drive the price of gold down.

Mentor
    09-24-2009, 05:04 PM #312
    In times like these, we could use a little more what you can do for your country, that's for sure.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    09-24-2009, 05:05 PM #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    Safe entry on AUY could be the classic 61.8% retractment between 11.49 and 8.22... that would put a decent stop on a downtrend in gold if it were to occur... but PMU trades in the pennies, and we know pennies are more fun.
    Doc, Pennies are more fun. But stocks that are in the 10 dollar range are just fine too. I really like stocks that are priced under 20 bucks the most. I can afford to play with them. It's hard to buy and sell Apple, Google, and the like.

Mentor
    09-24-2009, 05:08 PM #314
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    I dabbled in gold and silver during the 90's. It was profitable to say the least. I'm a bit worried that at a thousand bucks an ounce, we may be near the top. But, I thought that at 750.

I'm still learning about stops and shorts and the like. I've never done any of that.

Buying mining stocks seems like a fine idea though. I don't think the economy is going to be so strong anytime soon, that it will drive the price of gold down.
    What gets tricky sometimes is when you buy gold stocks expecting them to follow gold, but then they dump along with regular stocks. I've traded AUY quite a bit, and it does happen, but I played the patterns pretty tight and came out ahead in the long haul... which, you have to be ready to be wrong on a regular basis. Ok, now it's time to see what I can do for my boss.

See you folks later!

Mentor
    09-24-2009, 08:22 PM #315
    You guys all eating dinner or something??

Guru
    09-24-2009, 10:57 PM #316
    Yeppers....ate dinner and was watching True Blood. Now HellboyII:The Golden Army is coming on, but I am in the Man Cave, so I can type and watch T.V. at the same time.

09-25-2009, 12:14 AM #317
    Dinner? Just had me some red snapper, pan fried in butter and lemon pepper, it was the bomb!!!! Just like the fancy restaurants serve down south!!!

Picked up our moose from the processor today. We had it made into burger, breakfast sausage and jalepeno and cheese links!!!

I had to clear out some freezer space for the moose meat, so Im doing up a couple of cases of smoked salmon this week!!!

09-25-2009, 12:26 AM #318
    You know, I drove all over Wyoming & Montana for nearly two weeks looking for a damned moose...always two minutes too late!

Why? Because I saw a photograph of a moose that had dove under the water for food and come up with grass in it's snout -- I really wanted (and still do!) to see a big ass moose return from being submerged in the water!!!

Had a phenomenal road trip -- it was in celebration of my 30th birthday -- spent six weeks on the road --

Yellowstone was one of my hightlights -- mostly because I was so fortunate to have been able to watch a pack of wolves take down a bull elk. They had that bad boy down and to the bone is what seemed like five minutes...must've been a half hour. I was stunned - time meant absolutely nothing.

The side note to this is that I had a run-in with a bison a half mile and half hour prior to the elk-dinner.

There's something freaky about taking a casual walk into a meadow - to photograph a beautiful animal - and to realize that the creature that you're photographing is closer than he was 10 seconds ago & gaining speed. Long story short, I maintained composure/eye contact and backed up quickly to my truck.

There's more to the story -- but the rest is about how non-smart a guy can be...

In any case, I've greatly enjoyed your photos that you've shared & hope to see more in the future!

Ramsey

PS: by chance (or plan), do you keep an online journal of your adventures?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Guy View Post
    Dinner? Just had me some red snapper, pan fried in butter and lemon pepper, it was the bomb!!!! Just like the fancy restaurants serve down south!!!

Picked up our moose from the processor today. We had it made into burger, breakfast sausage and jalepeno and cheese links!!!

I had to clear out some freezer space for the moose meat, so Im doing up a couple of cases of smoked salmon this week!!!

09-25-2009, 12:47 AM #319
    Funny....Moose are pretty elusive, especially when relatives from down south come up to visit...It seems that they always go into hiding when looked for....yet when I drove my daughter to school this morning...4 houses down the street from ours.... low and behold theres a moose laying in the neighbors front yard!!!

Yeah, its not till the last day of their trip that they finally catch a glimpse of one.

A blog???? Nah, Im not the greatest when it comes to writing as you can tell....plus, I'd never get off this computer if I typed about all the adventures I've had over my life.

I'll save those stories for our weekend discussions!!!!

Andy

P.S. I guess you cant stay away from the puter either, huh Ramsey? Its all good..I enjoy your posts!!!!!

09-25-2009, 03:33 AM #320
    I have been completely enthralled by your images & stories, Andy!

I, of course, encourage you to start a blog. Wordpress offers a free blog that is super simple to create and update!

One thing that I've done is purchased the domain name for my son's name - and also myself and wife. I just couldn't bring myself to allow another cat - with my name - to have "my name".com

As of the moment, there's nothing going on with the sites. I need to figure out what to do with them. My son's site is active but is in desperate need of an update. It's www.augustreignramsey.com --- I did a flash site for him through blu.com - I'm thinking that a blog would've been better, though.

Moose. Man, let me tell ya...

Growing up in the hills...I often reminisce about the animals that would walk through our yard and across the mountain.

My son asked me, a few days ago, to take him to the place that I used to catch "crawl dads". Nearly brought a tear to my eye...

Adventures...life is but the memories of the days past, aren't they?

Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Guy View Post
    Funny....Moose are pretty elusive, especially when relatives from down south come up to visit...It seems that they always go into hiding when looked for....yet when I drove my daughter to school this morning...4 houses down the street from ours.... low and behold theres a moose laying in the neighbors front yard!!!

Yeah, its not till the last day of their trip that they finally catch a glimpse of one.

A blog???? Nah, Im not the greatest when it comes to writing as you can tell....plus, I'd never get off this computer if I typed about all the adventures I've had over my life.

I'll save those stories for our weekend discussions!!!!

Andy

P.S. I guess you cant stay away from the puter either, huh Ramsey? Its all good..I enjoy your posts!!!!!

Page 32 of 52 ... 22303132333442 ...