Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    Addict
    09-14-2009, 03:51 PM #1

Study Suggest Wind Power Potential is Much Higher than Current Estimates

Addict
    09-14-2009, 04:10 PM #2
    The Heritage foundation which is a Conservative think tank has always opposed money for alternative energy.

They are an example of a blind adherence to ideology getting in the way of good sound policy. If you read James Woolsley's (the former head of the CIA) interview you will understand that there are ideological Conservatives who are honest about the changes that are needed in this countries energy policy.
    Here it is for those that didnt read it in my other post.

http://www.jewishpolicycenter.org/14...f-is-a-problem

Addict
    09-15-2009, 01:42 AM #3
    Like to hear your opinion on these two articles specifically Just Sirius.

Mentor
    09-18-2009, 04:43 PM #4
    Lloyd

You cont to get me confused with someone else...have only minor problems with renewable energy!

remember...I live in San Antonio...we have been putting our money where our mouth is! We are the one of the largest buyers of wind energy in the country...We also are using a significant amount of solar energy where applicable and affordable! Affordable renewable energy is the problem!

This is taken from the governments 2007 Energy Information Administration
    and posted in the San Antonio Express News
    "estimated that in fiscal 2007, tax-payer subsidies for wind-generated electricity, including a production tax credit, equaled $23.37 per megawatt hour...compared to .68c for hydroelectric power and $1.59 for nuclear energy".

lloyd

Do the math...Wind energy takes a .234 cent subsidy for every Kw/H which is what most electric companies bill for. Compare that with hydroelectric at
    .007 cents per Kw/hour and Nuclear energy at .016 cents per Kw/H. Like I have said...on numerous occasions...Wind energy is cost prohibitive! Another thing you fail to consider!

In Texas...in 2 different locations...residents have fought and won...stopping wind farms from being built in their area. they have used noise polution...habitat disruption...eyesore defense!

Why do you think T. Boone Pickens scrapped his gigantic wind farm plans for the plains of W. Texas...cost and litigation are a huge part of his reasons for scrapping the farm!

Mentor
    09-18-2009, 10:21 PM #5
    Lloyd

You have also forgotten that the wind does not blow 24/7 like left wing liberals. Wind generated power is unreliable! It can be at best 4th or 5th in line for producing energy! Absolutely not worth the hundreds of Billions being spent on it!

You can spend all of our money in China...when the wind stops blowing...the energy productions stops!

Mentor
    09-18-2009, 10:24 PM #6
    Lloyd

Solar...same as wind generated electricity...presently very cost prohibitive and unreliable. Will agree though that they are making pretty good strides with this one...Many...Many years away from being cost effective...

Also, same as wind generated energy...During lengthly periods of rain and heavy clouds...Solar is very ineffective!

Legend
    09-19-2009, 12:18 AM #7
    Do you read?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/op...6friedman.html

Please educate yourself on this matter. And i mean that in the nicest way.

Mentor
    09-19-2009, 12:50 AM #8
    For the Love of God! As stated before...my wife works for one of the most progressive utility companys in the country...Her job is to analyze costs...such as solar, wind, nuclear, coal, gas etc!

Havakasha- let me spell it out for you...In San Antonio...we pay .09 cents per Kw/H plus about .04 cents per Kw/hour during peak energy usage. Wind generated energy would cost me at a minimum... .23+.09+.04= .36 per Kw/H...without govt subsidies...thats 64% higher than I pay now...and we use a combination of solar, wind, coal, nuclear!

If San Antonio dropped the wind generated energy and solar energy out of our costs and we went strictly with nuclear (which is 40% of our energy supply) and clean coal(yes clean coal...have 1 plant coming on line this year...and another next year...state of the art)my bill would drop to about .06+.04=.10 per Kw/H...which is 72% lower than wind alone!

Again, if Applied Matilerals wants to build several solar plants in the US...go right ahead! the only thing stopping them is that the other countries are footing the bill through substantial taxes and subsidies. They do not want to put their money where there mouth is! Why you ask...those damn corporate profits...so therefore...its ok for some companies to make a profit but not others(insurance and oil) to name a few! I applaud Toyota for spending 1B of their OWN money!

You want my honest opinion...we should be developing more nuclear plants! CPS energy is trying to partner with another company to build 2 more reactors at STNP. Would cost CPS an estimated 5.5-6B to build...but would provide a clean energy supply that would power San Antonio with about 60% nuclear energy...and cover our growing energy demands for the next 40-50 years!

So, before you come off as an asshole again...I think that you should become alittle more diverse in your reading...Try mixing in something from an unbiased source!

Lloyd- tell your minion...I have never been pissy with you...I try to not play it that way...I may mention left wing liberals...but thats about as far as it goes!

BTW- have you seen the latest rasmussen polls...falling like a rock...the people are speaking! Oh i forgot...the Liberal Congress no longer works for the people!

Legend
    09-19-2009, 12:53 AM #9
    You never acknowledge all the many billions in subsidies that have gone to the coal, gas and oil industries. Play fair when it comes to helping Alternative energy.
    We have never had a truly free market system. Sorry but its the truth.

Mentor
    09-19-2009, 01:28 AM #10
    You maybe right about the subsidies to the other industries...but what i dont understand is why the eco-nazi's have to cram everything down our throats...Hybrid technology...has come along way in the last 10 years...no problem...But is has been funded by private compaines with some very small subsidies...Toyota spending 1B of their own money...Love it! I am not against modest subsidies for renewalbe energy...but...a subsidy that is 33 times higher than one for hydroelectric and 15 times higher than nuclear!!! come on...you must see that wind generated energy is not cost effective! And do you really want 1000's of wind farms dotting the skyline!

Page 1 of 4 123 ...