Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 619

Thread: Market Watch for week of 8/17/2009

  1. #111
    billhart22 is offline
    Guru
    billhart22's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    my tournament is on thursday.. and getting close to ready. starting to feel good, which is a step closer
    I no sooner posted about the weather and now it it thunder (tons of it) lightning (all kinds of it), rain and hail. It sounds like a zillion golf balls hitting the house. Wow!!

    So much for work tomorrow. It looks like it snowed out....

  2. #112
    bassmaster is offline
    Mentor
    bassmaster's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 1,216
    yeah , well optimal poker skills include understanding of game theory, odds, ranges , frequencies to determine plus or minus equity value. maybe missing a couple more information indicators but you get the idea im sure.

  3. #113
    bassmaster is offline
    Mentor
    bassmaster's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    I no sooner posted about the weather and now it it thunder (tons of it) lightning (all kinds of it), rain and hail. It sounds like a zillion golf balls hitting the house. Wow!!

    So much for work tomorrow. It looks like it snowed out....
    do you ever enjoy the light shows?

  4. #114
    bassmaster is offline
    Mentor
    bassmaster's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    LOL, so my friend (who is really a friend of a friend that moved here) that I went to see Fan Halen with (btw, that show was creepy, those guys were so close to the real thing, that we caught ourselves believing it here and there - but even the band made jokes about it - ie. "Rule #1 - drink as much as possible, so that as the night goes on, you'll think that you're really watching Van Halen") I found out is a full time TA based futures trader. But get this, he hates casino's and gambling.. I think his anger is more directed toward slot machines and games where you have no choice but to lose, like roulette - but I found it funny, and even he joked about it.

    I can see where playing poker could really help in the market in terms of guaging risks, etc.

    i also learned to use my bankroll management skills. i started out with small stakes until i felt comfortable playing the game of trading. and thats all this is to me, just a game. so i definitely try to incorporate any game skills i have into trading stocks.

  5. #115
    billhart22 is offline
    Guru
    billhart22's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    Maybe we can become talking heads on CNBC - it would help the public at least to be right 50% of the time. LOL. You're show could be called "Stock Shop".
    I could be a good talking head. I've got it down. We could do the "Dave Show". You could have Bass and I on there on a daily basis giving our opinions while you baffle everybody with charts.

    I caught Cramer (5 minutes worth) the other night. It was one of the very few times that I have ever seen him. IMO, after 5 minutes, I was convinced that anybody that would listen to him would have to be a complete fool.

    He was banging on buttons that make noises and he hops around like that Elf Geithner. What an obnoxious SOB!

  6. #116
    billhart22 is offline
    Guru
    billhart22's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    yeah , well optimal poker skills include understanding of game theory, odds, ranges , frequencies to determine plus or minus equity value. maybe missing a couple more information indicators but you get the idea im sure.
    They probably just come natural to you now after playing so long. It is probably like driving a car.

    I dig the light shows except when they burn modems out and computers. One time my VCR caught on fire when lightning came through the line. I had to open the sliding glass door and toss it out into the yard. That lightning hits right here and about blows your ears out. One time I was standing by a telephone pole in Aurora and lightning hit the wire up by me. Everything turned blue and there was a big blue ball on the line that took quite a while for it to disappear. That was a really wild one.

    Now it is nice and quiet out now (just distal thunder and some rain). That is Colorado for you!

  7. #117
    Dr. Dave is offline
    Mentor
    Dr. Dave's Avatar
    Joined: Apr 2009 Location: SD Posts: 1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    i also learned to use my bankroll management skills. i started out with small stakes until i felt comfortable playing the game of trading. and thats all this is to me, just a game. so i definitely try to incorporate any game skills i have into trading stocks.
    Thank the trading gods I decided to go in small after I decided to do these options trades on my own... the first few I did on my own were intermediate term, and that was costly, so I finally tuned it down. Though I'm winning, I didn't have the emotional ties to the trades, which helps a lot in developing/following rules, and it could have gone the other way, which you'll see if you keep going and don't set any stops, is a sure way to get into a run of 95% losses really fast. These things can move like pennies, I have two 1 day trades that I booked just over 100% on, so you can see how easy it is to book a 95% loss - which in this game is 100%... as the value generally is a nickel until expiration.

    I think that's key whenever you switch trading styles or get into a new game like the pennies. Until I have about 30-40 of these option trades under my belt and an ok record, under different market conditions, I'm keeping the same price limits.
    Positions: Change so often, it's no longer useful to update this...

  8. #118
    Dr. Dave is offline
    Mentor
    Dr. Dave's Avatar
    Joined: Apr 2009 Location: SD Posts: 1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    I could be a good talking head. I've got it down. We could do the "Dave Show". You could have Bass and I on there on a daily basis giving our opinions while you baffle everybody with charts.

    I caught Cramer (5 minutes worth) the other night. It was one of the very few times that I have ever seen him. IMO, after 5 minutes, I was convinced that anybody that would listen to him would have to be a complete fool.

    He was banging on buttons that make noises and he hops around like that Elf Geithner. What an obnoxious SOB!
    I guess the hedge on my show is that I draw 400 lines on each chart and tell the audience that one will hit... eventually... lol.

    Seriously though, how many times did those clowns call the bottom is in... and then in march said that we are in big trouble. Actually, I saw a great vid, which I should post a link to, from one of the greats, who just looked down when asked about the news and basically said he believes they are paid somehow to pressure retail into going the wrong direction.
    Positions: Change so often, it's no longer useful to update this...

  9. #119
    Dr. Dave is offline
    Mentor
    Dr. Dave's Avatar
    Joined: Apr 2009 Location: SD Posts: 1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    They probably just come natural to you now after playing so long. It is probably like driving a car.

    I dig the light shows except when they burn modems out and computers. One time my VCR caught on fire when lightning came through the line. I had to open the sliding glass door and toss it out into the yard. That lightning hits right here and about blows your ears out. One time I was standing by a telephone pole in Aurora and lightning hit the wire up by me. Everything turned blue and there was a big blue ball on the line that took quite a while for it to disappear. That was a really wild one.

    Now it is nice and quiet out now (just distal thunder and some rain). That is Colorado for you!
    We had a storm out here in San Diego once, and I got an email forward from a friend, showing the news story... "San Diego swept by Storms" or something along those lines. Then there was a picture of someone's backyard deck, and one of those white plastic outdoor chairs was tipped over.
    Positions: Change so often, it's no longer useful to update this...

  10. #120
    billhart22 is offline
    Guru
    billhart22's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
    I guess the hedge on my show is that I draw 400 lines on each chart and tell the audience that one will hit... eventually... lol.

    Seriously though, how many times did those clowns call the bottom is in... and then in march said that we are in big trouble. Actually, I saw a great vid, which I should post a link to, from one of the greats, who just looked down when asked about the news and basically said he believes they are paid somehow to pressure retail into going the wrong direction.
    They have to be paid. I don't listen to any of the punditocracy pertaining to stocks. They are so far behind that when they report it the action is over with. That in itself is a great lesson - nobody is going to make money from the T.V. people.

    I believe that T/A and DD are the only things that give you leverage and odds with stocks. Now with pennies, if a goat farts it is worth 3 ticks. Pennies are so news driven that it is insane. Forum after forum all sound the same. Either they are elated or they are depressed while waiting for a PR.

    I love this forum, because we can discuss things and all know each other after a while. This is a cool place.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •