Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Delete this "loser member"

  1. #11
    fm no more is offline
    Junior Member
    fm no more's Avatar
    Joined: May 2009 Posts: 27
    shoulda left the thread up , tom taylor likes ordering that stuff

  2. #12
    SiriusBuzz is online now
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    First that is not what I talked about. What I talked about was a program that made it impossible to post the same name thread by the same name poster on every forum location on your site. That would then not penalizing real people because real people do not post the same name thread in each forum location.
    That is not true. Often people who have just signed up to post here double post because they are not sure the best place to post.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I can see that you think your present hurdels are enough, I believe you could do better though by doing something so simple. I just dont understand why you will not do something so simple to make your site so much better.
    Its not simple and not a viable solution. The forum software used on this website is amazingly complex and consists of hundreds of thousands of lines of code. It has been developed and maintained by people far more qualified than I for over a decade. Considering the amount of spam on the net, this piece of software handles it quite well.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I just dont get why you have not done what I suggested before sooner. I dont think it is that hard and it would make your site alot better.
    I am sure you do not think it is hard, the reality is, its very hard and again... not a viable solution. Like I said, often times legitimate people do just what you are trying to prevent and other times... MOST OF THE TIME... spammers only make 1 single post AND/OR do not have the same titles if they make multiple posts.











    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    P.S. Just a lesson in what I was talking about before when people try to say things like why doesn't SIRIXM do this or that, these things are so simple. For the same reason you never did what I suggested you do to solve your spam problem, you have your reasons for not doing them whatever they are they make total sense to you but not to me. I will respect your reasoning behind your decision, as you should SIRIXM behind theirs.
    1. So, investors in AIG should just have accepted that the people there knew what they were doing? Lehman Brothers? They had their reasons I guess. You could have had a good idea and that is why I take that advice from our readers seriously.

    2. You are asking me to improve on a piece of software that is developed by a team of developers. I am asking Sirius XM to improve THEIR software with THEIR team of developers. I dont think it would make sense for you to improve Sirius XM's software, that would be as dumb as me trying to change the core functionality of vbulletin.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  3. #13
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    That is not true. Often people who have just signed up to post here double post because they are not sure the best place to post.



    Its not simple and not a viable solution. The forum software used on this website is amazingly complex and consists of hundreds of thousands of lines of code. It has been developed and maintained by people far more qualified than I for over a decade. Considering the amount of spam on the net, this piece of software handles it quite well.



    I am sure you do not think it is hard, the reality is, its very hard and again... not a viable solution. Like I said, often times legitimate people do just what you are trying to prevent and other times... MOST OF THE TIME... spammers only make 1 single post AND/OR do not have the same titles if they make multiple posts.

















    1. So, investors in AIG should just have accepted that the people there knew what they were doing? Lehman Brothers? They had their reasons I guess. You could have had a good idea and that is why I take that advice from our readers seriously.

    2. You are asking me to improve on a piece of software that is developed by a team of developers. I am asking Sirius XM to improve THEIR software with THEIR team of developers. I dont think it would make sense for you to improve Sirius XM's software, that would be as dumb as me trying to change the core functionality of vbulletin.


    With everything in your post (except for 1) you prove my point. As to 1, I dont think there were to many people calling for them not to invest in subprime mortgages with the profits they were getting from them at the time, hence the reason everyone with the exception of GS was doing it. That was a terrible example, try another.

  4. #14
    SiriusBuzz is online now
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    With everything in your post (except for 1) you prove my point.
    I am not trying to prove any point or argue in the begging of my reply, I am simply continuing to answer your question about your idea. I guess, I shouldnt have taken your suggestion into consideration.

    It is your analogy misses, you are asking me to improve on Jelsoft's coding of vbulletin, I am asking Sirius XM to improve Sirius XM's code when I complain about their now 5 year old non compliant internet player. The only good excuse for that IMHO, is that they can't afford it... which is even scarrier.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That was a terrible example, try another.
    Terrible is subjective.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  5. #15
    FastFrankie is offline
    Junior Member
    FastFrankie's Avatar
    Joined: May 2009 Posts: 15
    Geez, Guys, I just wanted you to get rid of the spammer...

  6. #16
    tucknroll is offline
    Enthusiast
    tucknroll's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: 47n/7e/35785km Posts: 139
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrankie View Post
    Geez, Guys, I just wanted you to get rid of the spammer...
    LMFAO

  7. #17
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I am not trying to prove any point or argue in the begging of my reply, I am simply continuing to answer your question about your idea. I guess, I shouldnt have taken your suggestion into consideration.

    It is your analogy misses, you are asking me to improve on Jelsoft's coding of vbulletin, I am asking Sirius XM to improve Sirius XM's code when I complain about their now 5 year old non compliant internet player. The only good excuse for that IMHO, is that they can't afford it... which is even scarrier.



    Terrible is subjective.


    Charles I think you are missing what I was trying to get across right from the beginning, even back about 2 months ago when this happen. The only reason I even brought up the idea was to make my point I have tried to make before. Which is when people talk about things that SIRIXM could do and they dont understand why SIRIXM wont because to them the idea seems so simple. Just like in the example, I have no clue of the problems that you would have to deal with, when I said what I said you should do. Now because you had the time you explain them to me that was great and I am sure that if SIRIXM wanted to spend the time to explain to 5 million post to people that try to come to them or write in blogs like these they would also have reasons that nether you or anyone else ever considered. Not to put you down by this but I think SIRIXM has alot of people in their IT department and many of them are more intelligent then you on these matters and have most likely already thought of the ideas you and many others have thought of and found out after testing them out that there are many reasons they dont work.

  8. #18
    SiriusBuzz is online now
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,458
    No, I am def not missing your point, I just don't really agree with it in this case.

    BTW, to be honest, I don't think they have much of an IT dept. or DEV department. They seem to sub out a lot of their work including internet marketing and software development. I don't think they have good reasons for doing what they do, I think they are being mislead and lack proper consulting.... AND/OR they simply have no budget at all for anyone to do anything.

    Again, 4 random guys hooked up and built a better iPhone application than Sirius XM in about 1/10th the time. Explain what could possibly be a reasonable excuse for this?

    I agree with your point in principal, I just dont think I am being unreasonable when I criticize this small area of their business.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  9. #19
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Charles while almost 12 million (plus an additional 1.8 million in stock) spent on Engineering, design and development in the last 3 months may not seem like much to you. I however contend that it is. I also believe it is most likely more then the total operating budgit of those Nice Mac guys.

    As for what the excuses are, I dont know. Just like I had no clue about the problems you would have with doing what I thought was a simple idea for your site. I will say though that the nice mac guys did not have to deal with what content would be put on the Iphone app. I find it amazing you found it to be terrible that Howard Stern was not on the app. How do we know that SIRIXM did not want to wait to see if something could be worked out before the release of the app. The point being is you nor I know. The point being is there could and most likely were many other things going on then you or I will ever know. That is the point I am making once again.

  10. #20
    SiriusBuzz is online now
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,458
    I agree that there is more going on than any of us will ever know, this is obvious. I also do not think there is any possible reason for a 5 year old web player to still be in use, this is inexcusable IMHO.

    Your question was about better spam protection on the boards, well... the boards code has been updated and improved 4 times in the last 3 years. Each time the functionality has improved along with he spam fighting protection. The Sirius XM web player has been stagnant for 5 years.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •