12-03-2007, 09:57 PM #1

Lifetime Plan Switching

I just called up Sirius to switch to a lifetime plan - and asked about switching radios later:

Rep: "you're technically not supposed to be able to do that."

Me: "the website says you can switch radios up to three times for $75."

Rep: "we changed that months ago, but some people still manage to switch."

Me: "well if I'm thinking of switching radios 5 years from now - it doesn't sound like I'm going to be covered very well on this one."

Rep: "no, probably not."

So am I just out of luck here? Is Sirius that bad about updating their website? The math doesn't work nearly as well if you're out of luck as soon as you change cars or have the radio break...

Thanks for any advice...

Head Honcho
    12-03-2007, 11:03 PM #2

Hmmmm

I am unaware of this, but will look into it for you tomorrow and post results here.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Head Honcho
    12-03-2007, 11:07 PM #3

website states

The website states that you get three switched.

http://www.sirius.com/getsirius/plans
    Tyler Savery

12-04-2007, 09:14 AM #4
    The website does say you get to switch 3 times - and the phone reps say that's no longer valid. Has anyone signed up for this within the last 3 months - is there anything written that you get that documents the right to switch?

Head Honcho
    12-04-2007, 10:44 AM #5

otter

In my opinion the rep at customer service is misinformed. That is unfortunate, but you should be able to cite the Sirius website for reference. I would print the page for your own records, and call and ask that a note reflecting the website stated policy be reflected on your account.

I do not think you will have any issue with this.
    Tyler Savery

12-05-2007, 04:52 PM #6

From Terms and Conditions

4. Right to Transfer a Subscription: Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions (other than lifetime Subscriptions) are transferable from one Receiver to another. A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION (WHICH IS A SUBSCRIPTION THAT CONTINUES FOR THE LIFE OF THE RECEIVER) IS NOT TRANSFERABLE IF IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH A RECEIVER INSTALLED BY AN AUTOMAKER OR AN AUTOMOTIVE DEALER IN A VEHICLE, EXCEPT IN THE EVENT THE ORIGINAL RECEIVER ASSOCIATED WITH THAT LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION IS STOLEN, ACCIDENTALLY DAMAGED OR, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, IS DEFECTIVE. A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME, PORTABLE OR PLUG & PLAY RECEIVER IS TRANSFERABLE FROM ONE RECEIVER TO ANOTHER RECEIVER, UP TO A MAXIMUM OF THREE TIMES. Permitted transfers of Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions are subject to a transfer fee, as set forth herein.

The Billing dept says that if the dealer paid for the lifetime subscription, i.e., BMW, then it cannot be transferred. But if I paid for the subscription, as I did for two units, then I can transfer up to three times. The donkeys that answer the phone to sign up or activate do not know this, as my father just tried to sign up for a lifetime today because the factory sub expires soon. He was persuaded not to do a lifetime because the girl told him that it cannot be transferred. I have spoken to three people at Sirius on the matter and 2 out of 3 say it can be done.

EDIT: After further debate, I have decided to switch to a 1 year plan because of the above link that says they'll charge you $75 to switch. I am able to do this because I have not made a payment yet.
    Last edited by kemah201; 12-05-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Change of mind

12-05-2007, 08:22 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kemah201 View Post
    STOLEN, ACCIDENTALLY DAMAGED OR, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, IS DEFECTIVE. A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME, PORTABLE OR PLUG & PLAY RECEIVER IS TRANSFERABLE FROM ONE RECEIVER TO ANOTHER RECEIVER, UP TO A MAXIMUM OF THREE TIMES. Permitted transfers of Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions are subject to a transfer fee, as set forth herein.
    i guess they thought of that too. good call kemah. i wonder how this clause is going to change come merger time...

12-07-2007, 09:07 AM #8

Answer

Thanks Kemah - that was the answer I needed. I may switch radios in January (my Wrangler came with a rather cheap factory installed one) - and put the lifetime on it then. It's a pretty good deal as long as I can make the $75 switches.

12-07-2007, 12:59 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter003 View Post
    Thanks Kemah - that was the answer I needed. I may switch radios in January (my Wrangler came with a rather cheap factory installed one) - and put the lifetime on it then. It's a pretty good deal as long as I can make the $75 switches.
    My Wrangler came with the cheapo head unit. I upgraded to the RB1 Nav unit with Sirius and Ipod adaptor. It wasn't the easiest thing to do to figure out the wiring to get the info to display correctly on the RB1. I frequented Rubicon Owners Forum to figure it out. I bought the $1500 unit for $500 off eBay from a dealer in Tennessee (under warranty). Not sure what year your Wrangler is but mine is an 06. The myGig unit for 07 and later is supposed to be good, if you're willing to pay a premium.

I ended up getting a $100 credit from Sirius after all was said and done, because the girl that switched my account from lifetime to annual, set it up incorrectly. As a result they cut the service on my way home and I ended up spending 45 minutes on the phone with them to sort it out. I had time left on both units, so I ended up paying 132.50 instead of 260.36 for two annual subs.
    Last edited by kemah201; 12-07-2007 at 01:02 PM.