Page 13 of 62 ... 3111213141523 ...
    Guru
    08-18-2009, 12:57 AM #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    We had a storm out here in San Diego once, and I got an email forward from a friend, showing the news story... "San Diego swept by Storms" or something along those lines. Then there was a picture of someone's backyard deck, and one of those white plastic outdoor chairs was tipped over.
    That is funny! When I was about 8 years old I lived in San Clemente. I actually lived in California 16 years of my life, because my Dad was a Marine. I am sure that you are familiar with that scene. Back then, they could never get the weather right, because they didn't have doppler radar and such. They just used a Ouija board and a dart board. I don't remember any storms of any significance. Yes, a lawn chair is worth sending a camera crew out for.

Guru
    08-18-2009, 01:01 AM #122

Alaska Guy

Where are you hiding? Come out, come out wherever you are!

Are you O.K.?

I am looking forward to your new fish pics!

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 01:08 AM #123
    Bill

Be very careful touching your friends deck!!! Don't want to piss off the Mrs.

BTW- ya'll forgot to mention the movie Homeward Bound the other night! Thought they were never coming home!

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 01:10 AM #124
    Bill

technical question...when you tear out a shower...does the thinset usually stick to the tile or the wall...if it is the wall...how hard is it to scrape it off to allow a fairly smooth surface to re-tile too!

Guru
    08-18-2009, 01:24 AM #125
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Bill

technical question...when you tear out a shower...does the thinset usually stick to the tile or the wall...if it is the wall...how hard is it to scrape it off to allow a fairly smooth surface to re-tile too!
    It depends..here in CO, the tiles can either just come off with the thin-set on them or it can stick to both and do damage to the green board. If it does damage to the green board (drywall with green wax on it), then just fill it in with thinset as you re-tile. If the green board has lost its integrity from moisture, then you have to replace it. In a standard shower, you can replace it with 1/2 inch Hardibacker. In a steam shower you have to use Duroc (real cement board).

Usually the thinset will stick to the tile when you take it off. If there are remnants of thinset on the green board or drywall, just scrape it off. Thinset fills in holes and is very forgiving.

My suggestion is: Use versabond thinset...the white...not the grey..mix it up like peanut butter (that is close)....don't use pre-mixed thinset, as it is so water soluble that it will not hold up long term. Use a drill motor and a paddle (the type that doesn't have blades, so it doesn't put part of the five gallon bucket in your thinset) and mix it up.

Tip: If you can get some 3.5 gallon buckets the job will go easier, because you don't have to reach down into a 5 gallon bucket as far. It makes a real difference.

Any more questions..please ask
    Last edited by billhart22; 08-18-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Guru
    08-18-2009, 01:49 AM #126
    Jeff,

Greenboard is cheap shit. Contractors use it because it is...cheap and fast. Hardibacker is the best for standard showers. Tile people do a lot of different things. I personally use a 1/4 inch notched trowel on showers, unless I have some seriously heavy tile to deal with. If I have really heavy tile, like marble, then I use a 3/8" notched trowel with flexbond thinset.

I see it all...believe me, people use adhesive trowels to tile a shower and that sucks for the owner and others do it right. After a while you will learn how to apply the thinset to the thickness that you want. The main thing is to stay consistent and not overdue or underdue the thinset. Be sure and cover every square inch of the wall for waterproofing and for grout protection.

Use good tools, take your time and do it right. I could turn this into a seminar, but if you need help, please ask.

08-18-2009, 02:31 AM #127
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    Where are you hiding? Come out, come out wherever you are!

Are you O.K.?

I am looking forward to your new fish pics!
    Hey Bill!!! Sorry for not posting lately. Been on just about everyday, but dont feel like I can contribute much as Im still learning off you folks. Still waiting for my stocks to take off again. Sold off another 8400 SIRI shares @ .54 today I had sitting in my IRA acct and now trying to figure out what to do with it, might hold till a SIRI pullback for more shares or I might add some to QASP, if it falls to .03 or lower. I have 119K shares and thinking about adding another 120K.

As far as fishing, weather was bad on Friday, so only managed 4 silver salmon, about a dozen black rockfish and a nice yelloweye. BTW, it took a little while to find boxes to ship the smoked salmon in, the wife has them packaged now and they should go out this week, be on the lookout and let me know what you guys think!!!!

Alot of talk about remodeling on here lately. Im also in the process of redoing a bathroom, changing out 6 windows, replacing a boiler and installing a new garage door. I may be leaning on you experts for some advice at some point!

Andy

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 02:57 AM #128
    Going over the guys I subscribe to or follow for main market - these guys lead a lot of traders, so sometimes what they say kind of self-fulfills. Anyway, they smoke CNBC anyday, haha.

1) B- main market indicator showed turndown friday
    2) O- reported market correction today
    3) H- concerned on friday, today noted time to cover long positions on nasdaq, not to go short yet. expecting 38.2% retractment
    4) M - concerned earlier, marks most indexes as oversold - expect retractions to hit the other shoulder top bass pointed out.
    5) L - the madman -- looking for upside strong stocks

Does not pertain to penny stocks.

Mentor
    08-18-2009, 06:19 AM #129
    Bass -

I set a conditional order in case i can't watch the market to sell the put if JPM goes up to $41.83, which is 3 cents above the close 2 days ago - this gives it a little more wiggle. Banks in europe did a little rally, but I'm looking for the market to move a little more down this week.

I posted more stuff in the options thing, mainly from my older posts, did some calcs on the greeks for JPM, will share tomorrow.

D

08-18-2009, 06:32 AM #130
    A question for everyone...
    Do you all have money in 401k's that you dont touch? Did you go cash last fall?
    I have been depositing into my 401k for about 8 years now, small at first, 400 bucks a month for the last few years. I had a little over 30 grand last fall which quickly became 18. It is rebounding a little, but is SO frustrating. I just keep thinking, DAMN, im sure I could do better with it if I was in control of it. I know it is foolish, and I would have to pay the taxes, but it is very tempting. Plus, im only 28 so I guess Im not in any real hurry.

Page 13 of 62 ... 3111213141523 ...