Page 54 of 62 ... 4445253545556 ...
    Guru
    08-22-2009, 01:09 PM #531
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    BEAUTIFUL work, Romo That's an awesome set up you have!

Julie

Bella is beautiful, like her name implies. What kind of dog is she,
    is she much bigger?
    thanks, heres a recent picture (in her michigan state sweater (she gets really excited to put on doggy clothes, its funny,

she is a west highland white terrier (about 15lbs)...and an absolute joy..

her first name is Bella and her middle name is Bela (one l) one means white and the other beautiful (can't remember the two languages though.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

08-22-2009, 01:13 PM #532
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
    Ah, excellent! Herd about the movie (pun intended) ... now it all makes sense! My brain has a weird way of skimming things into it's own little catch phrases ... It would turn your nickname into "goatherdGreg" for instance or one of the guy's on Satwaves - Mydogniles - Into "mydongles" - I blame it on the pot ... I will defenitly go rent the movie now ...

All over the place this morning in my backtracking ...

I'm moving to Alaska! Or maybe Texas ... That is remarkable, your STATE pays dividends ... ! We need to send Arnie over there for about 6 months ... Flying back in yesterday from the flat states and seeing the mountain ranges as we got closer to good ol Cali ... I love it here, it's home, we can always escape to the beach or the mountains, Lake Tahoe is on the agenda here soon. (Today is my 11th wedding anniversary, we were married @ The Ponderosa Ranch, in that little white church that was on the show) - But for all this, the state and ... liberals, bureaucrats - even the so called Republicans ... Ugh, I don't know what is possessing me to even go there with this ... It just seems like we are overdosed on everything here - It's a stress filled state especially down in the burb's, in the valley - you can feel it in the air - it's like a constant marathon that never ends ... go, go, go all the time. Every time I go away, even just over the hill to Phoenix the stress level drops - the pace is different ... people aren't as spazed out.

Back to getting caught up ...
    Hey Tibs....come on up....Alaska has plenty of room for a few more....I am a former "native" Californian myself..born in San Diego in 71, moved to BArrow, AK when I was 7 yrs old. I have relatives spread throughout Cali..some in San Diego....my pops and his wife and older kids live just outside of Sacramento..Fairfield to be exact.

We love the beach..with the wife's airline benefits...we try to fly down once a year to hit the attractions with the kids and the beach is always on the agenda, even in Nov/Dec......I can feel ya on the stress of that place...after a week of running around...Im ready to go home!!!!

BTW...congrats to you and your misses on 11 wonderful yrs!!!! That in itself tells alot about a person....your alright in my book.
    Last edited by Alaska Guy; 08-22-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Guru
    08-22-2009, 01:15 PM #533
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Guy View Post
    The new flat panel 240hz LCD's are crazy!!!!! Everytime I walk into Costco they have one on playing a BlueRay movie and after awhile stareing at it, I get this queezy feeling in my stomach...too much overload on my small brain...its wild!!!!
    My brother got a very nice samsung (the best right now imo) and he said he was watching a show at home and the picture was so clear it was like the people were in the room and it made him nauseous .

08-22-2009, 01:27 PM #534
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    My brother got a very nice samsung (the best right now imo) and he said he was watching a show at home and the picture was so clear it was like the people were in the room and it made him nauseous .
    And that's what I fear; TV becoming *too* lifelike. One dimension is plenty enough for the likes of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Tiburones
    My brain has a weird way of skimming things into it's own little catch phrases ... It would turn your nickname into "goatherdGreg" for instance or one of the guy's on Satwaves - Mydogniles - Into "mydongles" - I blame it on the pot ... I will defenitly go rent the movie now ...

All over the place this morning in my backtracking ...
    They have medicine these days that will make all that go away, you know.

08-22-2009, 01:27 PM #535
    Thers just something about quality...my projector image is amazing at the ridiculous size it is...and its only 720p. The image has no "screen door" effect (SDE) and there's no blurring or artifacts etc etc.

You really don't need 1080p on anything smaller than 46", especially if you sit more than 1.5 times the screen size away. I sit 13' from an 11' screen with 720 and its awesome. But i did my research so it wasn't a fluke.

I got my screen from monoprice.com, you can get HDMI cables for $7 there too, simply amazing. The screen for a projector is important only if you buy an inferior projector...or you use it in a heavily light room. A good screen can make a difference, but mine was $300 and does fine (although its pitch black when i watch movies) Some screens can be several thousand $$.

My dad had a 42" and was talking about getting bluray and spending all this money and I had to convince him that he didn't need it. In fact I only have an upconverting DVD player (oppo---get one) so my image when watching movies is only 480p upconverted to 720p, but the DVD player has such great "guts" that it process and sends a great image. So what im saying is I watch 480p on an 11' TV and its amazing...its all about quality products.

Ask any questions I'd be glad to brag..i mean answer...

Youve got me sold ROMO....On the next run up...Im going to pull a little to start building me my home theater system...I have a nice stereo systm already in place with all the bells and whistles...Yami receiver....Klipsch Speakers and subwoofer....I even have a upconversting DVD player.

Of course with 4 young boys, they are all addicted to the video games...thus the reason to justify buying the bluRay player....hint..hint..PS3.

Alaska is a dark place in the winter and we spend a bit more time indoors enjoying watching movies that we cant afford to watch at the movie theaters.

I'll keep you posted....any advice or links for me to go to for more research is welcome.

08-22-2009, 01:33 PM #536

Housework today!!!!

