Page 17 of 62 ... 7151617181927 ...
    08-18-2009, 07:11 PM #161
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    im trying not to give advice here to buy the stock, just been posting info to help with due diligence and research. But if you got 2 weeks to sit on a stock, spng looks like its due for a pop, just sayin'...maybe drop $500 on it or something, jus' sayin' jus' sayin'
    Thanks, I'm keeping a close eye on this one too!! The cheaper I can get it the better!

Guru
    08-18-2009, 08:09 PM #162
    i hate to get you wrapped up in our work Dr. Dave, but can you look at the spong chart on a 3 year timescale, then monthly...is that a penant that formed and is the the staff like 25 cents long?

or is it like an ascending triangle maybe?

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 08:13 PM #163
    Quote Originally Posted by thetree View Post
    A question for everyone...
    Do you all have money in 401k's that you dont touch? Did you go cash last fall?
    I have been depositing into my 401k for about 8 years now, small at first, 400 bucks a month for the last few years. I had a little over 30 grand last fall which quickly became 18. It is rebounding a little, but is SO frustrating. I just keep thinking, DAMN, im sure I could do better with it if I was in control of it. I know it is foolish, and I would have to pay the taxes, but it is very tempting. Plus, im only 28 so I guess Im not in any real hurry.
    First - most retirement plans let you pick where your money goes.. so if you wanted to go to cash, you usually have the option to have your money put into a money market type fund, or something else that is more stable. For mine there isn't a charge for switching from one type of investment vehicle to another unless I do it frequently - so I could go from say a large cap value fund to a small cap growth fun to a money market, etc. without charges provided the transfers occur outside their fine print on what constitutes moving in and out to fast. All of that would be under the overall plan, so I don't believe taxes would come into play. Now, since I maintain an IRA also on my own and these other accounts, I'm hedging my trading abilities by not messing with the work retirement account. One thing folks don't think about is if you do start your own IRA, you can trade the hell out of it, as you don't have to worry about capital gains tax while you are trading like you do for your regular cash accounts. So some guys recommend trading the hell out of your IRA, and making more stable long term trades in your cash/margin accounts. Though, you can't trade options in your IRA, because of the margin requirement, you can trade the pennies.

I plan on keeping my work retirement account as is instead of trading around, but when it gets within 6 years of retirement, I'll be looking at the overall very large scale of where the market is and then guaging the transfer to money market. So currently, I'm leaving it alone... but using a chart like this:

Note, the cute annotations for each crash I got from a blog from one of the guys I follow.. and also, that bounce on the trendline is why we hammered the long positions in march...

Anyway - seeing the rounding patterns for these charts, and the other major indices, I didn't mess with my retirement account, as I'm still in accumulation phase, but I went nuts convincing my mother to move her money out of all the stock funds... it took me months, but she cut out in august of 2007. So I say XXX years from now when you retire, to look at broad monthly charts and watch for 13/34 EMA crossings on the monthly/weekly charts. You don't have to move everything at once, but just keep an eye on it.

That's my take.

Guru
    08-18-2009, 08:19 PM #164

Candle charts how to

Here's some great information how to read candle charts.

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.p...o_candlesticks

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 08:26 PM #165
    i hate to get you wrapped up in our work Dr. Dave, but can you look at the spong chart on a 3 year timescale, then monthly...is that a penant that formed and is the the staff like 25 cents long?

or is it like an ascending triangle maybe?
    You mean this:

I guess you could call it a compressed symmetrical triangle...

I'm more inclined to follow the daily chart though... where we are due for a breakout of this pennant either way (lol - unless it goes sideways - brilliance I tell you... totally hedged).

Guru
    08-18-2009, 08:30 PM #166
    yes, thanks dave

heres some info on a symmetrical triangle

Symmetrical Triangles

Bullish symmetrical triangles represent neutral periods of doubt and indecision. They are characterized by a series of higher lows and lower highs as the forces of supply and demand are nearly equal.Each rally is seen as a selling opportunity while each dip is met with buying. The pattern is typically large and takes several months or more than a year to form.
    http://www.leavittbrothers.com/educa...le_bullish.cfm

being that the pattern has formed for spng over a few months id say we're looking good, at least ok
    Last edited by imromo24; 08-18-2009 at 08:32 PM.