Man...its early here still...9:30am....Ive got to put in a 10 ft section of wooden fence...fencepost holes still need to be dug and posts set....its sunny so I want to seal my driveway...I have football practice in 5 hours....I better get off this computer....thank goodness it doesnt get dark till around 10:30pm...

Yes, we do get alot of daylight in the summer...but also alot of darkness in the winter.....

I'll catch up with you guys later on....my wife is still asleep...she would be a bit upset with me if she knew I spent the last hour on the puter

Guru
    08-22-2009, 01:55 PM #537
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    That bar is really nice! Did you build the counter top on it also? You have got it going on!

It's fun to look at each others' pictures of toys and such. I enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!
    Yeah i like all the pictures too thats why i decided to share, we have a great mix here...

I bought black cabinets from Lowes and built the rest myself, glass block, bar top and marble tile foot rest. The bar top is birch and i did 7 coats of clear coat which turned out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    Romo, you have my mind stirring now for my basement...a projector just might be the ticket. I didn't even think of it. I will have to look around and ask you the technical questions since you know about this type of thing.
    My projector is great and it was only $800, projectors have a stigma that they cost $10,000. With the digital technology now, projectors are really affordable. You can still get the $10k projector that will be professional quality, but its not really needed.

go to projectorpeople.com and projectorcentral.com to do some research...usually you can just click "home theater" projectors and it'll get you started...

There are hundreds of projector models and it can be a daunting task so let me know if you have questions. They are almost "room specific", meaning you need to buy the right one for your room. Throw, zoom and angle of projection are big factors.

Imagine if you mount the projector on a 9' ceiling then there will be some degree of angle it will point down to the screen. Some are built to do this so you don't have to angle the lens causing the top of the image to be slightly smaller than the bottom part of the image, i think its called pincushion. Also, the throw distance affects how much light gets to the screen, obviously the farther away the dimmer the image. The last thing is zoom. You can adjust the lens to make the picture smaller or bigger to fit your screen (how awesome is that!! lets say you want a 92" screen then one day you want a 105" screen, nobody with a regular tv can do that, ha ha) So you have to take into account how far away the screen is to make sure the projector has the ability to adjust zoom to fit into your screen size.

The calculator pro here does the work for you....http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

Set yourself a budget first then do some research...let me know any questions.

Guru
    08-22-2009, 02:06 PM #538
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Guy View Post
    Youve got me sold ROMO....On the next run up...Im going to pull a little to start building me my home theater system...I have a nice stereo systm already in place with all the bells and whistles...Yami receiver....Klipsch Speakers and subwoofer....I even have a upconversting DVD player.

Of course with 4 young boys, they are all addicted to the video games...thus the reason to justify buying the bluRay player....hint..hint..PS3.

I'll keep you posted....any advice or links for me to go to for more research is welcome.
    Good you got an upconverting thats a money saver until the blurays come down in price. The ps3 is an awesome way to get a bluray player, they were cheaper than standalones for a while.

check out the links and sites i posted above...i used them religiously.

you really have to check where it will be hanging and do a little math...check out the calculator link on the post above. Its important to know how far outside of the screen the projector will be....its called "Lens shift". If the projector is 2' above the screen then there needs to be some amount of lens shift to land the image on the screen.

check out page 13 and 14 here for an example http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_3952.pdf

edit: ah its called "keystone" . you want to avoid placing the projector outside its limitations for lens shift or you get a keystone, page 25 on the link above. Using the menu in the projector to digitally fix keystone will strip some quality from the image, so you want to place it correctly to start.
    Last edited by imromo24; 08-22-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Addict
    08-22-2009, 02:53 PM #539

I got my screen from monoprice.com, you can get HDMI cables for $7 there too, simply amazing.
    Hey Romo,
    You can get HDMI cables from Amazon.com too. Last week I bought one for 19cents plus about 3 bucks for shipping (no exageration). It arrived less than a week later. The RadioShack down the street is charging $79 f-ing bucks for HDMI cables. Where do they get off?

What's up team!
    Sorry I've been MIA lately. Intern year is killing me. This past week I've done two, count them TWO 33-hour days at the hospital. Me no likey.
    But I stll follow as much as I can everyday.
    Update on my portfolio...
    110,000shares of BEHL, 750,000 QASP, and a measly 7500 shares of SPNG; wouldve bought more but ran out of dry powder. Just holding these for now. I beleive in them quite a bit. And feel good about being able to ignore them for hours or days at a time and ride them up. Will start watching QASP more closely as we near and pass the 28th of Aug tho. Any predictions on what will happen, guys? And Dave, no more that up/down/or sideways prediction hedging either. haha
    Oh I also own about 200$ worth of MGLG too. I'm sorry to say that I do not believe in this company any longer. So why am I holding? Good question. I guess I dont want to miss a run up with them or a possible release of production numbers and perhaps a share buy back announcement?? Probably just dreaming about those. It's been months since the company has given us anything of real value.

Anyway, congrats on your win Bass. 5100$ is a pretty nice return for a freeroll. I wish I had more time, I'd get into one of these tourneys with you.

Which reminds me, it seems a few of us live in the NYC area. Am I wrong? I'd definitely be up for the first official happy hour of the Crazy Penny Chasers Club. Anyone else interested?

08-22-2009, 03:16 PM #540
    eating a late breakfast and am sneaking on to the computer...thanks ROMO for the links....I'll be checking it out.....just waiting for the driveway to dry up before I seal it.....need to run to Lowe's to pickup some lumber for the fence....later.....

Page 54 of 62 ... 4445253545556 ...