08-18-2009, 08:34 PM #167
    I've got three different accts. My work retirement acct is with the Feds, strictly mutual fund type investments, but I'm in the highest risks funds, small caps and international funds. The Feds match up to 7% of my salary, dollar for dollar. I can't trade in and out of funds on it like I can with my other accts, so I only invest the minimum.

Of my two other accts with etrade, one is a Roth ira, which I'm allowed to invest $5k a year in. I can trade in and out with it, but have to adhere to a strict 3 day trading rule on it, otherwise your acct gets restricted by some sec rule! Nice thing about it is I don't have to worry about capital gains until I actually withdraw from it.

And my last acct is a cash/margin acct. Of which I never go on margin anymore. I got burned real bad back when the bubble burst during the dot.com heydays, lost some good money due to not being able to cover my margin calls. Got burned bad on a company called Webvan, it was an on line grocery store business. You order your groceries Online and these cool refrigerated vans would delivery them to your door. They went bk when the money dried up, there was some big money involved with it. Anybody ever heard of them?

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 08:45 PM #168
    Bass - I didn't get stopped out today, I must have set my limit too high, my sell didn't trigger. So I'm still in both puts. I just watched the videos from one of the guys I follow, the maverick, and he is making some good arguments for continuation of the upward trends...

One of the other guys who is big into patterns and elliot waves has 2 cases for the wave count, bull and bear - usually he isn't "hedged", he's on the bear side, but the case stands where you could call one or the other.

Some of the leading growth stocks today made "cases" for bull flags and pennants for the upside.... so we'll see what happens tomorrow, that and a break upward of a descending wedge in futures trading could mean a little more upside. I really really really hope I didn't screw you on this play. In general last I checked my spreadsheet, I'm batting over 65% on winners, and 85% not counting the stupid hold over earnings plays... never do that again. Anyway, any upside tomorrow on either stock, and I'm cashing out of both, and waiting for the market to decide which way its going for future plays, and going with the flow.

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 08:49 PM #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Guy View Post
    I've got three different accts. My work retirement acct is with the Feds, strictly mutual fund type investments, but I'm in the highest risks funds, small caps and international funds. The Feds match up to 7% of my salary, dollar for dollar. I can't trade in and out of funds on it like I can with my other accts, so I only invest the minimum.

Of my two other accts with etrade, one is a Roth ira, which I'm allowed to invest $5k a year in. I can trade in and out with it, but have to adhere to a strict 3 day trading rule on it, otherwise your acct gets restricted by some sec rule! Nice thing about it is I don't have to worry about capital gains until I actually withdraw from it.

And my last acct is a cash/margin acct. Of which I never go on margin anymore. I got burned real bad back when the bubble burst during the dot.com heydays, lost some good money due to not being able to cover my margin calls. Got burned bad on a company called Webvan, it was an on line grocery store business. You order your groceries Online and these cool refrigerated vans would delivery them to your door. They went bk when the money dried up, there was some big money involved with it. Anybody ever heard of them?
    I haven't heard of Webvan, but yeah, I don't use margin either, in fact, after switching from one style of trading to another trying to find my niche, I try to keep my accounts 50% in cash at all times, regardless of how hot I think a stock is. My first go at a penny stock killed me, that was years ago, and its still in my ticker list... been waiting for the next pump and dump, hopefully tomorrow, and I'm cutting out half or 100%, so I feel for you bro.

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 08:57 PM #170
    yes, thanks dave

heres some info on a symmetrical triangle

http://www.leavittbrothers.com/educa...le_bullish.cfm

being that the pattern has formed for spng over a few months id say we're looking good, at least ok
    btw, I am more inclined for stocks like spng, etc. where I can at least see and use the product. behl is ok, since I've become aware of how many guys here on the hill I work on are involved with algae projects that could lead to actual sales... in fact, we are writing a proposal to get into it, and I'm going to ask the boss whether those reactors would be helpful. ASFX looked good to me until that PR. My over "diversification" and job keeping me up too late kept me from selling on the close yesterday. But, I do like the fact its something I understand - the problem with their generating a lot of revenue though, is that other thermometers have plastic tips, which is a money maker... like printer cartridges - you give the printer out next to nothing, then you make your money off of the ink cartridges... I bet the thermometer companies give theirs out for next to nothing to the hospitals. SIRI I like thier product. But again, I don't know many people who actually use it... I can only count me, my buddy I traded the stock with, and my GF's cousin. The other guy who I thought had one, just had a fancy stereo in his car.

Page 17 of 62 ... 7151617181927 ...